• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

CWRW Product Previews

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
My understanding is that the term calico is used when there is a great deal of white or cream and the colors are mostly in identifiable patches, and that tortoiseshell is used when there is just about no white, (occasionally some cream, but very little) and the black and orange are more mixed than separate.

But yeah, pretty much all 3-color cats are female. Or sterile.

I remember one cat who looked like a perfectly typical orange tabby that a graffiti artist had gone at with a can of black paint. The black really did look applied on afterwards.

Oh, and the colors can be pastel, too. Grey instead of black and very pale orange. These are usually of the calico type..

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You beat me to it Rae. I just went to Wikipedia, and read the same thing you quoted.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
The orange tabby looks great btw. It, like dapple grey for horses is *such* a classic color for cats.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
haha Miss B, I knew the info but couldn't put it words so I quoted wiki (hence it has the US spelling that I don't normally do).

I think you're right JOdel, that Calico's are Torties with a lot of white, but "Calico's" pretty much an American term. We still call them Tortoiseshell with White here although with all the US TV we watch alot of their terms become ours :D

I've always been fascinated by genetics and colour (mostly in horses but because I've owned cats and dogs too I've looked into some of them as well). Just found this site with interesting info: Tortoiseshell and Tricolour Cats

Last edited:

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Love this work Laurie. Amazing. Beautiful renders (way to go Dan with assistance). And fantastic map work Laurie!!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks Chris and all!

Love Calicos- hope to do one at some point!

So here is the Orange Tabby 4 tweaked in Superfly- added translucency and more since Dan and I tweaked the iRay version. Am updating the Firefly and 3Delight versions as well. So blame Dan I am so late on this:) But! It will be totally worth it.

OrangeTabby4SF1021b.jpg

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
NapalmArsenal,
I was curious to see how a Calico cat looks like and I looked it up. I can honestly say, I have never seen a cat like that in my parts of the world. Looks like the nature hasn't decided which fur color to give him.
Very unusual, to say the least. But equally amazing!
What part of the world are you from?

Oh you want to see a really strange critter look up werewolf cat.

Rae is also right about the calico cat as they are all females.

A calico kitty will be sweet Laurie!! Your Maine Coon would be a nice one too!

Last edited:

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
What part of the world are you from?

Oh you want to see a really strange critter look up werewolf cat.

Rae is also right about the calico cat as they are all females.

A calico kitty will be sweet Laurie!! Your Maine Coon would be a nice one too!

LOL Dan is from Romania! So more like VampKitty:)