• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Corona Sadness Support Group

I started a FB group for covid humor to help deal with the scary nights. Y'all are welcome to join.

Last edited:

Hornet3d

Wise
Well I cannot say I am surprised after the way people have behaved here but in the last hour the UK is now been locked down. Even though the Prime Minister did not use the term he did enforce a closure of non-essential shops so that is hairdressers, beauty parlours, those selling electronics, furniture, carpets and clothes (not sure on the position of DIY stores though). Pubs, clubs and theatres are already closed and some takeaways have already shut, including Mcdonalds.

Social gatherings of more than two people are banned as are weddings but there is a dispensation for funerals. Parks are also to be shut and the National Trust has already shut all of it gardens to visitors. The only valid reasons for leaving your home is food shopping (as infrequently as possible) and once a day for exercise be it walking, running or cycling. Exercise should be done alone or with members of your household. It is also acceptable to leave that home to help care of vulnerable people, visit the doctor or collect medication and to work if your job cannot be done from home or is deemed to be a key profession.

Enforcing a lot of this is going to be difficult or impossible but the police now have the powers to fine people so large gatherings would seem to be an easy target. Despite this I suspect there is more to come such as the banning the use of the underground in London unless you are a working in a key profession and some restrictions on supermarkets like enforcing distances in queues and limiting the number of customers in the shop at any one time.

Perhaps picture given in George Orwell's 1984 was close to the truth even if the build up for it was different.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
We have elections on the weekend, I got good news as I was able to register to telephone it in so I've already completed voting. Yay for not having to stand in line! Now I just have to get better...

DIY stores are on the "OK" list, for which I'm grateful for.

I'm really fortunate in that we have a rented garage next to our apartment, that unusually has it's own back door.
The advice I've got from the PTB's is that it's OK to be in there, indeed it's better on two levels.

Firstly, on a personal level. The 2 people I look after (the day job is carer) are both deemed as "at risk" list.
So I've been locking myself in there and maintaining that all important social distance.
Plus I don't get grumpy while they watch TV or they follow the latest social media conspiracy.

Secondly, on a community level. That time and space are now slowly being used for the reason it was obtained.
A workshop for both the repair of things for people within our community, but also to create things for people.

For example, using recycled materials, making basic planters that someone can paint and then grow stuff in have proved popular.
Plus it's a handy location, if anyone wants something - like some bog roll - they just pin a note to the door.

It's also one reason why I've been quiet in the 3D world for about a year. Not just the fun stuff like being allowed to organise and run a couple of outsider art workshops, but the boring stuff of getting grants, scrounging tools & materials etc.

We also had a hellish time about 6 months ago, that nearly stopped this dead - and that's in the literal sense of the word - though more about that later. At one stage financially it was close to closure, but someone kindly rescued it with a donation.

Which turned out to be perfect timing as this whole Big-Bad-Bug thing pushed back it into focus.
Or more precisely a positive focus and not just in our tiny real world, but the 3D world as well.

As well as some old freebies that got missed when I migrated my site to a re-design. I've got a few 3D craft based tutorials to upload.
Plus I'm tinkering with some new content as well, and all free.. so watch this space :)

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I'm home schooling Miss 10 year old grandaughter today...

so far we have done skipbow
had lunch
wrote a murder story and reading Pig the Pug
installing Windows 7 on my laptop

covering all bases of hands on learning... :flower02:

eclark1894

Visionary
One of the things I heard on the radio yesterday was with a problem of closing certain businesses like truck stops and roadside diners. Those diners are basically essential businesses but they're not classified as such. Truckdrivers, especially those who have to do long hauls across country have to stop somewhere, rest, use the bathroom, and eat, but if those places are forced to closed, where do the truckdrivers stop?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Good point. I've seen some things on FB where people are setting up rest stops with food and coffee for truckers. For FREE.

I think I've seen a lot of good stuff come out of this. My community has a lot of volunteers going grocery shopping for the elderly or vulnerable. I live in a small town 30 miles from Seattle.

My son saw this coming very early so I got a big thing of TP for his house and mine from Amazon before they sold out. I've offered a few rolls when I see people on FB needing some. So far no one has taken me up on it. And a couple people from the community have reached out to me asking if I'm doing okay and if I need anything.

Washington is in lock down now. About time!

Hornet3d

Wise
We have elections on the weekend, I got good news as I was able to register to telephone it in so I've already completed voting. Yay for not having to stand in line! Now I just have to get better...

Great news, I hope you get back to good health very soon.

Hornet3d

Wise
DIY stores are on the "OK" list, for which I'm grateful for.

I'm really fortunate in that we have a rented garage next to our apartment, that unusually has it's own back door.
The advice I've got from the PTB's is that it's OK to be in there, indeed it's better on two levels.

Firstly, on a personal level. The 2 people I look after (the day job is carer) are both deemed as "at risk" list.
So I've been locking myself in there and maintaining that all important social distance.
Plus I don't get grumpy while they watch TV or they follow the latest social media conspiracy.

Secondly, on a community level. That time and space are now slowly being used for the reason it was obtained.
A workshop for both the repair of things for people within our community, but also to create things for people.

For example, using recycled materials, making basic planters that someone can paint and then grow stuff in have proved popular.
Plus it's a handy location, if anyone wants something - like some bog roll - they just pin a note to the door.

It's also one reason why I've been quiet in the 3D world for about a year. Not just the fun stuff like being allowed to organise and run a couple of outsider art workshops, but the boring stuff of getting grants, scrounging tools & materials etc.

We also had a hellish time about 6 months ago, that nearly stopped this dead - and that's in the literal sense of the word - though more about that later. At one stage financially it was close to closure, but someone kindly rescued it with a donation.

Which turned out to be perfect timing as this whole Big-Bad-Bug thing pushed back it into focus.
Or more precisely a positive focus and not just in our tiny real world, but the 3D world as well.

As well as some old freebies that got missed when I migrated my site to a re-design. I've got a few 3D craft based tutorials to upload.
Plus I'm tinkering with some new content as well, and all free.. so watch this space :)

Great news and I am pleased you enterprise seems to be working and also benefiting the community. I am not surprised the planters have been popular it is great to see flowers begin to bloom in such desperate times. I have always loved the garden but this has given me a whole new outlook such things.

There is a report on the local paper web site that someone has been stopped by the police who did not accept that getting fresh paint was a valid reason for being out. To me that seems short sighted, if is it one visit and to a DIY warehouse where he can conform to social distancing, and the result is it keeping him in doors painting it would seem a good move to me.

Hope your trips for DIY go smoothly and thank you for your support of the community.

Hornet3d

Wise
Give the supermarkets in the UK their due they are getting the over 70 year olds to register with them and they are then offering them priority over online deliveries.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
One of the things I heard on the radio yesterday was with a problem of closing certain businesses like truck stops and roadside diners. Those diners are basically essential businesses but they're not classified as such. Truckdrivers, especially those who have to do long hauls across country have to stop somewhere, rest, use the bathroom, and eat, but if those places are forced to closed, where do the truckdrivers stop?

My husband and me we was talking about this too the last day. This shows that they have no idea how real live really works.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, it was one of the talk show hosts who brought it up. I recognize that this is the first time something like this has ever happened in my lifetime and some of the people making decisions are either only a few years older or younger than me, so some of the finer details are bound to slip through the cracks. I don't reckon, I'll be alive in the next 50 years or so if it happens again, but hopefully the younger generations will learn from any mistakes this generation makes.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sounds like you guys are doing as well as you can, taking care of each other.

They've also asked folks here, mostly those over 70 yrs of age, and especially those with underlying health issues, to stay home. We can only hope this settles down, and eventually dies out, before too long. The supermarkets and pharmacies in my neighborhood are starting to have more items they ran out of when this all started, but they're limiting how many you can purchase to 1 of each. At first I didn't like that, but it really does make sense if you want to support all your customers.

My issue is that this comes at a bad time, as I had been stocking up on household essentials, such as paper products, because my building is going to be going through major work on the elevators the end of next month for six weeks on each side. I'm sure younger folks, especially those living on the lower floors won't have a problem walking up and down when they need to go out, but I live on the top floor, and I don't think I'll be able to walk up and down 6 flights of stairs a few times each week, so it's going to be interesting to see how we work this out even if we order our groceries, and the supermarket delivers them, because they won't be walking up 6 flights of stairs to deliver it to those who live on the top floors of the building. I'm definitely not looking forward to this, but least least I won't be affected by this until mid-June, so we shall see.
We have the same here. Stay safe Miss B and I hope they delay the maintenance if possible so you can still get your groceries.
From the CDC: CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 38 million flu illnesses, 390,000 hospitalizations and 23,000 deaths from flu.

So, considering a population of just over 300 Million:
  • more than 10% of the population have or had the flu this season. The numbers of new and existing cases is dropping each day.
  • 6% of those died from the flu
By contrast:
  • 15,210 cases of COVID-19 as of end of day March 20
  • 201 Deaths
  • That means about 5 thousandths of 1% of the population has COVID-19 as of March 20
  • 1.3% of those infected have died
These are all facts from the CDC. I just did the simple calculations of percentages.
Firstly this isn't aimed at Dana, but I feel the need to clarify some things.

I used to work for the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories who are one of the companies who produce Flu Vaccine. While I worked there I spoke with many of the virologists who produced this vaccine including one who also worked for the WHO and have even seen how they produced it.

Some things I learnt while working with them:
There are many different types of flu. Some are more virulent than others and more likely to kill than the milder versions. Those figures that people have been quoting here and on Facebook are most likely an amalgamation of all the different strains of Flu. It would be interesting to see a breakdown according to the strains.

Some things we need to consider:
COVID-19 is only one strain of the coronavirus. It is my understanding that there is more than one type and this new type is considered to be quite virulent. Part of the problem is because it is new we don't have much in the way of antibodies built up to protect us against this virus. Whereas with flu we have all had it at least once and have some immunity to it via that and also the vaccine if you get it.

Over here in Australia we keep hearing about building up Herd Immunity to this virus. That's one reason our Prime Minister delayed shut down for so long (which is a whole other story)

Statistics can be twisted to show anything if you really want to try and they are only dry data which don't take into account many other variables.

Please look after yourselves during this time and don't take risks. Please listen to what your being asked to do.

Sorry for the long email but I hear about too many people not taking this seriously.

Hugs

Pen

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Some things we need to consider:
COVID-19 is only one strain of the coronavirus. It is my understanding that there is more than one type and this new type is considered to be quite virulent. Part of the problem is because it is new we don't have much in the way of antibodies built up to protect us against this virus. Whereas with flu we have all had it at least once and have some immunity to it via that and also the vaccine if you get it.
Yep Covid19 is just one strain.

A little bit about coronaviruses I got from the CDC website:

Human Coronavirus Types
Coronaviruses are named for the crown-like spikes on their surface. There are four main sub-groupings of coronaviruses, known as alpha, beta, gamma, and delta.

Human coronaviruses were first identified in the mid-1960s. The seven coronaviruses that can infect people are:
Common human coronaviruses
  1. 229E (alpha coronavirus)
  2. NL63 (alpha coronavirus)
  3. OC43 (beta coronavirus)
  4. HKU1 (beta coronavirus)
Other human coronaviruses
  1. MERS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS)
  2. SARS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS)
  3. SARS-CoV-2 (the novel coronavirus that causes coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19)
People around the world commonly get infected with human coronaviruses 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1.
Sometimes coronaviruses that infect animals can evolve and make people sick and become a new human coronavirus. Three recent examples of this are 2019-nCoV, SARS-CoV, and MERS-CoV.