• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

CatsEyes for Sora

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Pendraia I was initially thinking that way, that I could simply replace the existing RSL nodes by their MDL equivalents, but what happened was that I didn't recognize anything on Iray bricks because they seem to use a different method for building shaders. That sort of makes sense, since MDL on its own is a different shader programming language. RSL was relatively simpler because I immediately recognized the RSL binary math nodes when I saw their inputs/outputs and internal properties - they look very similar to the Renderman equivalents in Poser. It's just different implementations of the same shader programming language, so even though the bricks are different, the general structure is familiar. RSL is even similar in structure to other completely different shader languages like V-Ray and Octane, so I can reuse the same ideas in all of them.

We don't have that with MDL because it has a different way of doing things. I didn't recognize the terms used to define a shader, like "tops" and "coatings". If I don't understand the terms, I will not be able to create shaders with it. It was so bad that I couldn't even recognize what bricks could hold a texture or bump map. I also couldn't recognize the parameters on root nodes, so I am setting Iray aside until some documentation is presented. Otherwise I am just wasting my time, for as it stands I couldn't make heads or tails with it.

@RAMWolff In the vague and fragmented documentation, DAZ has mentioned that Iray implements low level MDL bricks in a "higher level" interface, which is a contradiction right there. Anyone who has already played with the existing Renderman RSL shaders in DS can tell this is pretty low level, even more the MDL bricks. Properties are named "value1", "value2", etc, as if people already know what they are and don't need proper names. The only reason I could build EZ-MAT shaders rather quickly in ShaderMixer was because I have years of experience working with Renderman RSL nodes, so I already knew what those properties were even if they won't show their actual names in the bricks. That's why I will not try to figure out MDL shaders just by playing with them at random, because shader languages require us to first understand the nodes structure - or else your guess is as good as mine.

I would also like to say that I didn't just figured out Renderman RSL out of nowhere. I have 2 degrees in computer science with major in 3DCG, so I had previous experience writing 3D applications from scratch, and my Masters degree dissertation was on the field of discreet 3D shader projections. Renderman RSL is more of less from that period, but MDL is something completely new from nVidia. So 3Delight and Iray are apples and oranges.

But here's the thing - Renderman (Firefly) and Cycles (Superfly) are ALSO apples and oranges, but SMS did a wonderful job making them blend seamlessly in Poser. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to accomplish that. The integration is so great that shaders we create in Poser can be shared with the Blender3D community, which over time can make Poser and Blender3D shaders to be integrated into the software for all to share and use. Conversely, DS is given away for free, and DAZ didn't want to spend that kind of time and money integrating the two sets of shaders together for us. Like it says in the disclaimer, we get the software "as is", and we are not entitled to complain about it. They also didn't care to write documentation on how to use MDL in DS. Instead, they point us to the nVidia website to read white papers on MDL shader programming language technical mambo-jumbo.

Nonetheless, I saw DAZ vendors creating MDL shaders, so there must be another source they are getting the information from.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Good read. Yea, there is probably a couple of published artists at DAZ that knows the ins and outs and have some hidden forum, like here, where they all share their secrets and cackled together! lmao

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That's fair enough Ken...I didn't do an Iray shader for Diva for the very same reason...I didn't understand how it works well enough to do a good job.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@RAMWolff Yes, that's my bet as well! ^__^

@phdubrov Thanks for the link! That's the technical white paper for MDL shader language programmers I was referring to. DAZ has already created the bricks for us, so we don't have to learn how to program in MDL language. I never actually learned how to program with RSL, but I am proficient with the nodes created with it. I think that's the part where documentation is missing. DAZ has created the bricks, so only they can document them. :)

@Pendraia That's the thing - some vendors are already making MDL shaders for their products, so they MUST be getting the info from somewhere - definitely not from the DAZ online docs. These only [vaguely] document RSL for Renderman (3Delight and Firefly). Therefore I am setting Iray apart until that info becomes public.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Wasn't the Shader system developed by someone that was on the old DAZ forums years back? I thought I used to have that zip somewhere, it's come a long way since DAZ bought the code from him but still needs more refinement imho!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I don't know, but I think many of the features in both Poser and DS came from 3rd party libraries. For example, the cloth solver in Poser is the same one used in 3DSMAX 9. The awesome Material Room is also a 3rd party API that does NOT grant permission to open it to other companies, which explains why no other program could ever support Poser shader nodes - not even SMS' own Fusion Plugins.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Well you can't blame them for being proprietary about such things. It's just business! lol

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It sure is. The same happened to the 3rd party cloth solver plugin in DS, where they still won't allow anyone to create contents for it.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yup and I vote with my wallet on that one. I stopped supporting that bs. Kinda pissed me off actually! Now we have 2 or 3 folks working on a solution so screw OptiTex or what ever they are called! Grrrrrrrrrr

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That Softbody on GPU idea seems very promising. The demo video was impressive. I hope it works out. ^^

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Me too, you just can't know. I was gifted with that script from Renderosity that makes use of the draping from OptiTex but it didn't like my pants I was working on a while back. So I need something better and more stable. I tried using the Poser Cloth Room, that was so convoluted and over my head I gave up after a few failed attempts.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The Poser Cloth Room is actually very advanced, and that comes at the cost of having to deal with a lot of parameters, and almost every parameter has a huge impact on the final results. Many times people have suggested SMS could simplify the interface for beginners, but I prefer to have everything exposed so I can tweak cloth as much as needed. What I think is really missing there is multi-threaded processing. But the truth is that multi-threaded parallel programming is very complicated, and most programmers don't know how to do it. That's why I get excited whenever someone takes the initiative to port that into the GPU, which nowadays has become much more powerful than a CPU for parallel programming.

As a computer scientist, I believe multi-threaded GPU processing is the way of the future. Raytraced renders used to take hours in the past, and now Octane can do it in almost real-time. Cloth sims still take long to compute, but on the GPU it could be as good as real-time. We already have real-time cloth and hair simulations in iClone and MMD, even without GPU support, so I guess Poser still living on the past when it comes to that.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Come to think of it, MMD is free and it has already included real-time Bullet engine cloth and hair sims using just regular CPU for years. iClone 5 had included the same feature with the Bullet engine, while version 6 now uses the nVidia PhysX engine. Poser already ships with the Bullet engine, so the potential is there. :)

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
What's MMD, Ken? Just curious is all and if I stick it in a search engine you know where it would take ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
MMD = MikuMikuDance. It's a FREE animation tool from Japan that uses some of the CUTEST Anime figures I have ever seen around. The program used to be in Japanese-only, but now there are English versions available. You can see an example animation I made here --> -Love and Joy-

Note the cloth and hair simulations in the animation are solved in real-time. They use bone-based Bullet ragdoll physics instead of vertex collision physics. It's very efficient and produces realistic results.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
On a side note, Aiko 7 has been released, and I couldn't help noticing that she looks like a character out of a Disney movie than the Anime style she was supposed to represent.