• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Anime Dawn Begins!!

AetherDream

Breathing Life into Characters
Contributing Artist
Although, there will always be some limitations due to geometry, I think the Dawn mesh can be pushed pretty hard. If you look at Willow, for an example, she is not too far off in terms of big eyes and a very stylized head. Also how Chris deformed the mesh when doing the initial work up on Harry.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Although, there will always be some limitations due to geometry, I think the Dawn mesh can be pushed pretty hard. If you look at Willow, for an example, she is not too far off in terms of big eyes and a very stylized head. Also how Chris deformed the mesh when doing the initial work up on Harry.

Agreed - I have done a variety of almost-Anime style characters using Willow as a starting point. A major limitation has been the rather short range of the existing morphs, like eye size, iris size, mouth size and position.

BTW, Aiko actually had Anime style variations, like Anime (default), Stylized and Realistic. Anime Dawn already starts as Stylized, so maybe she could have some style variations as well. ^__^

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Since we were talking about spherical eyes, here is the kind of toon style we can accomplish with it. Probably something 3D Universe could do, like they did in the past for Genesis. It's the kind of 3D toon style popularized by Pixar\Disney characters, and they all use regular spherical eyes. I know this is not Anime style, but since we were talking about big eyes, and what can be done with it... :)

ToonFace.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
No, it's a portfolio render from a talented artist from CG Society. He is being featured this week. ^^

eclark1894

Visionary
Chris, I would love to see how you create something like a simple bathing suit for Dawn in a video. If you ever do one and post please let us know immediately. I would just love to watch your technique. I'm not keen on time lapse, but I'll take what I can get.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I'll post more in here once I finish the UVs on Kitty.

Beautiful stuff you're showing us there Ken.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks, the artist's name who created the character above is Jean Marcel. He did it as an modeling exercise on good topology based on concept art from Helen Chen. I think it demonstrates well the big eyes idea, and it doesn't even have to be Anime. ^^

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
You can see them bulging out of the sockets. Particularly at the inner corners. Rather disturbing, actually.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yes, that's what I was saying about Anime eyes being flat in 3D - that avoids the bulging and brings it closer to the style. I was just showing an example of what can be done with spherical eyes, since that's the starting point we have with Dawn. There are several toon morphs for Genesis that use that style from 3D Universe, but only one for Dawn (Willow). :)

3dOutlaw

Anime Dawn, cool...just popping by, looking good! I may need to get this! (when it's done, of course)

Last edited:

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hey, 3dOutlaw, welcome back (to the new forums)!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Welcome back 3Doutlaw...I was just wondering if you tutorial on clones has been put back up since we have the new forums? I must check...

3dOutlaw

Hey all, if there is an anime related topic, I will generally try and sniff it out ;) Thanks for the welcome back!

The tutorial is on my site still. Not sure about that thread.

Soooo...whats the latest ETA on this morph/character? :p