• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

CWRW Product Previews

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
He actually looks pretty good too with the Mid Length Hair- I just use a lot of back all and twist all etc among other of the movement morphs to get a wild look to it. And def SAV's Yannis and Spartucus Hair look good on him:)

I have used the MidLength hair on other renders, so I wanted something different for this character. I will look for the ones you have mentioned. ^^

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Yes indeedy this is most spectacular. I'm certainly not one to get all gooey over a male figure, but I do appreciate good talent and effort that results in a great look. Every aspect if this is awesome. But, it's really the whole package and presentation that is so compelling with what Laurie manages to put together.

Kudos!!!

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
I had a similar experience with iRay. I grew impatient when it renders transparencies like eyes and hair. It was really testing my patience. I have done a couple of promo images for the Jungle Weapons Pack last night with SuoerFly and it's FAST no matter what I threw on it, with or without transparency. The second image took 38 seconds at 600x800 using GPU. Iray takes that long just to start rendering, so if I need to adjust a material, it can get frustrating.

But I need to get another hair for the renders. It's difficult for me to work male characters. ;p

If you haven't converted the shaders to Iray then DS will take time auto converting them before it starts rendering.
I've never had problems with Iray and transparencies taking longer to render, although I'm rendering with CPU only so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@tparo I have used the contents that already ship with iRay-specific shaders, so there shouldn't be any conversions involved. In reality it would be difficult to compare iRay and Cycles performances without using the exact same scene, only with the shaders converted to respective native formats. At least in GPU performance, Cycles seem to perform quite better than iRay in my personal experience. In general, I am used to completing renders in 60 seconds in Cycles (mid quality), while the same scene tends to take twice the time in iRay using GPU in both cases. I have used the same number of samples per pixel to make a fair comparison. The amount and size of shaders with transparency definitely affects both rendering engines. The only rendering engine I know that is not affected by transparency is Octane, but then its performance leaves both iRay and Cycles behind by far - but it's not free, so it makes no sense to compare. :)

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
@Ken1171 Re: Octane alpha transparency on/off have (had? don't remember which 2.x I tested on it) huge performance impact (2x-3x), number of transparency polygons when on - not so. Can compare notes on Iray/SF performance somewhere in Software forums if you interested.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@phdubrov I use Octane almost everyday, and I can't notice any difference with or without transparency. I have observed the same kind of comments at the Otoy forums, where thousands of Octane users share information. I know it can slow down over transparency with caustics, but then again, all other rendering engines choke on that. Since Octane is a PBR, we can disable raytracing shadows over transparency, but not transparency itself. I think that is disabled by default.

Maybe it depends on the computer specs, and kind of contents used in the scenes. In spite of my personal experience with iRay and Cycles, people can check online benchmarks to see performance chart comparisons. Better not detract from the subject in this thread with it. :)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Taka is now in QA. Here is another little preview! (Poser Firefly render with SAV's Spartucus Hair)

Laurie

View attachment 9773

oh My Gosh He's Gorgeous! I do think I'd like to fool around a little with the dirt's displacement mapping … can't help it, I love to fiddle with nodes. :) It looks like the scars have displacement already but in my hands he might get dirtier … *giggling madly*… :geek:

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Working madly to get several products out including Taka.

This is a WIP of another character yet unnamed who will come with "Dante for Dusk".

DanteCharacter2.jpg

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OMG Laurie, what a good looking character, and his skin texture is perfect!

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Another winner Laurie. Great strong look, majestic really!!

It's really unique. I love it Laurie.