• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Someone on the old forum was griping about not having enough stuff for Harry to wear, so that (along with a pet project of my own) got me started posting teasers of my progress. When the old forum crashed I kinda got sidetracked by other projects. However, I've started back to work, after enjoying Chris' new thread about how Harry came to be.

I am going through and re-doing all of the tassels to reduce the face count, since each of the original tassel groups (which you can see in the test renders below) had 150,000 faces to it (Poser's Cloth Room did NOT like them!!!!!!). The new version which I'm working on has 980 per tassel (well, group of three, actually). That has reduced the simulation time DRASTICALLY, but due to the re-done mesh, I actually like the result better. The new UV map for the tassel is much better too; it would actually work to use a trans map like trans-mapped hair.

To lead off with a few old renders:
Arabian blanket 001.png

Arabian blanket 002.png

Arabian blanket 003.png

Arabian blanket 004.png

Arabian blanket 005.png

Arabian blanket 006.png

Arabian blanket 007.png
Arabian blanket 007.png

Arabian blanket 008.png

Arabian blanket 009.png

This is the "new and improved" version of the tassels; the lo-res tassels that I did on the reins were too l0-res, so this is somewhere in between the original blanket tassels and the rein tassels.
new tassels.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
They're looking good VB. I totally forgot about these, so thanks for reposting them. :)

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
These are looking great...I always forget to use Harry...Must start rearranging my Runtimes..

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Thank you, everyone, for your interest. For right now, it will begin as a Poser only project, but I would like to experiment with doing at least FBM presets for various poses, similar to the Equine Dreams packs at DAZ. Of course, that will require saving pennies to get all the nice pose packs available... I'm not all that good at coming up with the poses myself. Adding humans to the mix would also be a plus, but then I'd have to pose them too.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hi, VB - welcome back!

Glad to see this up here and that you're working on it again ;)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Agreed. Very kind of you to re-post and show progress. Good stuff.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I could have sworn I posted in this yesterday...oh dear another senior moment.

Totally understandable VB...I'll just come and enjoy looking for the moment.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Um, I have a question this time rather than a progress report... I can see two possibilities for UV-mapping the blanket: doing a mirror image of only half of the blanket, split down the middle from nose to tail, or unwrapping the whole blanket as if it were lying on the ground. I can see pros and cons for each way, so I'd like some opinions...

Option 1 pros and cons :
Using a patterned procedural texture is a LOT easier, since the pattern faces right-side-up on both sides of the blanket automatically, since the texture mirrors itself off of the center back.
If you want to use a non-symmetrical texture, you're sunk, because you only have half of a UV map.

Option 2 pros and cons:
Patterned procedural textures end up either half upside down or completely sideways.
Non-symmetrical textures work properly.

Any ideas?

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Now for the progress report...

Entire blanket with tassels is now down to 60,000-ish faces. Does that sound "normal-sized"? Render times have improved from 10+ minutes per frame to about 2 minutes per frame. I have included test renders in both "masculine" and "feminine" colors.

Arabian blanket 010.png
Arabian blanket 011.png

It looks like the tassels are getting messed up somehow at the front; will have to take a look at that...

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Um, I have a question this time rather than a progress report... I can see two possibilities for UV-mapping the blanket: doing a mirror image of only half of the blanket, split down the middle from nose to tail, or unwrapping the whole blanket as if it were lying on the ground. I can see pros and cons for each way, so I'd like some opinions...

Option 1 pros and cons :
Using a patterned procedural texture is a LOT easier, since the pattern faces right-side-up on both sides of the blanket automatically, since the texture mirrors itself off of the center back.
If you want to use a non-symmetrical texture, you're sunk, because you only have half of a UV map.

Option 2 pros and cons:
Patterned procedural textures end up either half upside down or completely sideways.
Non-symmetrical textures work properly.

Any ideas?

I would say option 1 since a mirrored image is more likely to be used than a non-symmetrical texture and allows the patterned procedural option. On the 60,000 faces I have no idea. 2 minutes per frame sounds pretty good though.
I really am liking this a lot!

Laurie