• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Sounds like the UK will order everyone to wear a Hazmat suit full time soon. :sneaky:

I see in New York the medical peeps have to revert to garbage bags for protection... they've run out medical supplies

with a hopeless health system things are going to get bad very quickly. So stay safe all you HiveWarriors

1585202378823.png

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
All in all, except for New York and California perhaps, I don't think we're suffering too badly here in the States. New York is a crowded metropolis, so yes, I do expect it to be bad there. Ironically, so is Chicago, but I haven't heard anything about them in the news.

Odd from what I heard US is getting worse, heading to be the worst place even outdoing China.

Hornet3d

Wise
Sounds like the UK will order everyone to wear a Hazmat suit full time soon. :sneaky:

That would be a shame as they do not have enough of the suits for the front line staff let alone anyone else.

Strange how Prince Charles managed to get tested when there are so many front line staff still waiting for the test.

All in all I think the UK is taking a lot of this in its stride. Most of the supermarkets are now limiting the number of items any customer can buy and the majority of shops, both supermarket and local, is only letting a small number of customers in and then only allowing more in the as people leave. Talking to the person looking after the queue this morning she was saying the the local community has taken it all very well with only a few exceptions. They had even marked the store out in 2 meter blocks so people can continue social distancing while shopping. Two weeks ago there would have been uproar over this yet the vast majority seem to be just seeing it as the the new normal and part of everyday life.

Government asked for volunteers to help the National Health Service and others by shopping for others and delivering to those at risk or isolated. Some are also needed to staff the new temporary hospitals being built. They wanted to get 250,000 in three days, they had over 500,000 in 24 hours which I think shows just how serious most people in the UK are taking this.

Hornet3d

Wise
I see in New York the medical peeps have to revert to garbage bags for protection... they've run out medical supplies

with a hopeless health system things are going to get bad very quickly. So stay safe all you HiveWarriors

View attachment 57622

I have to say I find that terrifying, it would be bad enough in a third world country, things have to change when we come out the other side of this.

Wave's at Alisa :)

Hornet3d- yea though sadly some people don't feel the same way.
We've had a few complaints from the self styled curtain twitching fun police, which might go official, so not sure how long we can continue.
But we're gonna keep going for now.

It's certainly better than going out, which obviously I try to avoid.
While there's plenty of food and medicines in the shops, it's the "experts" that wind me up.

Last month they where all experts on Brexit. Now because their brothers next door neighbours dog once peed on the tire of a van.
A van that passed 3 miles from a hospital 40 years ago, they are expert virologist's.

Usually encountered when queuing outside shops.
At the moment most are operating a 'one-in-one-out' system, you stand outside while 3-4 people are allowed into the shop.
As you wait, and us Brits like queuing, it's a certainty that someone will tell you to stand 2 metres apart.

I know I shouldn't, but I like to wink at the person behind me, so they'll be in on the joke.
Then "take" a phone call, and say the fever isn't too bad or the kids have stopped coughing.
Or suggesting that you're a hospital orderly and you're hoping for a mask delivery this evening.
While very slowly walking forward.

You'll know you've got it right, when the expert suddenly decides they don't want to queue anymore :)

eclark1894

Visionary

I feel I have to say something here. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, but here's the thing... the health system isn't "hopeless", it's being overwhelmed, by people who are afraid and scared. Listening to the news, it sounds like the world's coming to an end. and frankly, it's not even close. There are close to 11 billion people on the planet. Even if everyone who has the Coronavirus dies (and I don't believe for a second that they will), it won't even be close to 1 percent of the population of the planet. The Black Death back in the Middle Ages took out almost 200 million people. That was almost half of the world's population at that time. Europe, as I've read, bounced back in almost 200 years. And we're a lot cleaner and hygenic these days then we we're back then.

So, and I know I'm probably going to be slammed for this post, but I just want everyone to calm down, follow the guidelines of the health officials and most of all, try not to panic, as it only makes things worse. As John F. Kennedy once said, the only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
calm down, follow the guidelines of the health officials and most of all, try not to panic, as it only makes things worse.

I agree with this part, but just a quick fact check: according to Google the current world population is 7.8 billion, and it was Franklin D. Roosevelt who said "The only thing we have to fear..."

Even one death is too many if it could be prevented.

eclark1894

Visionary
I agree with this part, but just a quick fact check: according to Google the current world population is 7.8 billion, and it was Franklin D. Roosevelt who said "The only thing we have to fear..."

Even one death is too many if it could be prevented.
Picky! :sneaky:

Hornet3d

Wise
Wave's at Alisa :)

Hornet3d- yea though sadly some people don't feel the same way.
We've had a few complaints from the self styled curtain twitching fun police, which might go official, so not sure how long we can continue.
But we're gonna keep going for now.

It's certainly better than going out, which obviously I try to avoid.
While there's plenty of food and medicines in the shops, it's the "experts" that wind me up.

Last month they where all experts on Brexit. Now because their brothers next door neighbours dog once peed on the tire of a van.
A van that passed 3 miles from a hospital 40 years ago, they are expert virologist's.

Usually encountered when queuing outside shops.
At the moment most are operating a 'one-in-one-out' system, you stand outside while 3-4 people are allowed into the shop.
As you wait, and us Brits like queuing, it's a certainty that someone will tell you to stand 2 metres apart.

I know I shouldn't, but I like to wink at the person behind me, so they'll be in on the joke.
Then "take" a phone call, and say the fever isn't too bad or the kids have stopped coughing.
Or suggesting that you're a hospital orderly and you're hoping for a mask delivery this evening.
While very slowly walking forward.

You'll know you've got it right, when the expert suddenly decides they don't want to queue anymore :)

While I broadly agree with the precautions that have been taken I couldn't agree more with you comments on the so called experts who seem to be crawling out of the woodwork. The media only make it worse by not only pandering to their egos but paying them so say expert advice.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Especially in this day and age when we have technology and medical advances that would have been considered either miraculous or witchcraft in the Middle/Dark ages.

It's unacceptable a country as advanced as the United States was so woefully unprepared for a pandemic. How and why we were and are so unprepared is for another discussion.

James Dyson designed a new ventilator in 10 days. He's making 15,000 for the pandemic fight

The Dyson company (well known for vacuum cleaners and hand dryers) "designed and built an entirely new ventilator" (in 10 days no less) that can be manufactured quickly, efficiently, and at volume. The new ventilator was designed to address the specific needs of coronavirus patients.

Hornet3d

Wise
Especially in this day and age when we have technology and medical advances that would have been considered either miraculous or witchcraft in the Middle/Dark ages.

It's unacceptable a country as advanced as the United States was so woefully unprepared for a pandemic. How and why we were and are so unprepared is for another discussion.

James Dyson designed a new ventilator in 10 days. He's making 15,000 for the pandemic fight

The Dyson company (well known for vacuum cleaners and hand dryers) "designed and built an entirely new ventilator" (in 10 days no less) that can be manufactured quickly, efficiently, and at volume. The new ventilator was designed to address the specific needs of coronavirus patients.

The slight irony is that James Dyson himself is old enough to be included in the 'at risk' group but it is great to see the effort being made and 15,000 could save thousands of lives.

Hornet3d

Wise
I feel I have to say something here. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, but here's the thing... the health system isn't "hopeless", it's being overwhelmed, by people who are afraid and scared. Listening to the news, it sounds like the world's coming to an end. and frankly, it's not even close. There are close to 11 billion people on the planet. Even if everyone who has the Coronavirus dies (and I don't believe for a second that they will), it won't even be close to 1 percent of the population of the planet. The Black Death back in the Middle Ages took out almost 200 million people. That was almost half of the world's population at that time. Europe, as I've read, bounced back in almost 200 years. And we're a lot cleaner and hygenic these days then we we're back then.

So, and I know I'm probably going to be slammed for this post, but I just want everyone to calm down, follow the guidelines of the health officials and most of all, try not to panic, as it only makes things worse. As John F. Kennedy once said, the only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.

I certainly would not slam you for anything you have said, you are entitled to your view like everyone else and I happen to agree with you that in some cases that the news outlets do go overboard at times although I also accept they have a difficult balance to aim for. I also think that there is a lot of truth in your comment as regards one of the aspects of the virus and that is not so much the death rate but the speed of infection that is overwhelming the hospitals.

Your last comment is spot on. There is no point in panicing, it will only make matter worse but I feel there is enough data to show this is serious enough to do as you say, follow the guidelines. I go out once a day for a walk with my wife and the dog and we shop only in local when we have to for our needs or that of my elderly in-laws (minus the dog of course). I am fairly active in this thread because I do worry/care about the people here and I am interested in how they are doing in their day to day life. Other than that there is little more than I can do than make good use of my time, at which point I will end with the intention of taking a coffee out to the summer house along with a good book.

eclark1894

Visionary
BTW, back in my younger days, I used to work in a restaurant. Sometimes, there weren't enough aprons to go around, so I had to either use a dirty one or, in more extreme cases, I'd use a garbage bag to wash dishes. I point this out to say, we ran low on things even when times were okay. More than likely, a manager miscounted or simply didn't order enough aprons from the apron company. No, I'm not comparing one situation to another, but I am pointing out that most likely, those masks were ordered when there was no pandemic to worry about. If hospitals and agencies had had enough warning or suspicions in advance they would have simply ordered more masks and gowns. But people are panicking for really no good reason, and causing shortages for health organizations and hospitals. I went to the supermarket this morning and most of the meat , eggs, milk , all of the toilet and tissue paper, frozen veggies and fruit, etc. were gone. They were also running low on bottled water, fruit juices and even tea.

Hornet3d

Wise
BTW, back in my younger days, I used to work in a restaurant. Sometimes, there weren't enough aprons to go around, so I had to either use a dirty one or, in more extreme cases, I'd use a garbage bag to wash dishes. I point this out to say, we ran low on things even when times were okay. More than likely, a manager miscounted or simply didn't order enough aprons from the apron company. No, I'm not comparing one situation to another, but I am pointing out that most likely, those masks were ordered when there was no pandemic to worry about. If hospitals and agencies had had enough warning or suspicions in advance they would have simply ordered more masks and gowns. But people are panicking for really no good reason, and causing shortages for health organizations and hospitals. I went to the supermarket this morning and most of the meat , eggs, milk , all of the toilet and tissue paper, frozen veggies and fruit, etc. were gone. They were also running low on bottled water, fruit juices and even tea.

There is no doubt that the speed at which this virus has spread has caught countries across the world by surprise. It is also true the, in most countries, there would be no shortages of day to day items if people were just to shop normally.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I went to the supermarket this morning and most of the meat , eggs, milk , all of the toilet and tissue paper, frozen veggies and fruit, etc. were gone. They were also running low on bottled water, fruit juices and even tea.
Not being in America I'm just wondering if supermarkets over there have put restrictions on how many items you can buy with most being 2/customer and essentials like toilet paper at 1? I noticed after the supermarkets had done that there seemed to be more on the shelves although still low on toilet paper and stuff as it goes really quick but there were items that we could get that previously we had been unable to. Also here they have an hour where just the elderly and the vulnerable can shop.
Having been brought up by parents who had been affected by rationing during the war I've always kept a reasonably stocked cupboard despite my son thinking we should buy less(this is prior to the rona!)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
At least where I live, some stores do have limits on some items at this point - eggs, toilet paper, etc. Haven't seen any hand sanitizer but then I've only gone out twice in the last 2 weeks and then only to a few stores.

Some store have hours for 60+/vulnerable people. Unfortunately for some of us, those are REALLY early in the morning - we don't get up and going that early ;).

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol...ours are early also Alisa. We did it once but since then we've just gone during normal hours.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I live in a little town and the grocery store here still has stuff. People are driving here from all over to buy it as their stores are sold out.

I read on FB that the grocery store has those hours for elderly and vulnerable but other people are just showing up and shopping and they are letting them.

I did get out of the house today to meet my son who brings his kitty to the vet here. He did a little shopping for me and opened a jar for me that was glued shut.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't know about other supermarkets, but mine hasn't, but they aren't fully stocking a lot of things. The local pharmacies, however, are limiting it to 1 per customer for a number of items (if they actually have them), like vinyl gloves, paper towels, toilet paper, and such. I don't think they have limits on other items which aren't in such demand.