• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

Harimau

Eager
The lion is coming on nicely and I am waiting for it to appear in the shops. I understand the tiger is next in line, so here I am with a wishlist: Colour variations. This occurs mainly in the Bengal tiger, very rare in the wild and mainly seen in captivity. Apart from the usual tawny-orange, there are 3 main colour variations golden, white and snowy white. A fifth variation, the black tiger has been reported but not confirmed. A last colour variation is the Maltese or Blue tiger seen mainly in the South Chinese tiger and as this subspecies is almost extinct, it is probably gone!

Colour Variations in a Bengal Tiger:

Screen Shot 2013-01-04 at 21.40.23.png

Bengal Tiger, Normal colour variant:

Contented_01_small.jpg

Snow White:

3426386811_84cc17c992_z_large.jpg

White:

MadridZoo-Panthera_tigris_tigris_small.jpg

Golden:

Golden_tiger_3_-_Buffalo_Zoo_small.jpg

Southern Chinese colour variant:

Maltese or Blue Tiger (An artist's Impression):
Maltese_Tiger.jpg

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
Thanks!

LOL believe me I've had my share of tears in the Hair Room too- any time I've tried a full body fur treatment the whole head area defeats me. I do ok on the body and legs- sorta:) For whatever reason doing just these areas on the lion have gone MUCH more smoothly/been more cooperative. Now on to learning LAMH next week...Wish me luck!:)

I know you are super busy, but if you could by any chance make a short tutorial on how you get LAMH to work without crashing , like the one about posing Harry's mane , many, many of us would be really grateful!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I know you are super busy, but if you could by any chance make a short tutorial on how you get LAMH to work without crashing , like the one about posing Harry's mane , many, many of us would be really grateful!

Do you mean while making a new hair set in the full version or just using/applying a preset with the free player? I haven't actually installed the full version yet, due to needing to do some other work, so I haven't messed with it at all yet. I haven't had many issues with the free player really other than once I've done a scene/render with it and then delete that all and want to open either a new file or another existing file, DS then crashes. When it does it seems to suck up/hang on to memory- one day after doing several LAMH renders I had to reboot my Mac to clear the memory.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
It seems like once you invoke the LAMH plugin -- either version -- there is no way to turn it off, and it just sits there getting in the way of everything. Probably less hassle over all to quit Studio once you've finished with it (or the render you're doing of what you did with it), and then relaunch it and get it out of the equation.

But then, LAMH stopped working on my rig a couple of versions ago, and I've not yet taken the time to boot up the current version of Studio and try to run it again to see if whatever was interfering with it has stopped. I do have a different computer now. But it's got to be the worst Mac I've ever owned.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
It seems like once you invoke the LAMH plugin -- either version -- there is no way to turn it off, and it just sits there getting in the way of everything. Probably less hassle over all to quit Studio once you've finished with it (or the render you're doing of what you did with it), and then relaunch it and get it out of the equation.

But then, LAMH stopped working on my rig a couple of versions ago, and I've not yet taken the time to boot up the current version of Studio and try to run it again to see if whatever was interfering with it has stopped. I do have a different computer now. But it's got to be the worst Mac I've ever owned.

LOL even when I tell DS to quit after using/rendering and then deleting the LAMH hair group and closing the LAMH pane, DS still crashes instead of just quitting. FWIW, I'm using a custom refurbed 2012 (old style big old tower- hate those cone things:) Mac Pro tower (Westmere model) with 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 32 G ram, ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB video card and El Capitan OS.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Mine's a high end 2015 iMac. Shipped with Yosemite -- which was downright destructive. Each system upgrade has been an incremental improvement, so whatever is wrong with this rig is probably not hardware. But something is wrong with it. (I've been running Macs since '90, so when I say this one is the worst, I have enough background to recognize it.)

The announced iMac Pro sounds good, but it's going to be shockingly expensive. Not sure I'm willing to pay it. And, of course, it's still an iMac. you need all kinds of FrankenMac work in order to run extras from an external housing -- since there is no way of fitting anything more into that case. And of course Apple no longer supports Nvidea, so Iray would still be in CPU mode.

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
Do you mean while making a new hair set in the full version or just using/applying a preset with the free player?

Yes, I meant creating new hair with the full version. I would love to make a nice, fluffy winter coat for Harry,tufted ears for the mountain Lion...the new dog will be needing lots of new coats...but I get intimidated by the 50 page thread at Daz... and by the constant crashing.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Yes, I meant creating new hair with the full version. I would love to make a nice, fluffy winter coat for Harry,tufted ears for the mountain Lion...the new dog will be needing lots of new coats...but I get intimidated by the 50 page thread at Daz... and by the constant crashing.

50 pages is a lot. Reading the 16 page user manual that comes with the full LAMH was almost enough for me, but some further observations:

1. Never try to cancel an operation (= inevitable crash) Just wait for it to finish.
  2. Never hit the button to remove vertices if there are no vertices selected (= inevitable crash)
  3. "Curl" is your friend, in small doses it does wonders.
  4. It is possible to select only some of the guidehairs and apply actions to them only (most useful revelation of all).
  5. "Frizz" also does wonders, both to roots and tips.
  6. Changing individual hair thickness is very important for a realistic look.
  7. Really high densities of hairs look the best; usually in the hundred thousands (or millions).
  8. It is impossible to save a project too many times!!!!! That way, if the plugin crashes, you've only lost about five minutes of work...
  9. Above all else, dialing up all the "random" options is what really does the trick. Random roots, random widths, random length, clumping, etc. Anything to add variety.
  10. It took me years to see this since I am colorblind, but taper, swirl, spherize, etc., have an xyz on top of them. Selecting a different option than the highlighted default (I couldn't see it was highlighted) changes the axis of operation. For example, with the default spherize, I used to pose the cat with it's tail standing straight up so that the fur would "point" toward the tip when I spherized it. Now, by changing axis of influence, I didn't have to re-pose kitty.
Send me a PM if you need help on something specific. I should get back to you within a year... ;) (I'm horrible at checking messages.)

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
I thought it meant Lost ALL My Hair... ;) I've done my fair share of hair-pulling over the plug-in's quirks, but now that there's no more left to pull out, I'm fine. (Just kidding!)

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Wow - how did I miss Sparky's big cat skeleton? Anyone got any idea how well either the big cat or the skeleton animate (animating often needs better rigging than still images do).

Cheers,

Cliff

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hey Cliff, nice to see you here. I do believe that the Skeleton and the Big Cat share the same rigging to it should work well together. Not sure about animation though, that's out my area! lol