• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A Place to lay my head...

eclark1894

Visionary
Whew... three hours to render! That's a lot of shiny stuff in this render. Probably have to dial it back a bit. Anyway, redid the refrigerator today. Had some major problems with the mesh and it didn't seem to help matters any that for some reason Blender keeps putting extra mat zones in the mtl. and obj. files and i have to go in and delete them.
On the plus side, I've got most of the appliances done. I still need to port them over to DS and figure out how to texture them in Iray and 3 Delight, but I'm pretty much through with the appliances for this week. I'm up all night tonight for work so think I'll take a stab and making those doors work for the house.

Shopping.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Got a weird question... How do you label a door? From what I've seen, a door always opens into a room and a house. Unless it's a screen door (for those of us who live in the south), which always opens out. The other exception seems to be closets, which seem to open out. The other thing seems to be when it opens , it should open towards the closest wall. which could be on the left or right side depending on the layout of the house. Which means the door could swing either way. My problem is how to label which way the door hangs... to the left or to the right.

door.png

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Normally they just say door open...wouldn't setting the limits stop it from going in the wrong direction?

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, had to go to Home Depot for an answer. But according to them there is an answer. I need to hang the door so that it will open from the left or the right. The door can always be reversed if you want it to open into the room or outside.

eclark1894

Visionary
I've made two other small mistakes on this door so far as well. I don't HAVE to correct the problem. It's so minor that no one would probably even notice it if I didn't point it out. Of course, I'll know, so it's back into Blender I go.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Are you going to leave us guessing, or are you going to tell us what the mistakes were?

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, I've been up all night working on the doors in the house. made some pretty good progress. So let me first explain what mistakes I made on the door since I did promise. Primarily I made two mistakes that probably wouldn't even be noticed, but I would know. The door frame itself was wrongly modeled. I had it flat on all sides but there's a stop in the middle of the frame against which the door hits when it shuts to stop the door. The other problem was how I hung the door. The hinges weren't in the right place on the frame, so when the door opened, that side of the door was disappearing into the frame. It worked fine, but visually it didn't look right. So I put the door stop in the frame and made some adjustments to the hinges. I did make another slight mistake with the height of the door, but they scaled down nicely enough to fit, so no big deal there.

I'm loading up those doors now, then I've got some sliding doors on some of the closets and pantry to work on. That too shouldn't be a big deal. I'm trying to decide whether the doors should come loaded with the house or let the users decide. I can tell you from experience that loading all thouse doors and placing them by hand is a PAIN. So I'm leaning towards just have the whole house load pre-loaded.

Okay, I can barely keep my eyes open, so I'm off to bed. Goodnight everyone.:):sleep:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thanks for the explanation, and yeah, I would think pre-loading the whole house, doors and all, would be the best idea.

Have a good sleep, and see you later.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm loading up those doors now, then I've got some sliding doors on some of the closets and pantry to work on. That too shouldn't be a big deal. I'm trying to decide whether the doors should come loaded with the house or let the users decide. I can tell you from experience that loading all thouse doors and placing them by hand is a PAIN. So I'm leaning towards just have the whole house load pre-loaded.

I think the easiest route would be to have them pre-loaded. Users can always just remove the one or two they need to remove, if they don't want them there, IMO. Just my thoughts, anyhow.

Just a quick overhead shot. Positioning the washer and dryer now, then off to bed.

Oh, this is looking just lovely! :)