• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Anime Dawn Begins!!

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
try this, its fairly simple but you might wanna play around, it will get you started,
its got a proper reflection and gloss, two render in an env sphere and without, if you want a stronger reflection alter the 0.5 upwards , around 1.0

click on the renders as it will increase the image size and sharpen it, you can see the refs better

upload_2016-2-17_19-9-13.png

upload_2016-2-17_19-9-21.png

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I hope there will be an option to make really big roundish eyes like this for example.

I have actually tried making such eyes on figures with spherical eyes, but it wasn't possible because the eyes geometry would become so large, they wouldn't fit inside the head - especially when they are as close to the sides as in your image. The eyes would simply poke out of the head. There is one more factor that is difficult to replicate with spherical eyes - Anime eyes are almost a flat surface. This is why I had to model another head to achieve this kind of look, and in my model, the eyes are flat. Only then I could get big Anime eyes.

In my first Anime head, I actually used spherical eyes that were squashed with magnets to become flat, but could still be posed as normal eyes with the usual dials. More recently I have created a new Anime head that skips all that and uses actual flat eyes with a split pupil, and that has been my best solution so far. It can still be posed with the usual dials, so from the user's perspective, nothing changes. But one advantage is that the eyes can be posed with a wider range of movement than the first solution, not to mention it's simpler to rig. This new head is in chibi style, and this is what it looks like. It's on Nearme body, but it could be any other. It's how I've got big round Anime eyes that won't poke off the head.

ChibiTest_1024.jpg

Last edited:

frogimus

Adventurous
Nice Chiba. That head on a teen/adult body would be good too. Chiba is as much head/body proportion as it is head style IMHO.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@frogimus Indeed, chibi body proportions are different from regular Anime. The head is considerably larger, but not as much as in SD style (super deformed). The problem is that chibi is often confused with SD, but in the latter, the entire body is 1 head tall. The head is basically the same, but the proportions change. Here's an example of SD style proportions using the chibi head, where the character is only 2 heads tall.

But I think the point is that these big flat Anime eyes cannot be replicated with normal spherical eyes. In my attempts, this has required a different kind of eye geometry structure, so the eyes won't poke off the head.

SDProportions.jpg

frogimus

Adventurous
Heh, yeah. I got so overwhelmed by how good that chibi looked that I was distracted.

I agree with your take on the eyes. I never cared much for the spherical attempts for anime. Aiko was good, but only as long as she didn't have the eyes enlarged much past the A3 version.

Flat/slightly domed is definitely the way to go. You say you can do these posable?

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
WOW! Ken love your renders !! I also like your tiny hand/foot fairy style.

Yeah, @frogimus Aiko 3 was the best of the Anime I believe. You can sort of get the look you want with post work and Photoshop's liquify filter tools pucker and bloat. I think there is a tutorial on that over at Advanced Photoshop Magazine in the archives, but I still understand that it would totally be worth having the round eyes that would pose.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Flat/slightly domed is definitely the way to go. You say you can do these posable?

Yes, and I think I've got it right on my 2nd Anime head (simpler rigging). In both heads, the flat eyes are posed with the familiar "Up-Down" and "Side-Side" dials, just like any figure with spherical eyes. But with this new head, the iris is a separate geometry and only that part is posed, which has greatly simplified the whole thing. In first head, I was posing the entire eye.

WOW! Ken love your renders !! I also like your tiny hand/foot fairy style.

Yeah, frogimus Aiko 3 was the best of the Anime I believe. You can sort of get the look you want with post work and Photoshop's liquify filter tools pucker and bloat. I think there is a tutorial on that over at Advanced Photoshop Magazine in the archives, but I still understand that it would totally be worth having the round eyes that would pose.

Thank you, NA! Personally, I think AnimeDoll was the best Anime figure ever - but Aiko3 was free, and that has won the competition. LOL But what I mean was that Aiko was not traditional Anime style, but instead kind of stylized. First thing I've noticed was that her head was 98% identical in shape and proportion as the original MayaX's AnimeDoll. A main difference was that Aiko had spherical eyes, and that has limited how close to Anime style she could actually get. To make things worse, they gave her Vicky3 facial expressions, which in my personal opinion, clashed head-on with the head style.

Anime Dawn is only slightly Anime Stylized, and I wonder how well these realistic Dawn expressions would work with this head style? Would this require an additional set of expressions like Aiko4 got to avoid what happened with Aiko3?

AetherDream

Breathing Life into Characters
Contributing Artist
Well, I can certainly see how it might not be feasible to give her those kinds of eyes after hearing this discussion, but either way it will certainly be great to add to my collection of Dawn morphs. I hope that it will have a dial setting to it so that we might be able to mix and match some of the new morphs with her head and body morphs to create some new looks. I am basically a morph junkie, so any morphs we do get will be a welcome addition.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Even though traditional Anime eyes may not be feasible, I would also be happy to have the option to get Dawn's eyes as large as physically possible within the geometry limits, and also more range to move them up/down as well. it would also be good to be able to resize iris and pupil beyond the current limits.

In my recently catgirl in kitty top render, I have created a "pointy chin" morph for Dawn after realizing there wasn't one available, and noticed I there wasn't a morph to move the mouth up/down. We could take this opportunity to add such character customization morphs that are missing. :)

frogimus

Adventurous
It'll be nice to see the range of morphs available in the face on Anime Dawn. You know, I wouldn't mind a blank face so we can overlay some of the eye and mouth expressions that would be less effective with geometry.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
[QUOTE="Ken1171, post:
Anime Dawn is only slightly Anime Stylized, and I wonder how well these realistic Dawn expressions would work with this head style? Would this require an additional set of expressions like Aiko4 got to avoid what happened with Aiko3?[/QUOTE]

Shhh.....with the Vicky 3 facial expressions:oops: .......... they are a bit disappointing.

The only way we can really find out is to see what happens.

@AetherDream ,I like morphs too and you could get some very kewl mix and matches for different characters/situations.

I like the way this shaped up, but need to have larger irises which I (lol) can't fit in there to save my life (lol). Which is why Ken's looks so great!!

This is a mixie matchie with Kimberly/ fairy ears/head and Aiko 5 dialed in about 35% with some Tusukiko and Azumi.
Kimberly Witchtie2vamp2461348 copy2.jpg

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
It'll be nice to see the range of morphs available in the face on Anime Dawn. You know, I wouldn't mind a blank face so we can overlay some of the eye and mouth expressions that would be less effective with geometry.

I have thought about doing texturing in that way to get some desired looks.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Thanks Miss B!

She's my niece's favorite. We made stickers for her out of a few of my images she is such a Monster High fan.

Untitled-17 copy.jpg
Cute copy.jpg

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
We have to be creative when making Anime expressions for 3D figures. With the Chibi head, I have increased the range of possible expressions to include some a 3D model normally could not achieve. Examples are the "dead" face with "X"s on the eyes, the "in love" face with hearts instead of eyes, and the "blank" face @frogimus has mentioned, which would normally require extra props to be added to the scene. The chibi head can handle these and many other Anime expressions by automatically reshaping the lashes geometry into a variety of shapes when you spin the respective expression dials. You can see examples of that in the chart below. It includes blank, dead, dazzled, stressed, and some others. The mouth also undergoes a variety of shapes, from a tiny dot to a wide laugh. The lashes offer a variety of styles - you can see 4 of them in the 1st row.

But here's the thing - a good deal of these expressions relied on reshaping the eye lashes into a variety of shapes. One expression required red hearts, and since we cannot morph a color, I had to place a pair of red hearts inside the head and show them when needed. That was an exception to the rule, where just morphing wouldn't do the job. These expressions are not presets, but different combinations of head dials, where there are over 100 just for expressions.

Making effective and authentic Anime expressions is something I take seriously. I say this because I couldn't find any Poser figure that would offer this range of authentic Anime expressions. AnimeDoll could get some, but she only had a few, and that's how I ended up making my own heads.

That's why I was wondering what kind of expressions Anime Dawn would offer to go with her specific style.

ChibiExpressions.jpg

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
@Ken1171 Holy COW!! check out all of those!! Awesome!!

I would very much like to know how Anime Dawn will handle the expressions also and the mouth and eyes do morph along with a particular expression. I just looked back over my Aiko 5 expressions and ...... yeah they let you down a bit but the Aiko 3 let you down more. The facial expression in Anime is as much a part of the art form as the actual figure.

I hope you didn't get the wrong impression of what I was saying! I hope you didn't think I was being snarky!

In my recently catgirl in kitty top render, I have created a "pointy chin" morph for Dawn after realizing there wasn't one available, and noticed I there wasn't a morph to move the mouth up/down. We could take this opportunity to add such character customization morphs that are missing. :)

I second the need for a mouth up/down morph. I really missed it when I was trying to find the right facial shape for my last render. I just couldn't get what I wanted no matter how I tried.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
And with the mouth up/down, comes the need to expand the current range of gums up/down morphs. Some character morphs have moved the mouth up or down, but the teeth was left in the original place, and that's another situation where the current teeth up/down range doesn't reach the desired distances. Something similar will happen if eye size range is expanded, where iris/pupil size range will also need to be expanded. :)