• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A Place to lay my head...

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm glad everyone's liking what I've done so far. I found out the reason doors open into the house, btw, which also has to do with why they have those door stops. Doors open in towards the side where the hinge is. The stop keeps the door from swinging too far and tearing the hinge out over time, and the hinge is hung on the INSIDE of the house because you don't want crooks and burglars pulling out the hinge pins and taking the doors off. Simple stuff you never really think about.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Another thing we experienced here in our building is, the doors leading out of the building need to open in, because opening out is a fire hazard. If you open a door out when escaping from a fire, opening the door outwards sends the flames out to the air outside, which in turn feeds the flames. Opening the door into the building doesn't do that. Don't ask me for the details, but that's what we were told 2 years ago when the building was last inspected.

eclark1894

Visionary
Another thing we experienced here in our building is, the doors leading out of the building need to open in, because opening out is a fire hazard. If you open a door out when escaping from a fire, opening the door outwards sends the flames out to the air outside, which in turn feeds the flames. Opening the door into the building doesn't do that. Don't ask me for the details, but that's what we were told 2 years ago when the building was last inspected.
From what little I know of backdrafts, which is the phenomenon you're mentioning here, I don't really think it matters which way the door opens, just as long as it opens. Also, if the door is extremely hard to open, it's best to let it stay shut. It's the difference in inside and outside air pressure that's keeping the door closed.

eclark1894

Visionary
One problem after another. One of the things I want to do is to put cameras in certain areas of the house so we can see Dawn doing her daily chores. in some cases, that may not be possible such as this narrow hallway which leads to the garage. I can make the hallway a little wider, but it won't really matter that much when it comes down to the camera placement. it will just have to be on one end of the hallway or the other. Here's the other thing. I don't know if you can see the washer and dryer in the laundry room as she's walking by, the the dryer and washer barely fit. Again, I can widen things a bit or shrink the washer and dryer a tad, but there's not gonna be enough room to swing the Hivewire housecat in that hallway.:giggle:

Hallway.png

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
One problem after another. One of the things I want to do is to put cameras in certain areas of the house so we can see Dawn doing her daily chores. in some cases, that may not be possible such as this narrow hallway which leads to the garage.

In my experience, many homes have an area or two that is narrow like this. I think it's fine. It works. There's room enough for her to go from the garage to the door and vice versa, and it's basically a utility access.

Nothing wrong with it being narrow in my opinion.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I think the narrow hallway is fine. Houses are like that. I can see the dryer, but not the washer. I wonder if there's a way you could make some sort of preset that hides the wall opposite the washer and dryer so that you could then see them better?

eclark1894

Visionary
I think the narrow hallway is fine. Houses are like that. I can see the dryer, but not the washer. I wonder if there's a way you could make some sort of preset that hides the wall opposite the washer and dryer so that you could then see them better?
Hmm, that's an idea. I can hide the room across from the laundry room in Poser with the material room. Of course that means going back into Blender to redo the mat zones. I haven't done anything with DS yet, so I don't know if the same thing can be done with the Surfaces tab, but it should work if it does.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm working on a shower stall for Dawn, but haven't actually decided what to do with it yet. By that I mean, I haven't decided:
1. whether to use it
2. which bathroom to put it in.

Here's the problem: the rooms in this house are spacious enough for Dawn, BUT looking back on it now, I realize I should have made the rooms in this house larger because I wanted to put cameras in these rooms and they're too small to do that without adjusting the focal perspective and THAT will clearly distort the camera view. Gadget girl has suggested texturing the house in such a way that I can simply make any walls invisible Right now that may be the way to go, but just to be on the safe side, I'm also widening and lengthening the house a bit.

The other part is that in reality these bathrooms, while large enough to accomodate Dawn, may actually be too small to accomodate anything larger than a tub. I have thought and may still go with simply adding shower fixtures to the tubs OR I may just remove the tub and replace it with the shower.
My head hurts now. I also wanted to include this quick screenshot, but I don't want to run afoul of the TOS rules, so if it does, would someone please delete the pic for me?

Shower-Stall.jpg

SSGBryan

Inspired
Have you thought about looking at actual house plans and working off them? Bathrooms in the real world do tend to be quite small. As a reminder, you can always resize the camera.

This is one of the biggest frustrations in Poser, IMO. Just as we can't seem to get real-life sized figures, we can't seem to get real life sized houses.

eclark1894

Visionary
Have you thought about looking at actual house plans and working off them? Bathrooms in the real world do tend to be quite small. As a reminder, you can always resize the camera.

This is one of the biggest frustrations in Poser, IMO. Just as we can't seem to get real-life sized figures, we can't seem to get real life sized houses.
Second page, 28th post.

SSGBryan

Inspired
I wasn't thinking McMansions - we have those, I was talking about mid-century houses.

2-3 bedroom, 1 bath, 1 garage/carport, 800-1100 square foot homes. Something like this.

barry.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I like that house, especially the brick on the right front side is a nice contrast with the white shingles on the rest of the house (or possibly some brick on the back too).

I like the floor plan as well, though I'm not into basements at all.

SSGBryan

Inspired
I like this house too. It was one of the several hundred "kit" houses one could order and have delivered to your lot. This one is one of the larger ones (1100 sq ft) - most were between 700 - 800 (2 bedroom). Basements became popular in the Eastern US after WWII. Most of the kit homes had versions with and without basements.

Mid Century Home Style - Design Inspiration of the 1940s, 1950s, and the 1960s

has hundreds of them - they also have a sister site that covers home plans from the 1st half of the 20th century (That feels weird to type).