• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A Place to lay my head...

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Did you figure out how to do the sliding doors? I actually just saw a tutorial on how to do that the other day on Renderosity. It's on rigging hard edged surfaces.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm going to do them the same way I did the other doors. Instead of swinging in and out, they'll just slide from side to side.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Those will be nice, as most houses have sliding doors leading to back yards/patios.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm thinking about doing an add-on for a raised deck, but that may actually mean I need to do a raised foundation for the house.

Miss B

CV-BEE
You're probably right about that, though I'm not sure as it's been a while since I've been at a house with a raised deck to be sure.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Well, it depends on if the house is on level ground or not. Living near the mountains, you often see places with 'raised' decks, where really the ground is sloping away under the deck.

eclark1894

Visionary
Reworking more of the mesh today. I have to re-do the kitchen cabinets and the island and I had to carve out a cavity in the island to fit the dishwasher. I still haven't decided what to do about the cabinet doors and drawers though. I really like and want ALL the doors and drawers to work but to be honest that's a LOT of work. What I DON'T want to do is push this house up past the price of $30 dollars, but whatever I rig in Poser I have to go back and re-do that in DS.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Okay, so I used Seliah's info and textured the teaset. It definitely looks better in Iray. I do have one problem with the Iray though. Can't figure out why the lids on the sugarbowl and teapot are so much whiter than the rest of the set.

View attachment 8217

View attachment 8218
Sorry, my email notifications got turned off for this thread (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:) Earl, did you double check to see if the Diffuse for the lids and main pots are the same. Seems simple. If not then check to see if the glossy is the same for both lids and pots.

eclark1894

Visionary
Got a question for you guys. Sort of a survey... as I said, i'm reworking the mesh and the matzones, BUT... which is more preferable, to have the house split up into several separate walls that all load as one house... OR load as one house but have many matzones that can turn portions of the house invisible? I'm not really sure if there's any advantage of one over the other, but I'd like to hear what you say.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Personally... I don't care either way, Earl. As long as I'm able to set whatever wall I want to turn "off" for camera angles, it doesn't matter to me how the vendor achieves that functionality - only that they have it built in.

I think on the modeling side, it's probably easier for you to just set the walls up as material zones, rather than rigging the whole building, isn't it?

eclark1894

Visionary
Hmmm, on the other hand, if I break the house up, I can also create just portions or sections of the house that you can load instead of the whole thing.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm not sure which I'd prefer. I know that doesn't help you decide, but both options sound fine to me.

That said, however, only having to load the section(s) needed, won't be as weighty as the whole house, especially if you're not doing an outdoor scene, and don't need the whole house in view. That would probably save on resources for some who are working on older computers.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I think being able to load only parts of the house would be best. Not only because of what Miss B said about older computers, but also the PBRs (as i understand it) take into account everything even if it isn't anywhere near the camera so it could make both iRay and SF renders take a really long time.

eclark1894

Visionary
Actually it was easier than I thought to break the house up by rooms. I remember that DAZ had a Dream House that loaded like that. My house isn't quite THAT big, but it will load just fine that way. So I'll have so that you can load the house as a whole scene, you can load each room separately and in place, or and this was the thing with the Dream Home that drove me up the wall, you can load it centered in the scene. That house was so big that sometimes, depending on which room you loaded, you couldn't see where it was in the scene.:)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh, yes, I remember that loading it centered in the scene issue. I only have one of the products from that line, and it drove me up the wall trying to get my camera set up so I could see the whole thing. ~sheesh~

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The Dream Home series, yeah.... I have some of it, not all of it, bought the pieces mostly back when my 3D budget was like $10 a month, because it was cheap and gave me an indoor setting to use. Hated, hated the way it loaded. And the origins being way off center made rotating it nigh impossible to do, too. But mostly for me, it was just too dang big for my liking; it was made as a mansion, not a livable, everyday sized home. LOL

Miss B

CV-BEE
I have always wondered why a lot of creators don't set the origin in the geometry center. That's so easy to do in Blender, that I wonder if other modeling apps have that option. I don't recall seeing it in Silo, but it may be there, and I never had a reason to look for it.