• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A Place to lay my head...

eclark1894

Visionary
Pretty much. All the rooms are done and I'm still fitting doors on rooms and closets, and there may be a few last minute details i might add like light switches and wall sockets. Otherwise, I'm through with the modeling. Now, for me at least, comes the hard part of texturing.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm hesitant to ask, but are all the parts UV mapped?
The outside of the house is, as are the floor and the roof. Honestly, it never even occured to me to UV map the inner walls, as I was thinking people would just have them one diffuse color anyway. You think I should?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, I'm thinking folks could use wallpaper, in which case having them mapped would be useful.

Not necessarily the kitchen and/or bathroom, but certainly living room, bedroom and dining room (can't recall if you have that as a separate room).

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, I'm thinking folks could use wallpaper, in which case having them mapped would be useful.

Not necessarily the kitchen and/or bathroom, but certainly living room, bedroom and dining room (can't recall if you have that as a separate room).
Every room has been broken up and separated. Like I said, it didn't even occur to me to UV map the interior walls, but It might actually be easier to do now that they are separated.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Also if the interior walls are UV mapped, people could easily add photographs and paintings without loading in actual models for those.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh, now I didn't even think of that, but yes it could be worked out, especially on a wall that's not too up close for anyone to notice it's not an actual prop.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've noticed vendors who include maps/templates with their products vary the size of their maps. I've gotten into the habit of creating mine 2048x2048, BUT, usually for clothing or small items. I'm not sure what size you'd want for maps for house parts. I've seen maps up to twice that size.

Then again, I suppose taking into account the amount of details in a mesh would determine how large you want to make it. The more details, the more room you need for texturing. A plain wall, not so much.

eclark1894

Visionary
As predicted, having issues with the UV mapping. Here's my problem; I can create a fairly uniform map if i Smart UV map in Blender or a jumbled mess if I try to map by seams. Plus, in this particular instance, there's an interior of the house and an exterior of the house. Actually a lot of the rooms are like that. What I'm thinking is that I can map everything and just create separate maps. Frankly at this point I'm just lost.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist

Wouldn't you need the Kitchen and Bathroom mapped so you could add Tiles?

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hmmm, is there an auto loop to select areas you want to UV? I know in 3DCoat there is. It's one of the tools I think is pretty brilliant rather than selecting a poly edge at a time.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Blender has a way to select Edge Loops or Edge Rings, but not for Verts or Polys.

That said, if I want to select a few rows of adjacent polys, I select an edge in each row that would be affected, go to Select > Edge Rings, switch from Edge selection to Vert selection (a click of the appropriate button) so that all the Verts attached to the Edges selected are also selected, and lastly I switch to Poly selection, and all the polys in the affected rows are selected. I've tried going from selecting the edges straight to Poly selection mode, but that doesn't work. In Blender the Edges and Verts interact together, so if I go from Edge to Vert, and THEN to Poly, I'm successful.

THAT all said, I would only do that for small areas, especially where another part of the mesh is blocking an easy selection of the Polys I want. Otherwise I just select the whole area I want to UV, for instance a whole wall, and go into the UV Editor and set it up and export the layout.

Needless to say, I've not undertaken modeling a whole house, so haven't got any advice as to how to do it, though separate layouts may be the best way to go, say one for each room for the interior.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Sounds about how it's done in 3DCoat actually. With 3DCoat when your in the UV mode and have that button active the rings display very quickly. You see a ring you like, you just click it and it's selected. Very fast!

Miss B

CV-BEE
IIRC, in Silo I can select and edge, and then holding the Shift key, I can double click the next edge in the row, and they'll get selected. Pretty much the same thing, except done with the mouse (or in my case Wacom pen) instead of menu selection(s).

eclark1894

Visionary
So what I'm doing then is to to prepare two separate UV maps for each room with an interior and exterior, so that's all but two rooms, a hallway, and a linen closet.

eclark1894

Visionary
Just took a quick count and not counting the hallway and linen closet, there are ten rooms in this house. Three bedrooms, 2 baths, garage, dining room, kitchen, family room, and living room.