• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How The Hivewire Horse (harry) Came To Be.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Way to go with the help folks.

I've been wanting to create displacement veins and fine detail as well for Harry, Dawn and Dusk and so on. Been practicing in Modo lately, looks great on a sphere, but my machine doesn't like it when I actually try it out on Dawn or heavier meshes. More work to do.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
If you are working in Poser, working with individual segments of the mane for fine-detailing the posing (after using the BODY dials for general posing) is much easier if you uncheck 'Remove backfacing polys' in the preview render settings. It also really helps to set the Transparancy value for the Mane material to 0.0 while posing (set back to 1.0 before rendering), and use the Heirarchy Editor to select the mane segments rather than trying to click on them in the main window. I tend to hide the whole mane in Heirarchy Editor then make each section visible one at a time so I can see what it's doing without it being hidden by the other segments.
Great tips! Thank you.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Yeah would LOVE those vascular maps for my horses and dogs and humans. Some m4 textures I got ad DAZ have them built in but don't have them for other textures. I did get a set of them as bump maps for different body parts so I could just use them with any texture i choose, but they put them in a PSD file with layers and was not feeling too ambitious separating them into the necessary individual bumps to apply to their respective body parts.
not sure how you would do these Chris....as mesh adjusts somehow or as textured body bump maps?
I would think the latter would be the easiest and least power intensive for our machines but would require a real good hand at painting as a texture/bump map. But what the frell do i know?! :(

xyer0

Brilliant
Thank you, CWRW, for the video guide (perhaps a link could be inserted on Harry's product page for others? if it's not already) and for all your fabulous textures and brushes for all 3D horsekind. Godspeed on your Harry displacement journey. Thanks, Dakorillon, for the link to Daio's product (which I own but forgot about). Thank you, HaiGan, for the Poser pointer, though I only use Poser for the outline feature nowadays. Thanks, Chris, for your beautiful creations and initiative.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Daz Horse 2 has just been made into a cow and people's minds are blown....they need to see this forum for sure!
Didn't the Mil Horse have a Llama morph?
Considering the HW horse started out as a woman (Dawn) and was used to start off the Big Cat (which spawned the House Cat and Big Dog) and now has a Deer morph (with cow, and dragon in the works) I think this beastie is pretty special :)

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Yeah just saw the cow set there. Very Nice. Makes me wish I had stuck with D/S so I could use ALL their new stuff. I feel left ut going with Poser. I wish the bull from harry was up and coming. Want it real bad and a cow and calf would be great too.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
While I didn't grow up around cows, I did get to spend some time around them since my mom's younger sister married a dairy farmer (Thanksgiving or Christmas we played football among the cow patties ... not fun!) and my dad's brothers and sisters ranched) ... but, it's been well over 30 years since I've been around a cow.

With the admission that I'm far from any kind of an expert, I wonder if Marguerite and Denver are intended to be a fantasy/stylized version of a cow and calf rather than realistic models. Not that there is anything wrong with a fantasy/stylized cow! Better believe when we get our hands on the HiveWire cow, she's not going to look much like a real cow when I'm finished with her.

On another note, it's been 60ish years since I was mobbed by geese when I was in first grade. I was supposed to be doing a sleepover, and my friend's parents raised geese. Lots and lots of geese. Big white farmyard geese. Anyway ... his parents thought it would be a great experience for little me to feed a massive flock of huge geese. After all, their son did, but he'd been raised around them! Needless to say, I did not spend the night. And, I was terrified of geese for years after.

Every one of those birds were bigger than me!

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
My animals/creatures are usually a main element in my images since, as an illustrator, most of my images tell a story of some kind.
I have noticed a tendency that many content creators create figures with a toonish look rather than a more realistic one. Of course there is a market for tune figures but there seem to be a great lack of relistic figures to balance toon releases.

Not being a content creator myself I can only imagine that it is far more difficult to create a realistic figure because the eye differentiates so acutely that flaws really are jarring.
The first bull DAZ offered was a toon animal and never really offered a more realistic one until now. Lynn was the first content creator who offered realistic animals and the bull in her Bovine set was born and though long in the tooth and full of flaws, I have thankfully used it ever since and still waiting for a new and improved one to come my way (LOOOOONG wait!). Same goes for her pigs sets. Lynn's was the first and best set created and offered to the Poser community and likewise I still use that set too. I see the same thing happening with fantasy creatures. It is frustrating when trying to create images where well created human figures have to stand next to badly made animals and/or fantasy/mythological characters who always look like they were made by the hand of a lesser god!
I praise artists like Chris and others here for instance, who from the onset, have raised that creation bar. By the same token I get frustrated when a third party figure is released which shows promise and not set up in accordance to Poser figure heirarchal functioning standards and/or not offering a set of supportive stuff for it. Blaming the community for not supporting a figure is a big cop-out if the content creators failed firstly and mostly in NOT supporting their own figure whether it be human animal or creature. There have been so many cases of this kind of thing and it is still a problem in the community in my opinion. Thankfully it is not going on here or at DAZ (for the most part).

Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary
I bought most of my farm animals at Content Paradise. They didn't pose well, but as I said, they were mostly for background figures anyway. I think the Mil Horse and Noggins cow or bull I forget which, was the the only animals I bought from DAZ.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I bought most of my farm animals at Content Paradise. They didn't pose well, but as I said, they were mostly for background figures anyway. I think the Mil Horse and Noggins cow or bull I forget which, was the the only animals I bought from DAZ.
Yeah they were pretty well made also have them both but if I recall the cow is a bit lower res (except the MilHorse1) which I still use and a far better more realistic horse than the long used P4 horse. milHorse 1 and Lynn's bull set have dominated my runtime and renders for a long time and though in need of better made replacement, are still viable figures I think.
The Content Paradise animals/figures/ creatures, etc in my opinion suck and have for the most part, always sucked.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
While I didn't grow up around cows, I did get to spend some time around them since my mom's younger sister married a dairy farmer (Thanksgiving or Christmas we played football among the cow patties ... not fun!) and my dad's brothers and sisters ranched) ... but, it's been well over 30 years since I've been around a cow.

With the admission that I'm far from any kind of an expert, I wonder if Marguerite and Denver are intended to be a fantasy/stylized version of a cow and calf rather than realistic models. Not that there is anything wrong with a fantasy/stylized cow! Better believe when we get our hands on the HiveWire cow, she's not going to look much like a real cow when I'm finished with her.

On another note, it's been 60ish years since I was mobbed by geese when I was in first grade. I was supposed to be doing a sleepover, and my friend's parents raised geese. Lots and lots of geese. Big white farmyard geese. Anyway ... his parents thought it would be a great experience for little me to feed a massive flock of huge geese. After all, their son did, but he'd been raised around them! Needless to say, I did not spend the night. And, I was terrified of geese for years after.

Every one of those birds were bigger than me!

What?