• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A Place to lay my head...

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Back to the actual subject of this thread for a moment... can anyone tell me how to match or at least approximate this look of the floor in DS?

In DS, select the floor prop, then go to Surfaces tab.

In Surfaces, expand the list of mat zones (to the left side of all the sliders), and select the floor material zone. Selected mat zones will highlight in yellow.

Set Reflection Strength somewhere between 75-85%.

Set Reflection Color to white.

(In order for reflections to show up when rendered in 3Delight, you must have lights loaded in the scene, and something for the floor to reflect. Dawn or Dusk, for instance.)

Edit: You can also set specular colors to varying shades of white/greys and adjust specular strength as well, to help with the glossy appearance. Note that these steps are for using the default (dzDefault) shader on the floor surface.

Sorry, I can't grab you any screenshots. I still haven't had a chance to reinstall my 3D programs on the new HD yet.

eclark1894

Visionary
In DS, select the floor prop, then go to Surfaces tab.

In Surfaces, expand the list of mat zones (to the left side of all the sliders), and select the floor material zone. Selected mat zones will highlight in yellow.

Set Reflection Strength somewhere between 75-85%.

Set Reflection Color to white.

(In order for reflections to show up when rendered in 3Delight, you must have lights loaded in the scene, and something for the floor to reflect. Dawn or Dusk, for instance.)

Sorry, I can't grab you any screenshots. I still haven't had a chance to reinstall my 3D programs on the new HD yet.
This is in addition to adding the texture and bump map?

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
This is in addition to adding the texture and bump map?

Yes. Apply all your image maps (texture, bump, spec, normals, etc, and their strength values) and then set reflection and specular strength/colors. Have a light or two loaded into the scene as well.

This is how I achieved the glossy appearance to the floor in this render : https://community.hivewire3d.com/media/hannah-moonriver-family-photo.820/

I only had my reflection strength set to about 35% for that render, as I didn't want the viewer's eye to get too distracted with the reflections. You will most likely need to do a few test renders until you have a reflection strength that you're happy with.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Having issues with the teacup and sugar bowl. Otherwise, what do you think of this willow pattern for a tea set?

These look great. I like this sort of china set, not too busy but still decorative. The tray also looks great, and I like the slice of lemon.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, Imported the floor prop into DS and will start trying to get everything sorted out there. In the meantime, I finished the tea set last night except for applying texture sets. I'm having an issue with the teacup which I can't quite figure out. As you can see, the texture on the teacup seems to be bleeding through to the inside. I'm thinking I need to redo the texture map on that. I also need to redo the texture map on the wood tray. Funny thing is I actually LIKE the way it's textured right now, but that was a total accident with the grain running two ways. Gotta fix that because even though I do like it, someone's going to complain about it. Also had to slice a thicker lemon slice.;)

issue.png

Last edited:

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
It's nice, Earl, and you can buy teacups with a pattern inside them. It's always only the teacup, I guess because you see inside it as you drink your tea.

English Bob

Adventurous
... the texture on the teacup seems to be bleeding through to the inside.

I suspect you probably UV mapped the cup after the inside was modelled. If you use a projection method (UVMapper's cylindrical map for example) the inside will occupy the same area of the map as the outside, so the same texture will show on both.

You can either assign a different material to the inside, or you can re-map so that the inside and outside occupy separate areas on the map. There would be more than one way to do this depending on what tools you have available.

eclark1894

Visionary
I suspect you probably UV mapped the cup after the inside was modelled. If you use a projection method (UVMapper's cylindrical map for example) the inside will occupy the same area of the map as the outside, so the same texture will show on both.

You can either assign a different material to the inside, or you can re-map so that the inside and outside occupy separate areas on the map. There would be more than one way to do this depending on what tools you have available.
Not what happened. But I did have to re-map.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I'm having an issue with the teacup which I can't quite figure out. As you can see, the texture on the teacup seems to be bleeding through to the inside.

I like the tea cup having the texture on the inside, although I understand if you want to figure out why it happened that way. As Lorraine said lots of teacups have the patterns on the inside also.

eclark1894

Visionary
W
I like the tea cup having the texture on the inside, although I understand if you want to figure out why it happened that way. As Lorraine said lots of teacups have the patterns on the inside also.
Umm, too late. I fixed the problem this morning before scurrying out the door for work. Sorry.:oops:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I like that Earl. Nice delicate flowers always look good on a delicate style teacup. :)