• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

CWRW Product Previews

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
So now I have a new (refurbed) MacBeast with a Radeon RX 580 8GB and 64G RAM I thought I would revisit the Daz Studio Strand-Based Hair. I think a lot of my frustration from before was because it really didn't work/play nice with my poor 1G video card on my old machine.

So I aim to try to finish styling this and figure out how to make it distributable in some form. Mainly not crazy about the fact I can't seem to lighten the mane and tail but otherwise, eh, not yoo bad... I still like LAMH better for the look of it but yeah SBH is a lot easier to use.

So here are some iray WIPs from today- max render time was 15 minutes. ( For comparison I used my LAMH foal preset, same light and all- max render time there was 8 minutes, but of course I had to do the obj conversion for iray too which was about 5 or so minutes)

Using Fabi's Zen HDRI's and a few simple spotlights:

BaseBayFoal_SBH_Zen.jpg
FriesianFoal_SBH_Zen.jpg
ArabianSBH1.jpg
SorrelPintoFoal_SBH_Zen.jpg

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Fantastic! Those are so gorgeous!
Congrats on the new machine! Looks like you have stepped into the 21st century! lol
I can't wait for you to finish your tweaking!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
tx all! Some more "side by sides"... doing this to show you what I see as I learn/what my own machine can do (non-PC/non-NVidia) and let folks make up their own minds what they want.

LAMH - approx 5 mins to convert to iray obj and assign/edit the iray shader then 15 mins to render:
SorrelPintoFoal_LAMH_Zen2.jpg

SBH, no time needed to convert. then render 90 mins:

SorrelPinto_SBH_Zen_1.5hours.jpg

I will make the SBH available in some form. You choose:)

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
The one thing I don't like about LAMH is that it doesn't play nice in animations. I found that out after doing a set for AM's squirrel. Sounds like he's using strand based now.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I haven't used DS 4 in quite some time, but just looking closely at those two renders I have to choose LAMH, because it looks like real hair over ALL of his body, not just in certain parts. The need to convert only takes 5 mins., and I'm willng to spend that time as opposed to a 90 min. render with SBH versus a 15 min. render with LAMH. Just my 2¢, FWIW.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
The one thing I don't like about LAMH is that it doesn't play nice in animations. I found that out after doing a set for AM's squirrel. Sounds like he's using strand based now.

That is interesting on the animations- I wonder if that is true also for using his Iray Catalyzer deal too. What does it do? crash? Or does the hair end up looking weird or something?

I have a few of his products- they come with an "old school" LAMH version (for 3Delight), Iray Catalyzer version of LAMH and the new SBH hair too. I have a lot of respect for him for doing all that work. I am really impressed how closely he has been able to match the SBH versions to his LAMH versions. I still need to learn the styling tools of SBH. What I have seen so far just is not intuitive to me like LAMH's are.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Harry for Poser will not have these nice pony mane and tail options though, correct?

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I haven't used DS 4 in quite some time, but just looking closely at those two renders I have to choose LAMH, because it looks like real hair over ALL of his body, not just in certain parts. The need to convert only takes 5 mins., and I'm willng to spend that time as opposed to a 90 min. render with SBH versus a 15 min. render with LAMH. Just my 2¢, FWIW.

Yeah I like the LAMH a lot better too. I also may not be using the SBH right- I need to go back in and look at what I have done/my settings etc- these were made more than 2 years ago, ot long after it came out and I didn't know ANYTHING about it:) and have not been modified since.

I do wonder if someone with a more Daz Studio "compliant" PC machine with the correct NVidia card might get a lot faster results. I don't know. That is why I mentioned what my Mac has vs what a large majority of 3d folks use. LOL Dan tried to talk me into getting a PC with a NVidia card, but I just couldn't do it:) LAMH seems to do well on Macs.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Harry for Poser will not have these nice pony mane and tail options though, correct?

Correct, at least until when or if I figure out the Poser Hair Room or Rendo improves it/hopefully makes it easier to use. Sorry!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
So on another note, I wanted to share this recent pic of my adopted lion Gus! He is doing so well now at the Sanctuary- he has his own pride now -with 2 other white lions to boot! He got to be the "cover boy" on the latest edition of their magazine. :-D

GusSummer2021.jpg

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
That is interesting on the animations- I wonder if that is true also for using his Iray Catalyzer deal too. What does it do? crash? Or does the hair end up looking weird or something?

I have a few of his products- they come with an "old school" LAMH version (for 3Delight), Iray Catalyzer version of LAMH and the new SBH hair too. I have a lot of respect for him for doing all that work. I am really impressed how closely he has been able to match the SBH versions to his LAMH versions. I still need to learn the styling tools of SBH. What I have seen so far just is not intuitive to me like LAMH's are.
The renders always crash.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
So I've been meaning to post these later SBH attempts. Got busy dealing with other things in life..

So again I am again thinking "garibaldi"/ds sbh hair really is a lot more for use in making human hair. I watched a very good long video tute on it and now have a much better understanding of it.. But what that also made me realize is that the selection tools and the styling tools again are a lot harder to use for fur as opposed to human hair on the head. Also there is no mirroring of your stylng etc which is a mega pain for fur...as well as no ability to "turn on" selecting only the hairs facing you as opposed to the ones on the other side you can't see. Again a mega pain... Obviously some PAs at Daz have figured out how to work around those things but ugh...lots more work. And I still can't get it render very fast...so I'm not sure how much time I will spend working up SBH for our HW critters. I WILL continue to do LAMH presets. One I want to start work on is for our Gorilla for Dusk.

I will make this foal SBH avaiable at some point when I figure out how to distribute it, for those who prefer SBH.

Also FYI I finally was able to do a load of updating on my cwrw3d.com website. I mainly need to add a Dusk/Dawn section to the products page But of course everything is at Rendo now so going there is always a good idea:) The only thing is that is unique to my website is some older Mil Horse and DH2 products.

FoalSorrelPinto_SBHstyle3_a.jpg
FoalSorrelPinto_SBHstyle3_b.jpg
FoalBaseBay_SBHstyle2_a.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Which materials are you planning to offer with the strand-based hair? Most of the artists doing hair over on DAZ are only offering Iray, but I see that AprilYSH is still doing 3DL matts for all her stuff. Whether it's strand-based or not.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Good question! Seems like the default is iray. I haven't tried doing 3DL versions yet. Not sure what the base shader might be for that. I am not looking to sell these, so they may just be iray. But I will take a look and see what I find out.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hmm.. so the shader calls itself "Blended Dual Lobe Hair". Nothing about iray or etc. Will try a render in 3DL next.