• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Here's another or my nutty ideas...

quietrob

Extraordinary
Very nice, indeed. Most importantly it's searchable. It makes me want to make a catalog so I can find my own content. Over 2 Terabytes of content and I can't always quickly find what I want to find. Yesterday I wanted a special tent. I searched for tent and the wrong items came up. I knew where I bought it and went to DAZ. I put Tent in the search engine and still no joy. After an hour of searching I finally found it was called Fantasy Camp which was really just a fancy tent. Something like this would make my life a lot easier!

You might want to look up color conversions. They are studies about web buttons and their colors and what their target audiences liked. For instance.
Which is better? The Green or the Red? One was definitely liked better than the other. By the way. It looks like a slight gradient makes the colors look a little better.
dmix.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Actually, the slight gradient makes the buttons look like real buttons, and not just flat colored areas. That's what I like about them, though I'm more apt to use CSS to set up my buttons.

eclark1894

Visionary
Very nice, indeed. Most importantly it's searchable. It makes me want to make a catalog so I can find my own content. Over 2 Terabytes of content and I can't always quickly find what I want to find. Yesterday I wanted a special tent. I searched for tent and the wrong items came up. I knew where I bought it and went to DAZ. I put Tent in the search engine and still no joy. After an hour of searching I finally found it was called Fantasy Camp which was really just a fancy tent. Something like this would make my life a lot easier!

You might want to look up color conversions. They are studies about web buttons and their colors and what their target audiences liked. For instance.
Which is better? The Green or the Red? One was definitely liked better than the other. By the way. It looks like a slight gradient makes the colors look a little better.
View attachment 29398
It's not searchable yet Rob. Maybe not ever. We'll see what happens. But right now, with the Home page pretty much done, I just have to categorize and test all the links. So far, I've got 220 names to go through, and I keep adding more names.

eclark1894

Visionary
View attachment 29398

Umm... hate to bum you out, but I don't think this would have helped you one bit. As i understand it, this search engine will only help you find the name of a vendor listed on this site, or a particular category of content, like vehicles, or Dynamic clothing. A Tent would be way too specific an item go search for.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Maybe slightly off-topic but DM, after switching over to Daz exclusively, have just released a new product with both Daz and Poser versions. A hopeful sign for the future?

quietrob

Extraordinary
Umm... hate to bum you out, but I don't think this would have helped you one bit. As i understand it, this search engine will only help you find the name of a vendor listed on this site, or a particular category of content, like vehicles, or Dynamic clothing. A Tent would be way too specific an item go search for.
Sigh! Now I'm bummed out. But only slightly. It's still a a very good idea.

Maybe slightly off-topic but DM, after switching over to Daz exclusively, have just released a new product with both Daz and Poser versions. A hopeful sign for the future?
That IS a good news. I think more and more vendors aren't going to be leaving any coin on the barrel by excluding such a large portion of the user base.

eclark1894

Visionary
Can anyone tell me if the vendor named "Margy" here at Hivewire is the same Margy Thunderstorm at Renderosity? I just need to clarify.

Aelin

Eager
Knowing that Margy Thunderstorm (on RMP and Deviantart) is sometimes just Margy, I guess it's the same vendor yes.

Looking between members of forum, Margy has the same avatar than Margy Thunderstorm

Aelin

Eager
Too late to edit the previous message.
I don't remember seeing RenderCandy (on FRM) in the list, but maybe my eyes turned badly :alien:
I saw ForbiddenWhispers in your list, which has Poser stuff there too. And many other vendors with Poser stuff.
Don't know if that can help you.

eclark1894

Visionary
Funny thing, timing. I created the current main page of my website using software called drag and drop or WYSIWYG html. Problem is it has it's own format, (like DS), and as far as I can tell doesn't generate any html code that I can study to find out how to do something. One of the problems I have been having is with CSS3 and layout. This WYSIWG software solved all that, except it was going to cost me $50 after the trial version was over. No problem. That's really not that expensive considering some of the stuff I buy for Poser. The problem was that I wanted to get some help with the software to remove some of the blue background that I didn't like, etc. They have a forum set up just for that. Problem is, you can't join the forum until after you buy the software. I started looking around to see if there was someone in the company I could email. Nope. No way to contact anyone that I can find unles you buy the sofware or join Facebook or twitter. Neither of which is an option for me. Might as well ask me to have sex-change surgery. NOT in this lifetime. THEN I read that once I pay for the software, if I have any problems, I can't get a refund. Frankly, this was all beginiing to sound like a scam to me. So I hesitated and didn't buy the software. So just this morning, I'm checking out some Youtube videos and I run across some videos on the very subject that's making me pull out what's left of my hair...
div- tags. I know how to create div tags, just not how to define them or lay them out like I want. Stuff I did easily with the WYSIWYG software. So one of the videos I watched this morning, not only explained div- tags better to me, but showed me how to do the very layout I wanted to do. They even wrote out the code for me. So it didn't cost me a thing. Ain't timing a funny thing?
:bounce::doesnotsuck:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Glad to hear you were able to find a tutorial to help you Earl. I never liked WYSIWYG editors, but they are very popular. Luckily you were able to find an answer for what you were trying to do without having to "pay" for the help.

BTW, if you ever want to see HTML code for a web page, CTRL+U in your browser (well it works in my Firefox and Opera browsers), should open a window with the HTML source code. Then all you need to do is copy it all to a plain text editor, and save it for future reference.

eclark1894

Visionary
Glad to hear you were able to find a tutorial to help you Earl. I never liked WYSIWYG editors, but they are very popular. Luckily you were able to find an answer for what you were trying to do without having to "pay" for the help.

BTW, if you ever want to see HTML code for a web page, CTRL+U in your browser (well it works in my Firefox and Opera browsers), should open a window with the HTML source code. Then all you need to do is copy it all to a plain text editor, and save it for future reference.
Tried what you said Miss B, and I did get to see the HTML code. Wow! this stuff is complex. Some of it seems jumbled up. But theat may be that the code was generated according to when it was created or deleted, it was simply added onto the existing code.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, that's one of the reasons I don't like software that "does it for you", as I then wind up spending the same amount of time cleaning and neatening it up, that it would've taken to do it from scratch myself.

eclark1894

Visionary
Too late to edit the previous message.
I don't remember seeing RenderCandy (on FRM) in the list, but maybe my eyes turned badly :alien:
I saw ForbiddenWhispers in your list, which has Poser stuff there too. And many other vendors with Poser stuff.
Don't know if that can help you.
It's kind of amazing to me sometimes that I've been using Poser for Almost 20years and some of these sites I've never heard of before. MAKES ME THINK THAT PERHAPS I SHOULD add a page to list websites and stores that have Poser content. Something to think about. I'd hate to lose another RDNA.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, time to ask the coders out there for some help and advice. I got rid of my WYSIWYG software and went back to coding by hand, but I found a template that greatly helps me out. So the issue i'm having is Nav bars, buttons and links. If you find an earlier posts of mine you'll see that the links for the categories are on blue buttons, which I kind of want back, but they're not mission critical. That's just my personal preference. I'm trying to figure out how to do the buttons, in code, which I know can be done, just not sure how. The other issue is that I've got the links I NEED set up and ready to go. They're even linked to the dummy pages, I set up for placing the vendors in that category. But if you look at the pic of the mock up page I've done so far, you'll notice that I've taken the bullets out of the text. I could remove the underline too, which I would do if I were using buttons. However one of the sites I'm using to get my info warns about doing this:
At this point you may wish to remove the text underline. It is a common practice for navigation not to have underlines as their placement and other feedback mechanisms make them more obviously links. However, you should be aware that modifying standard hyperlink behaviour (such as underlines) can be confusing for some users, who may not realise that the item is a link.

So should I get rid of the text decoration or leave it for the users to know they are links?

mockup2.png

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've always hated the underline for links. I've always thought links were rather obvious by being a different color.

Hopefully, you will get your buttons figured out, as I like the consistent width of buttons over the inconsistent width of text links.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'll second what Satira said. What I usually like to do with nav buttons is to setup a set size for each, assuming the size of the text on some of the buttons isn't a lot longer, and then set up a background-color. If the text of the nav buttons are varied in size, I usually add some "padding" to the left and right of the text, which helps make them look approximately the same size. Then what I do, in CSS, is set a "visited" or "you are here" background-color, or an "active" background-color for when you hover over the link. This way if a visitor is on a page other than the Home page, that button in the nav area will have a different background color, so it stands out, and confirms for the visitor what section of the site they're in. I can give you a sample of the CSS code that would help you figure that out.

As far as the links in the main content area, as Satira said, I just make them a different color, so if your plain text is black for instance, I would make the links blue, which is what it looks like you've already one. You could even set them to Bold to make them stand out a bit more. That's also done with CSS code, so I'll give you a sample of that as well.

One question, the template you're using, does it suggest a separate Stylesheet for your CSS code? I prefer to have it separate so the HTML code stays clean and uncluttered.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'll second what Satira said. What I usually like to do with nav buttons is to setup a set size for each, assuming the size of the text on some of the buttons isn't a lot longer, and then set up a background-color. If the text of the nav buttons are varied in size, I usually add some "padding" to the left and right of the text, which helps make them look approximately the same size. Then what I do, in CSS, is set a "visited" or "you are here" background-color, or an "active" background-color for when you hover over the link. This way if a visitor is on a page other than the Home page, that button in the nav area will have a different background color, so it stands out, and confirms for the visitor what section of the site they're in. I can give you a sample of the CSS code that would help you figure that out.

As far as the links in the main content area, as Satira said, I just make them a different color, so if your plain text is black for instance, I would make the links blue, which is what it looks like you've already one. You could even set them to Bold to make them stand out a bit more. That's also done with CSS code, so I'll give you a sample of that as well.

One question, the template you're using, does it suggest a separate Stylesheet for your CSS code? I prefer to have it separate so the HTML code stays clean and uncluttered.
es, everything is on a separate style sheet.