• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Do you mean while making a new hair set in the full version or just using/applying a preset with the free player? I haven't actually installed the full version yet, due to needing to do some other work, so I haven't messed with it at all yet. I haven't had many issues with the free player really other than once I've done a scene/render with it and then delete that all and want to open either a new file or another existing file, DS then crashes. When it does it seems to suck up/hang on to memory- one day after doing several LAMH renders I had to reboot my Mac to clear the memory.
Jeesh!
Have not had to do that on my macs since P4 and older versions of Photoshop.
Both apps back then were memory pigs who ate it all up and refused to,release,it when the app was shut off demanding reboot! I hated that so much glad I have not had to deal with it with modern Macs and newer versions of both apps!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes, I meant creating new hair with the full version. I would love to make a nice, fluffy winter coat for Harry,tufted ears for the mountain Lion...the new dog will be needing lots of new coats...but I get intimidated by the 50 page thread at Daz... and by the constant crashing.

VB's suggestions are all good. Honestly I have had very little crashing- the only things that have made DS crash using LAMH is after I delete a LAMH hair group, save the scene file sans LAMH and then try to make or open a different file. The other thing I found the other day is LAMH crashed when I went to save the first LAMH preset I did on the base Big Cat and then applied the Lion morph I got from Paul. It didn't like that at all:) So I had to start over from scratch using the Lion morph at the beginning. I think a lot of the crashing has to do with how much CPU and RAM one has. It does want to hog/fill your memory cache up fast if you do a lot of undo's etc. I haven't dared trying to use LAMH on any of my laptops even though one is an i7, but it only has 8G ram.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Jeesh!
Have not had to do that on my macs since P4 and older versions of Photoshop.
Both apps back then were memory pigs who ate it all up and refused to,release,it when the app was shut off demanding reboot! I hated that so much glad I have not had to deal with it with modern Macs and newer versions of both apps!

It's a very rare day I've had to do that. Most of my Mac towers stay up and running just fine without a reboot for weeks on end. Now I know a bit more about some of the LAMH quirks, I've not had to do that again.

Finally getting started on our HW Lion! Here is a WIP on him- this is using the Poser Hair Room- am going to attempt the same thing in LAMH (I do say attempt... we'll see!) I still need to do the tail and elbow tufts and belly fur and the diffuse map still needs lots of work and tweaks. This is Firefly- not sure if I can make this work in Superfly yet. (also this is using the base Big Cat, not the lion morph- I just did quickly what I could to make base Big Cat look more lion-ish:)
Also still need to start on the cub.

View attachment 29043

That is hands down the best lion I've ever seen!:geek: I would never have guessed that was Poser hair either, at first glance I just presumed it was LAMH. I've not tried the Poser hair room in years, found it a very frustrating experience and LAMH crashes constantly on my computer when trying to create hair, strangely fine to load and render it though.

Have you seen the LAMH addon that lets you easily render in iRay now? I think at the moment that it is only for items that the author has specifically set up to work with it though but it might be worth talking to him about it. I have it and it works superbly for his wolf model.

Carrara hair is much easier for me personally to work with and understand but I realised that there is a much smaller user base and so may not be the call for it.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks LadyFyre!

Yes I am working on a LAMH version as well- here are the latest WIPs on it (and these are iray renders- though not using the catalyzer). Still lots of tweaking to do on this and also my Poser version too. And yes I do plan to contact Alessandro about the Iray Catalyzer to see what I can do about that!:)

LionManeLAMHGo3_A.jpg
LionManeLAMHGo3_B.jpg
LionManeLAMHGo3_C.jpg

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting ready to BRAVE downloading/installing DS and LAMH free, and the DS versions of the house cat... just hope I can figure out how to do NON-PIXELATED DS renders to save a LOT of png's out of DS to use in my art... ! Hope my brain works with these programs!!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Welcome Cliff! Lovely to see you here. I still remember using your rigging tutorial from years ago to try and learn how to rig. There has been some animations done for Hivewire Animals...I'm not sure if it was for the big cat or the house cat. I think it was for the house cat.

That lion is amazing Laurie...having tried to do things in LAMH(I know how difficult it is) I think you are absolutely awesome at creating hair!