• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A Place to lay my head...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
You don't need to include the object file when you pack it up. The duf plus the data files provides all the info...

When you save if you include a product name it will save the data files to that folder making it easier to find.

eclark1894

Visionary
Thought you guys might like to see this.
Working on texturing the house. This might take a while, but starting with the roof.

roofing.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I didn't notice any earlier, but when I clicked to enlarge the screenshot now, I could see one slight misalignment on the right end of the roof. It looks like one corner is popped up slightly.

eclark1894

Visionary
Pretty much finished messing with the roof now. Have to install all the doors and windows and texture everything in sight. That should pretty much do it for the house.

Meanwhile, I suscessfully ported everything in the tea set over to DS. Now begins my learning to texture in DS. BTW, is photoreal the default renderer for DS? I assuming that's Iray. How do I select 3Delight? Also, the lemon slice imported already textured. Don't know how or why, and the tea set didn't.

teaset.jpg

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Were your mats procedural, Earl? If not the teaset should have loaded into DS the same as in Poser.

You choose the 3DL renderer in the advanced tab of the Render pane. There's a drop down menu at the top.

eclark1894

Visionary
Were your mats procedural, Earl? If not the teaset should have loaded into DS the same as in Poser.

You choose the 3DL renderer in the advanced tab of the Render pane. There's a drop down menu at the top.
No, for the time being, I'm trying to keep everything with an image map. Although, I'm pretty much going to have to go procedural with the house.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Hmmm, not sure then. I thought it was only Poser proceduals that didn't load in DS. I'm afraid that's the limit of my knowledge, Earl.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Also, the lemon slice imported already textured. Don't know how or why, and the tea set didn't.

This can sometimes happen, if DS can't find the Poser Runtime folder that the texture is in. And sometimes it just flakes out for the heck of it, and doesn't find the map even though it's right there where the file says it is.

You'll want to end up making sure you have Textures under My Library/Runtime/Textures anyway. What I would suggest for the DS version, is copy your textures folder over to that location, and then manually reload each image map onto the objects from the STUDIO textures folder instead of the Poser textures folder.

To manually load texture maps into Studio, first select the object that you want to work with.
Then go to the Surfaces tab.
Select the material zones you want to work with. (In Studio, you can select multiple material zones at one time if you want the same textures and material settings on them.)
Now, look for where it says Diffuse Color.
There's a little square with a downward facing white triangle next to the color swatch. Click that.
This will open up a little fly-up menu. Click on "Browse."
From here, you navigate to the folder where your texture maps are stored, and select the texture map you want to apply.
When applied, that little square box on Diffuse Color will show a tiny, tiny little thumbnail of your texture map.

upload_2016-4-17_14-36-51.png

The process is the same for loading specular maps, bump maps, normal maps, displacement maps, reflection/refraction maps, and opacity maps. Each one has a little box with a downward facing triangle in it, and you click that to load your maps.

Hope this helps.

eclark1894

Visionary
This can sometimes happen, if DS can't find the Poser Runtime folder that the texture is in. And sometimes it just flakes out for the heck of it, and doesn't find the map even though it's right there where the file says it is.

You'll want to end up making sure you have Textures under My Library/Runtime/Textures anyway. What I would suggest for the DS version, is copy your textures folder over to that location, and then manually reload each image map onto the objects from the STUDIO textures folder instead of the Poser textures folder.

To manually load texture maps into Studio, first select the object that you want to work with.
Then go to the Surfaces tab.
Select the material zones you want to work with. (In Studio, you can select multiple material zones at one time if you want the same textures and material settings on them.)
Now, look for where it says Diffuse Color.
There's a little square with a downward facing white triangle next to the color swatch. Click that.
This will open up a little fly-up menu. Click on "Browse."
From here, you navigate to the folder where your texture maps are stored, and select the texture map you want to apply.
When applied, that little square box on Diffuse Color will show a tiny, tiny little thumbnail of your texture map.

View attachment 8192

The process is the same for loading specular maps, bump maps, normal maps, displacement maps, reflection/refraction maps, and opacity maps. Each one has a little box with a downward facing triangle in it, and you click that to load your maps.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, Seliah. Guess I'm learning DS bit by bit.;)

eclark1894

Visionary
Like I am with Poser. I feel for you, I really do. LOL But you're doing great so far, Earl. :)
Thanks again. Trust me, it's a chore, but I do want to make the house and everything compatible in Poser and DS. I'm using image maps as much as possible, which should be okay for some things, but I may have to lean on you and Pen a lot more when it comes to procedurals.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, so I used Seliah's info and textured the teaset. It definitely looks better in Iray. I do have one problem with the Iray though. Can't figure out why the lids on the sugarbowl and teapot are so much whiter than the rest of the set.

3delight.jpg

Iray.jpg

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Eeek. I can't help at all with Iray problems, I'm sorry! I'm a 3Delight-only artist. >.<

Maybe Pen will have a better idea on what could be causing that...

For 3DL, the one thing I will say is that for objects like this that need to be high-shine; try messing about with Specular color, Specular strength, and Glossiness... specular color is the color; strength is how intense the specular highlights will be, and glossiness is basically another way to control the intensity of the specular highlights, but more importantly, glossiness also controls the SIZE of the specular highlights. Low glossy values, and the highlights will spread over more of the surface; high glossy values and the highlights spread over less of the surface.

Aside from materials - lighting is absolutely KEY with at least a 3Delight render. I know you're just starting to learn the software... but lights mean all the difference in the world.

Check This Page - Adam R's got a light set that is very good for materials work linked on that page. Second page is what should load, and the light set should be linked right in the first post on that page.

I have my own light rigs that I use for mat work, but this is a good one that's already easily accessible for download. It renders fairly quickly as well, even with some of the higher quality render settings in place.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
At first I thought it was a lighting issue, but I don't have the latest version of DS, so don't know Iray at all.

What it looks like to me is, the two covers don't have any specular/shine set. They look like a solid white diffuse color and that's all. The rest of the pieces have shine and a specular color other than white.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm still learning Iray we need Szark or phdubrov. I would suggest if you haven't already holding ctrl and double clicking the uber shader for Iray as it will convert your settings to Iray ones. If you hold ctrl a dialogue will pop up and you need to ask it to ignore the textures and it will leave your textures in place.

If you've already done this have a look at your emission colour and also the lumens and see if that is the same on the lids as the base.