• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

LAMH Fuzzy Kitty

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Rather than clog up the "official" HiveWire Big Cat render thread, I thought I'd start a new one to document my "progress" on an un-official LAMH fur for Kitty. I'm hoping for lots of picky people to come and post what looks wrong with the fur, and other suggestions for improvement.

I'll start out with two renders of it as it is now; a headshot of the black leopard version, and a full body shot of the regular leopard version...
black panther 001.jpg

lamh kitty 001.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the head, ears, tail, and feet, but I don't really like the body yet. It is still too obvious where I took out the scissors. :(

Looking good though VB. Wish I had the concentration to make a Poser hair room version. I also really want to investigate how Blender does hair and wonder how that would import into poser and daz. I just don't understand all this stuff enough although I am doing a lot of blender tutorials. My issue with the poser hair room is you can't add hair to an entire obj, or at least I don't know how to . If I try to play with it I just have to do it one body part at a time which ends up being too hard to handle just for a render or two in my opinion. Making it for a commercial product or freebie would be worth the work I guess though

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't think those strands of hair look like they're coming out of the eyeball. I think it's from the top of the cheek and just curved up. Since that's a profile render, I wonder how those strands look in a full-on render, as they may actually be to the side of the eye. It's hard to tell in that render.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Definitely a good start!!! I've not messed with LAMH as DS is just waaaay too slow on my Macs. I have messed around in the Poser Hair Room some and did find I got much better results working with a hair length of about .2 instead of the .5 I started with. (Ditto Harry FWIW...) Frankly the presets for the DBC2 body hair in general seem too long to me anyway. Yes many leopards can have pretty long dense hair -especially the Amur (and other Asian) leopards as opposed to African subspecies) but to me I think he looks best with dense but shorter fur in general. ( I used an average of 6000 hairs on him and liked that density for the PHR). Def the black panther I did find easier too for whatever reason- could be the way I was applying the Hair material in Poser though. Haven't had much spare time to mess much with that either:)

The body and legs I found pretty easy with the Poser Hair Room using the .2 hair length with a variation of .01- it was the head and ears I had most issues with even though I went in and hand painted the polygons I wanted, as they really need to be "brushed" the right directions, which is something I am very inexperienced at. ( I DID save that file for further work;) I do know Tiny will do a much job than I with the PHR. I have messed some with the "brushing" of the hair on the head- def hard work:) Kudos to you, VB! Keep on truckin'!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm with Laurie on this, I think he looks better with a shorter coat (I think that's why the head/tail looks better than the body). I do like the ruff around the face/jawline.

Do you have a short haired cat? (or even a dog would work) look at the way the hair lays against the body (it doesn't stick straight out), it runs in different directions on different parts of the body. That will help with the realism especial when the light hits its a certain way.

I have the full version of LAMH but it ALWAYS crashes my computer when I try to make hair (it can render presets ok most of the time, just really slow) so I'm really hopeful that someone can come up with a preset. :D

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
So FWIW here are my lame attempts at using the Poser Hair Room on the Black Panther. First is Firefly done in P11. Second is Superfly P11 (same materials which obviously don't work right- again like I said previously, I haven't had any time to try to mess with SF settings for the hair) BUT I do like the overall length/density of the hair on the body. The head sucks pretty bad:) Totally default/no manipulation or brushing etc at all.

PoserHairRoomSuperfly.jpg

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
LOL VB! That IS one thing I did find easy to do in the PHR is change the length. And it DOES render wicked fast at a decent enough res in P11 at least for me so that is def part of why I even messed with it. Out of curiosity are you using Iray or 3Delight with the LAMH? Does it seem to make any real difference in the look? ) I just ask as I am really not very DS savvy!

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
I'm using Iray. I haven't really used 3Delight since Iray came out; I thought it always looked too much like plastic. I used to always use Firefly, and since I haven't upgraded to Poser 11 yet, Superfly isn't an option. The last one I posted baked about 45 minutes, but the geometry LAMH creates is pretty hard on the system.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thx VB for the info! 45 mins isn't bad. Took me much longer than that to render my Lil' Kitty with no hair in Iray:) Yeah so far I find Firefly does much better rendering Poser Hair than SF, but that could very well be because I really am still such a neophyte with Superfly materials and lighting too for that matter. Learning more everyday though! Looking forward to that Poser 11/SF webinar on Tues.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm also looking forward to the webinar on Tuesday. Should be interesting for sure. ;)

Banditcameraman

Enthusiast

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Some observations: a Jaguar's fur seems to be short all over, except for the belly, underside and top of the inner legs where it is slightly longer
the same as my girl :p hehehe
Chloe.jpg

look at that fluffy belly (its soft like rabbit fur), too bad if you tried to stroke it as she'd try and take your hand off :p (its just turned spring so she's about to loose some of the fluffies when she gets her summer coat)