• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks! I've dreamed for a really good lion model since I got started in this 3d stuff back in 2004. Tried to mess with the Mil Big Cat but the UV had too much stretching to get any real detail on his face and the DBC2 the modeling is just so not realistic at all. Lions are my passion as much as horses (and actually they were my FIRST animal passion!) so this is a dream come true for me. Def going to try as hard as I can to do a LAMH version. The cool thing is since the hair is just the mane and tail and etc, not the whole body it should be much less computer resource intensive. Likely the Poser Hair will be an add-on- we are doing a regular modeled/transmapped mane etc as well which is really very nice as well- Chris hasn't UV'd it yet so no WIPs on that yet. The LAMH might be a free preset. Don't know yet.

Carey

Extraordinary
Finally getting started on our HW Lion! Here is a WIP on him- this is using the Poser Hair Room- am going to attempt the same thing in LAMH (I do say attempt... we'll see!) I still need to do the tail and elbow tufts and belly fur and the diffuse map still needs lots of work and tweaks. This is Firefly- not sure if I can make this work in Superfly yet. (also this is using the base Big Cat, not the lion morph- I just did quickly what I could to make base Big Cat look more lion-ish:)
Also still need to start on the cub.

View attachment 29043
just spent the night trying to make my old mill lion look good, ah, I came out a little short of looking this good...lol

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
That lion looks awesome, and the mane is spectacular! Events are transpiring so that I will soon be able to work faster on CG stuff (new [older] "super"-computer is coming...), so I might actually have some time to play with this when it comes out, instead of spending most of my 3D time waiting for things to load, and the rest of it waiting for things to render.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Very nice.
I have been fairly pleased with the DAZ big cat 1 the few times I have used it. Definitely better than the old poser lion!
I guess that is not saying much but what can I say.
But this on first sight looked like a resource eater...no pun intended!.....so, thanks for telling it won't be dear!
So the other version that will be offered with trans mapping etc, will be similar to the Mil Big Cat 1.......but better?!

Finally getting started on our HW Lion! Here is a WIP on him- this is using the Poser Hair Room- am going to attempt the same thing in LAMH (I do say attempt... we'll see!) I still need to do the tail and elbow tufts and belly fur and the diffuse map still needs lots of work and tweaks. This is Firefly- not sure if I can make this work in Superfly yet. (also this is using the base Big Cat, not the lion morph- I just did quickly what I could to make base Big Cat look more lion-ish:)
Also still need to start on the cub.

View attachment 29043

So gorgeous. I'm really impressed. I've done a little playing in the hair room recently to try set up a couple of "simple" (in theory) projects in the Hair Room for the purpose of learning, and they basically were exercises in tears. Especially since this box of bolts (computer) isn't very high-end...

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
So gorgeous. I'm really impressed. I've done a little playing in the hair room recently to try set up a couple of "simple" (in theory) projects in the Hair Room for the purpose of learning, and they basically were exercises in tears. Especially since this box of bolts (computer) isn't very high-end...

Thanks!

LOL believe me I've had my share of tears in the Hair Room too- any time I've tried a full body fur treatment the whole head area defeats me. I do ok on the body and legs- sorta:) For whatever reason doing just these areas on the lion have gone MUCH more smoothly/been more cooperative. Now on to learning LAMH next week...Wish me luck!:)

Thanks!

LOL believe me I've had my share of tears in the Hair Room too- any time I've tried a full body fur treatment the whole head area defeats me. I do ok on the body and legs- sorta:) For whatever reason doing just these areas on the lion have gone MUCH more smoothly/been more cooperative.

Yeah, if you select the whole head and grow hair, you get something resembling a tribble with some facial features. The trick, I guess, is to add hair in layers and groups via the editor. That's not easy, though, since you can only see the selected areas of the group you are actively working on.

Good luck with LAMH. I'm a Poser-only user who will never, ever try DS or DS-related stuff again. I just don't have the time or patience to relearn everything. I really despise the DS interface, lighting, and cameras. Poser's make so much more sense (to me).

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Actually I did do two different groups of hair on the head for the mane- What helped me was to take screen shots of my first grouping so I could see where those were when I made my second group. But yeah def not easy:) Getting a full head done would def be tough for me at this stage.

LOL well I pretty much got forced to learn DS but I am really liking the latest version much better. Still have some fits with lighting there but am starting to get the hang of that there. I do like having "more tools in my art box" so glad I am learning it. But yeah I've been a Poser kid since version 2, though it wasn't til version 5 I did much with it. Actually a lot of my early 3d art I made with Bryce 5:) Tried to learn Carrarra when I got a free version back when I was a Daz vendor, but def got lost in that other than running pretty straight forward renders of Howie Farkes products for backgrounds.

eclark1894

Visionary
The new Poser Product manager seems to be open to suggestions on how to help improve features in Poser . He's opened several threads in the SM forum. The latest being about Animation, but I've spoken of other things.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
The new Poser Product manager seems to be open to suggestions on how to help improve features in Poser . He's opened several threads in the SM forum. The latest being about Animation, but I've spoken of other things.

That's good news! I will have to try to get signed in again in the forums there- every time I've tried in the past it doesn't work right for me for some reason. I def have things I would like to see:)

Actually I did do two different groups of hair on the head for the mane- What helped me was to take screen shots of my first grouping so I could see where those were when I made my second group. But yeah def not easy:) Getting a full head done would def be tough for me at this stage.

Screen shots aren't a bad idea. Maybe I'll try it, if I ever go back to what I was trying to do (doubtful, at this point).

Zaarin

Brilliant
I'm reasonably certain that a high-end computer is less essential to learning the Hair Room than a Faustian deal with the devil. :devil"

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Can you post a link to that particular thread Earl? I have an account there and can't find it. Thanks!