• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Here's another or my nutty ideas...

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I pay monthly by credit card. I don't know about other options as I've been with Dreamhost since 1998 and have always paid by credit card.

But, the Knowledge Base has that answer.

Payment Methods
DreamHost accepts a variety of payment options through your panel:
  • PayPal
  • Credit/Debit Card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, and Diners Club)
  • Checking Account
  • Check or Money Order
  • Gift Certificate
More info here too
The Best Shared Hosting - Free Domain Included – DreamHost

You can chose to be billed every month, every year, or every three years

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Just means they host your website as well as a bunch of others on a web server. Rather than having a dedicated server just for your website.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I pay by credit card as well, but purchase 3 years at a time, because it comes out a lot cheaper that way.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't recall if they do domain name registration, but they may, as most web hosts do domain registration now-a-days. All my sites domain names are registered with GoDaddy, because I already had 2 of them before I moved to DreamHost, so I opened the newer ones with them as well.

So basically you'll be paying for web hosting. There's a Domain Names menu link at the top of every page on their site, so check it out and see. I think the least expensivee is .com, which is the most commonly used.

As a general rule, I prefer to keep domain name registration separate from hosting, because if you ever decided to change web hosts, which I did years ago, I didn't have to worry about the domain name(s) having to be registered somewhere else. This way I leave them at GoDaddy, no matter which web host I decide to go with. Just makes for less work, if you know what I mean.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Dreamhost also does domain name registration.

Wasn't domain registration originally done by a single company? I seem to recall Dreamhost did not originally offer domain registration, but that was something that became available later. Ok. Looks like until 1999, Network Solutions was the sole registrar for .com, .net, and .org domains.

Anyway ... I moved my registration to Dreamhost when Dreamhost started providing domain registration. I prefer to keep both together so I'm only paying one company for everything.

Your first year of domain registration (or your first renewal) is free at Dreamhost.

How do I use a free domain registration?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Be wary of Network Solutions. I lost the .net version of my name a year ago. Someone bought it and sent me an email offering to sell it to me for 500 dollars a year ago. I didn't answer them. Then the domain came up for registration a couple days ago so I bought it again through Netsol. I've had about 50 marketing phone calls in the last two days and hundreds of spam emails. Finally one of the marketing phone calls mentioned the domain I bought through Netsol.

Did you look at Godaddy?

Miss B

CV-BEE
I remember when Network Solutions was the only game in town for domain name registrations, but I stayed away from them because when others started doing it as well, Network Solutions was double, or more, in cost. Web hosting wasn't cheap back then either, but I can see paying a little more for that. I just couldn't see paying double to register a domain name. Just didn't make sense to me.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Did you look at Godaddy?
That's where I have all my domain names registered, and even though a good many designers I know over the years have hated them as a company, and found their web site horrific, I was just interested in their services, which is what was important to me.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It didn't make sense to register through Network Solutions once other companies were able to register domains. Which is why I transferred my domain registration to Dreamhost once they were able to offer registration. Network Solutions was the only choice though when I first registered SatiraCapriccio.com

In 19 years, I've never been dissatisfied with Dreamhost hosting or customer service. Can't say that at all for my previous web hosts. Even at work, we went through several web hosts when we decided not to host in house a few years ago. All those companies sounded good. But the customer service was horrible. Management wouldn't consider Dreamhost because they don't offer phone support. The end result? We're hosting our websites inhouse again.

Clearly, finding a webhost that is actually reliable and good at customer service is just as difficult now as it was 20 years ago. They all promise, but they don't all deliver.

Unlike a lot of other companies out there, Dreamhost doesn't inundate you with emails trying to upsell you to their other services. They do let you know when they have added new features or products, but it's always seemed rather low key to me. And I really, really resent companies that send me email after email trying to get me to upgrade to new features or more expensive plans.

The Knowledge Base also includes documentation on how to transfer your domain name registration away from Dreamhost. I like that Dreamhost understands people aren't always happy with a company and that they don't make it difficult to leave if you're dissatisfied for any reason.

One click installs also make it easy to install Joomla, WordPress (if you still are interested in blogging), phpBB, and several other applications, as well as setting these installs to be automatically updated.

The newest Dreamhost feature is Remixer, which allows you to "build a website in minutes." Of course, it took me a wee bit longer than a few minutes, because I didn't want a cookie cutter website. Consequently, it took a bit of trial and error to find the "chords" that would do what I wanted. (Chords are the individual template sections you add to your page). Remixer still needs some work, but they've been responsive to customer requests. Like being able to create multiple pages instead of a single page.

You'd think Dreamhost was paying me to promote them! I promise they aren't! I just know how frustrating it is to put all that effort and money into a website and web host and then get substandard hosting and service. I switched to Dreamhost after my site had been down for days, and I was getting nowhere with that web host. Hopefully, they no longer exist :wink:

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm thinking 3D_Content_Directory.com for a domain name. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of using "Poser" in my Domain name. Even if SM doesn't care now, who's to say they won't later? Then what?

Miss B

CV-BEE
I like your choice Earl, as it tells folks exactly what it is, but I wouldn't use the underscores, mainly because when set up as a link, the underscores will pretty much disappear, and then folks will think they're spaces.

That said, I'd go with 3DContentDirectory.com. It's easy to read exactly what the name is. I don't like underscores in domain names, or email addresses for that matter. As a link, the underscores won't be easily seen. Granted a lot of folks will bookmark it, but for those who don't and want to remember what it is, no underscores (or dashes) in the domain name is a better way to go.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Rather a misnomer James! Just paid a quick visit and just the front page lists content for Genesis 8 and Vue in addition to Poser! o_O