• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
~DUF Prop Converter~

Since DSON has stopped working somewhere on late Poser 11 times, I could no longer load props and hair from DAZ Studio 4, and that had become a burden to me, limiting the assets I could use in Poser. So I decided to bite the bullet and research how much work would it to be to convert:
  • DSF Geometries to OBJ format.
  • DUF Props/Figures to Poser PP2 format.
  • DUF Material presets to Poser MC6 format.
I have split the project into these 3 modules, each with their own challenges. When I've got each of them working, I had them all combined into a single script - the DUF Prop Converter.
Promo_000_300x350_DUFPropConv.jpg

Here are the main features:

Promo_000_1000x1200_DUFPropConv.jpg

The script operates in 3 different modes:
  1. Load DUF Prop: Loads a DUF prop or figure into your Poser scene as a PP2 prop.
  2. Save DUF Prop: Converts a DUF Prop or figure to PP2 format, and saves it directly to the selected Poser runtime as a prop. Includes thumbnail. The DSF geometry is converted to OBJ, stored at the Geometries folder, and the PP2 is linked to it. All texture files are linked back to their original locations in the DAZ Studio Runtime folder to save disk space and avoid duplications. This requires you to link the DAZ Studio Runtime folder as an external runtime in Poser, which only needs to be done once.
  3. Load DUF Material: Once you have your prop loaded into Poser, you can now drag & drop DUF Material presets over the drop area in the script to apply them directly in Poser using this mode. Materials are incompatible between Poser and DS, so the conversion happens at texture map level.
The operation is very simple, using drag & drop. Just locate the desired prop or figure using your file browser, and drop it over the drop area. In "Load DUF Prop" mode, this will convert and load the prop or figure to your Poser scene, with option to Auto-Parent it to the currently selected actor. For example, if you select the figure's head, enable Auto-Parent on the script, and drop a hair piece over it, the hair will load into Poser already parented to the figure's head. The DSF geometry is converted to OBJ (adjusted to Poser scale), and the DUF prop or figure is converted to PP2 format. Both files are placed into a specific folder (see manual for more details), and can be moved elsewhere. In this mode, no PNG thumbnail is generated, and the OBJ needs to be in the same folder as the PP2 file to work.

Promo_01_600x800_DUFPropConv.jpg

When the "Save DUF Prop" mode is selected, dragging a DUF prop or figure will prompt you for a location in your library to save it as a PP2 prop file. This will convert the DSF geometry to OBJ (adjusted to Poser scale), and store it at the Geometries folder in your selected Poser runtime, convert the DUF prop into PP2, and store it at your selected location in the Poser library, and finally copy the PNG thumbnail to that location, matching the Poser name conventions. When doing this, you have 2 extra options. You can Auto-Load the prop to your Poser scene, and also optionally Auto-Parent it to the currently selected actor. All this happens with a single drag & drop action, so everything happens automatically.

Promo_02_600x800_DUFPropConv.jpg

The last operation mode is "Load DUF Material". In this mode, first select the prop in Poser, and then drag & drop a DUF Material preset, and it will be converted to Poser MC6 format, and then applied to the selected prop in your scene. As we know, DS4 materials are incompatible with Poser, so the conversion only happens at texture maps level. The generated MC6 file is placed at a specific folder (see manual for more details), and can be moved elsewhere, like into your Poser Materials library. Texture maps are linked back to their original locations in the DS4 Runtime folders to avoid duplications and save disk space. For this to work, you first need to link the DS4 Runtime folder as an external runtime in Poser, so all DS textures can be shared with Poser. See manual for more details on this.

Promo_03_600x800_DUFPropConv.jpg

With a tiny interface, and simple drag & drop operation, this script performs complex file conversions, automating every part of the process. It is now finally possible to bring all those props and hair from DAZ Studio 4 to Poser, to include material presets. You do NOT need DAZ Studio 4 to be installed to use this script, and it does NOT use any parts of DSON to function. Everything was coded from scratch, and is self-sufficient to perform all operations on its own.

If you have enjoyed converting DUF poses to Poser with my last script, this one will allow bringing even more contents from DAZ Studio 4 to your Poser scenes with very little effort. As opposed to DSON, every prop and material is converted to native Poser format, so they don't affect Poser performance. However, props or figures with heavy (high-poly) geometry may take a few minutes to convert to OBJ, so please be patient. For regular props and hair, the process takes only a couple of seconds, from conversion to loading them into your scene, or storing them to your library.

The script is available at Renderosity here --> LINK

You can watch the video demonstration that shows all you can do with it, and how easy it is to use it.

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Whoa, this is sounding very interesting, as I don't have any version of DS4 installed on this laptop, as I lost interest in Genesis with version 2, so didn't reinstall when I had to upgrade to a new laptop.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Whoa, this is sounding very interesting, as I don't have any version of DS4 installed on this laptop, as I lost interest in Genesis with version 2, so didn't reinstall when I had to upgrade to a new laptop.

You don't need DS to use this script. You just need the contents installed. I made it especially for loading props and hair I have only in DUF format. Now I can use them in Poser, to include material presets.

DanaTA

Distinguished
It may be helpful to some if you did a conversion and showed DS and Poser renders side-by-side. Just a suggestion.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
You don't need DS to use this script. You just need the contents installed. I made it especially for loading props and hair I have only in DUF format. Now I can use them in Poser, to include material presets.
Oh I realized you meant I wouldn't need DS installed, it's just I'd have to reinstall all my DS products into a "sort of" DS Runtime so I could get to them. My old DS 3 was mostly Poser related content, so that's pretty much in my P11 Runtime these days, but none of my DS4 Genesis Runtime is anywhere on this laptop, so those will have to be installed so I can access them.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It may be helpful to some if you did a conversion and showed DS and Poser renders side-by-side. Just a suggestion.

Dana

I suck rendering in DS, so in most cases, my Poser renders will always look better! LOL

But seriously, even when DSON was available, materials were still incompatible, meaning we cannot import I-ray shaders into Cycles, and vice-versa. The script creates Poser materials based on the texture maps available in the DS4 materials, which might always need adjusting in Poser. If you have ever used DSON, you will know what I mean.

Oh I realized you meant I wouldn't need DS installed, it's just I'd have to reinstall all my DS products into a "sort of" DS Runtime so I could get to them. My old DS 3 was mostly Poser related content, so that's pretty much in my P11 Runtime these days, but none of my DS4 Genesis Runtime is anywhere on this laptop, so those will have to be installed so I can access them.

If you have spent money on these assets, you will most likely want to put them to use. This script is only for props, like general props and hair. I have plenty of hair that only exists in DS4 DUF format, so now I can finally use them in Poser. They can be either props or figures - they all get converted to props in Poser. To me, that's a big deal being able to do this again, since DSON was retired.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I suck rendering in DS, so in most cases, my Poser renders will always look better! LOL

But seriously, even when DSON was available, materials were still incompatible, meaning we cannot import I-ray shaders into Cycles, and vice-versa. The script creates Poser materials based on the texture maps available in the DS4 materials, which might always need adjusting in Poser. If you have ever used DSON, you will know what I mean.

If you have spent money on these assets, you will most likely want to put them to use. This script is only for props, like general props and hair. I have plenty of hair that only exists in DS4 DUF format, so now I can finally use them in Poser. They can be either props or figures - they all get converted to props in Poser. To me, that's a big deal being able to do this again, since DSON was retired.
Sorry. But a little practice would be good for you. Of course, I shouldn't say this, because I haven't done any 3D work in over a year. :rolleyes:

I never used the DSON converter stuff. Until sometime last year, I didn't even have a new enough version of Poser to try it. I had Poser Pro 2010. But last year I picked up Poser 11 Pro on a good upgrade price. Haven't used it, though. Actually, I'll probably have to re-learn DS, it's been so long, and so much has changed. But I now have a better system so maybe it won't be near impossible to work with the new things. Still mired in real life things, though.

Dana

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I never used the DSON converter stuff. Until sometime last year, I didn't even have a new enough version of Poser to try it. I had Poser Pro 2010. But last year I picked up Poser 11 Pro on a good upgrade price. Haven't used it, though. Actually, I'll probably have to re-learn DS, it's been so long, and so much has changed. But I now have a better system so maybe it won't be near impossible to work with the new things. Still mired in real life things, though.

I haven't used much DSON either, mostly for getting hair and props I only had for DS. That's why I made this script - to get that back after DSON died. Good that you have Poser 11, because that's the minimum requirement for the upcoming Dawn 2.0. :)

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
Great script Ken , it gonna be very usable .

@DanaTA it is really not possible to convert materials exactly , as you have total 2 different engines that uses different coding , people have issues with P11 to P12 materials or between Firefly and Superfly , let be realistic here . But having the base texture maps already a good start .
I think the comparison would be a good idea to show people what it really looks like so they don't mistake it for something else. Picture worth a 1000 words.

@Ken1171 you don't need to do anything special to render preview in DS , just throw the hair into the scene and render by default ,and same in Poser . DS by default have some of my stuff in the library like for example the Lumberjack , it have some hair and props as well .

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
As for popular demand, here is a side by side comparison of the original Leiko hair in DS4, rendered in I-ray with original materials with the default HDRI dome, and then the converted version in Poser rendered in Cycles with classic 3-point lights (no HDRI), using the basic material conversion based on texture maps. Looks good to me. :)

DS+PSR.jpg

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
As for popular demand, here is a side by side comparison of the original Leiko hair in DS4, rendered in I-ray with original materials with the default HDRI dome, and then the converted version in Poser rendered in Cycles with classic 3-point lights (no HDRI), using the basic material conversion based on texture maps. Looks good to me. :)

well it looks almost the same , the difference is just in lighting and camera focal length what have nothing to do with the converter , good job Ken ..
it is going to be most needed script for my upcoming 50 packs of hair for D2F lol

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks, Cath and MissB! Looking back in retrospection, I should had tried to match the camera focal lengths, so the renders would at least match the perspective, but hey - that has nothing to do with the script, or the conversions. Personally, I think it looks good considering how incompatible these materials are in real life. Not bad for an automatic conversion. ^____^

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
well it looks almost the same , the difference is just in lighting and camera focal length what have nothing to do with the converter , good job Ken ..
it is going to be most needed script for my upcoming 50 packs of hair for D2F lol

On that side, the script preserves the original texture paths from DS, so if you just copy the texture folder tree to the Poser runtime, you are good to go - no changes are needed. By default, the script relies on us linking the DAZ Studio Runtime folder as an external library in Poser, so both programs can share the textures without needing duplications. This will keep being possible for as long as DAZ Studio keeps using the same Runtime folder structure for texture maps, as they have been doing until now. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have just posted the video demonstration on the main article at the top of this thread. Watch the 15 mins video for a full demonstration of all 3 operation modes, and extra options with real-world examples.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I just watched it Ken, and it's looking real good. ;)

I'm assuming when you drag a thumbnail in the script, it's the same as double-clicking something in the library in order to load it into Poser. It seems to have the same effect.

Edited to Add: Also, this only works with props, so hair in CR2 format won't work, only the HR2 format will.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I just watched it Ken, and it's looking real good. ;)

I'm assuming when you drag a thumbnail in the script, it's the same as double-clicking something in the library in order to load it into Poser. It seems to have the same effect.

It is indeed! Has the same effect as if we had double-clicked a native Poser item from the library, except that we drag & drop instead. We can drag & drop in Poser as well, so people should be used to that! ^___^

Edited to Add: Also, this only works with props, so hair in CR2 format won't work, only the HR2 format will.

On the DS side, it works with hair - whether they are props or figures. On the Poser side, everything gets converted to props. Converting DAZ Studio 4 figures to Poser would be a whole different science. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
It is indeed! Has the same effect as if we had double-clicked a native Poser item from the library, except that we drag & drop instead. We can drag & drop in Poser as well, so people should be used to that! ^___^

On the DS side, it works with hair - whether they are props or figures. On the Poser side, everything gets converted to props.
Yes, I know folks who use drag & drop with their Poser Libraries, but I use the External version in my browser, so it can be done, but it's more cumbersome than if my Library was inside the Poser UI.

Also good to know the hair will be converted to a prop. I know there were times when I was using Joe's (Netherworks) goodie to convert from one figure to another, it would wind up converting a CR2 hair to a prop hair, so this sounds about the same.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The script has been assigned for QAV, so now I am waiting for their feedback. I have hopes it will hit the store in the next few days.