• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A Place to lay my head...

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, I got the door into Studio, textured and everything, and even fixed the axis rotation. Problem is, When I saved it I lost the door frame.o_O

Door.jpg

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, in this case, I think it's probably my fault. I Had the door selected, and saved the door. Problem is the door is parented to the frame, not the other way around. I'm gonna try again and this time save the door frame. Problem is, I have to re-rig it again because I deleted the frame AND the door went with it.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
AHA, yes, the frame is the "parent" and the door is the "child". Too bad you have to re-rig it. :(

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, it was fairly easy to do. Maybe easier than Poser. Well, maybe not. Most of the making it work properly had stayed intact, so it was just the moving the origin over.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, I'm going back in, to do some reconfiguring on the house. Here's the deal, right now there is a lot of wasted space in some places and not enough in others. Plus, I didn't have the doors done, or appliances and some of my furniture sets are even started yet, such as the living room set. So my guess is that the house actually won't be ready until the last appliance or stick of furniture is in place. I'm already thinking about losing a couple of the walk-in closets, or at least scaling them back a bit. And maybe lose the linen room. That will allow me to widen a couple of the main hallways and maybe enlarge a bedroom or two.

Whew, everything seemed so simple at first when i was just making a bedroom set.;)

Miss B

CV-BEE
. . . and look what it grew into. :D Take your time with it Earl, it's coming along nicely.

eclark1894

Visionary
So I'm going over the house, making a few tweaks here and there changing a couple of things around, and all of a sudden soething catches my eye that i hadn't noticed before. There's a window in the garage. Rather large window, too and right on the front of the house. Generally speaking that's not really where you want a window since you don't want to advertise what you have in the house that someone might want to steal. Thing is, it's there in the plans too, which is why I didn't really question or notice it before. Anyway, I'm taking it out.

House22.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hmmmm, that is odd. Not sure I've ever seen any kind of window in a garage other than a tiny one facing off the street, and usually in a side door that a person would walk through, not the main garage door you drive through.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have a 4-car garage and have 3 large winders (2 at back and one at side) it would be VERY dark in there without them :) But I would say that you wouldn't have one at the front? (couldn't on ours as it has roller doors)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
To be fair - I think it probably has something to do with locality and where you live, too. My grandparents had a two-car garage. In both garage doors, they had three windows, and yes, the doors were roll-up types.

They also had a small door entry on the side of the garage, and that had a window in it.

And the south wall of the garage had two small windows in it as well. My grandparents ended up removing those extra two windows eventually, after some kids broke the glass playing baseball in the street. So they just got rid of the windows altogether and boarded them up/built over them somehow. I was little when that happened, so I don't recall exactly what they did to get rid of the window frames.

The windows on the roll-up garage doors, my grandmother did make like a small curtain for. They mounted rods and had the curtain basically attached to both the upper and lower rods so it didn't move, and stayed in place when the doors rolled up. But she put those onto the garage windows when I was about ten or twelve because at that point, they had begun storing other things in the garage and she didn't want the whole area to be able to see what was in there. Out of sight out of mind of thieves was her opinion.

But yes; I have seen windows on garage walls, and roll-up garage doors before as well. The apartment complex that my mother lived in when we were kids also had windows on the roll-up doors, though we did not have windows anywhere else in the garage. So yeah, it does happen sometimes.

I'd say window or no window - entirely up to you, Earl. It's your product, it's your model. Do what you like. :)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes definitely want some sort of window treatment on a garage but its handy to have a window if its your work room as well as just car storage.
And yes Earl, its your model so you can do what you like :D

eclark1894

Visionary
It's my model, but other people have to use it, sooo... input helps.;)

Truth is, I have seen windows on garages before, and I'm not talking about doors. But this is on the front of the house, not the back or side windows.

eclark1894

Visionary
Renovations are going marvelously. I expanded the Master bathroom. and moved a few things around and took down a couple of walls. The toilet is no longer in a small closet inside the bathroom and there's no separate door. I also got rid of one of the windows in there. I've always wanted a large bathroom.

Changed the front door again. It's simpler, but still nice.

front door.png

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So this reminded me of something I noticed when I lived in LA for a while. The houses there didn't have sidewalks that went to the front doors. They would have lawns, but clearly you got into the house from the garage. Not for every house, of course, but for a lot of them. But them I from a strange state like Colorado were people often do crazy things like walk, and bicycle places.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, been putting this off for the longest time and honestly I don't know why. Back doors are in now. Sliding glass doors that lead out to the backyard/patio.

back door.png