• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How The Hivewire Horse (harry) Came To Be.

Zaarin

Brilliant
I've been eying Harry for a while. He's so nicely done, but I kept asking myself--do you really need a horse? I finally decided the answer was yes, and picked up Harry plus the pinto and roan textures (alas, I could not afford all of them nor the breeds). Roans are my particular favorites, and I figure the pintos will go nicely with all those Native American morphs I made. ;) I think it's knowing that he's going to be the base of other perissodactyls and artiodactyls (especially artiodactyls--I could really use some gazelles ;) ) that pushed me over the edge.

Zaarin

Brilliant
I'm still debating whether I can afford him, but he does look like one of the most high-quality textures I've seen in a while. :D

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, Harry's textures are quite amazing. You don't have to get it all at once, you know. Get Harry, and then save for some of the other textures, breeds and poses. I didn't get them all, and certainly didn't get all the ones I did get all at once.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And Roderigo's native American texture...the pintos will go beautifully with that!

Yes, that's what I was thinking tonight when I was looking it over. I will be picking up Rodrigo eventually. I can't do it this week, but I will get him soon.

You don't have to get it all at once, you know. Get Harry, and then save for some of the other textures, breeds and poses.

Yep. That's how I've been doing it. I pick them up a little here, a little there as I go. I don't have all of them yet, either. I prioritized which textures/breeds I would be wanting to use the most and got those first, and then I have been gathering the others in small bite-size pieces as I go.

I don't have the unicorn yet. Or the Kiriin. I want both! LOL. After we get paid I will probably do the unicorn first, as IIRC, the Kiriin requires some bits of the unicorn to work fully.

I have the MilHorse2, but really... every time I need a horse, I'm pulling out Harry. I don't render a LOT of horses, but he's such a wonderful figure and I really do use him more than I thought I would. And Laurie's textures are always such a dream to work with, too. They're gorgeous. :D

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Thistle looks much cuter with a texture on! Really makes the character feel more lively. But I feel like a more stylized aesthetic to the texture would be more appropriate to the toony style of the character than the photo texture underneath the stylized color pattern.

Got loads of projects to texture myself. Still having trouble getting my new Huion graphics tablet to work, though. Apparently the trouble with it wasn't related to the other issues with my old computer. I miss my Wacom. :cry:

Back to work with me! lol

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thistle looks much cuter with a texture on! Really makes the character feel more lively. But I feel like a more stylized aesthetic to the texture would be more appropriate to the toony style of the character than the photo texture underneath the stylized color pattern.

Got loads of projects to texture myself. Still having trouble getting my new Huion graphics tablet to work, though. Apparently the trouble with it wasn't related to the other issues with my old computer. I miss my Wacom. :cry:

Back to work with me! lol

Hey Sparky- you are totally right! This is my first time trying to do a more toon approach. (And LOL I did think to myself yesterday while I was working on this, that maybe you should be doing him? Your deer Dawn/Dusk is wonderful!) I was trying for a bit of of a "plush toy" kind of texture but it's not working right yet. I'll try something different. I do like trying and learning new techniques. Thanks for the input!!!

Laurie

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
It's looking great Laurie! Which ever way you go with it, it will be very nice.

And the fact that it's really Harry is awesome, and the UVs work well it appears.

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Hey, Laurie! Hang in there! Learning a new style is always an adventure! Try combining sharp lines (like the spots and ear markings) with soft gradient shading (like darker shading along the back).

These extreme shapes on Harry will be harder to texture because the textures won't be flat. Compensating for the altered texel density can be a pain. ;-) My secret to fixing texture stretching is to reunwrap the uvs in ZBrush on the new shape, paint on the new uvs, then reproject the textures using DAZ Studio's uv set features back to the old uv layout.

I'm always happy to help!