• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

LAMH Presets for the Hivewire3D House Cat

Saiyaness

Motivated
Hi everyone! I'm so sorry for not checking this thread yesterday. I've received so much feedback and favourites on my Deviantart posts it's made my head spin, but no one asked me any technical questions there so I assumed everyone was fine! XD

If you own the LAMH Free Player, all you need to do is pose your cat, Attach LAMH Preset (Under Edit in Daz Studio) and you should be able to choose your fur export number (in whatever format you prefer). I don't have the free player installed right now so I can't check if you can modify the fur thickness amounts - at the moment I have the presets set at 80-30. If you make the hair thicker, you'll need less fur, which is also nice, but may look too coarse.

1200,000 is definitely the right amount. I was using 1500,000 for some renders, but for my machine, and others, 1200,000 looked good. Lesser amounts will probably be fine, but you'll notice thinness in areas, especially if you're using a bright rim-light like I like to. I still don't know what's best for the kitten.

Here is a link to Alessandro's Youtube Channel, specifically his video where he's using the Free Player with his wolf product. :)
...and of course his website, where you can download the .pdf for the full version Look At My Hair - Hair solution for DAZ Studio

I'll try to keep a better eye on this forum!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So I finally got it all working and had a render of the long hair...only for it to crash! I seem to remember that there is a way to recover the partially completed render. Does anyone know how? It took forever to get it to that stage and the render was 71% complete. Any ideas?

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
So I finally got it all working and had a render of the long hair...only for it to crash! I seem to remember that there is a way to recover the partially completed render. Does anyone know how? It took forever to get it to that stage and the render was 71% complete. Any ideas?

If you're lucky, sometimes a crashed render will be stored in the DAZ temp file directory. Mine is at C:\Users\Top Secret ;)\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\

I can't seem to determine a pattern though, because sometimes a crashed render will show up, other times, not.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Working on several renders using this- it is fabulous! I've been using your LAMH and iray setting suggestions and those are perfect so far. No problems/no crashing yet. I AM using pretty simple lighting (LOL that is partly because I am still working on getting my head to work with DS lighting and the environment settings:) Using DS 4.9 and the free LAMH player. The machine I'm running it on is a older Mac tower (2012 Westmere model refurb I had customized) with 2x 2.66 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 32G RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 5770 vid card (is my main 3D machine these days) Going to try the kitten later today after I ride my horse and do barn chores.

I'll post some renders up when they are done (been retooling one a bunch:) Most of the render times have actually been pretty good- about an hour to hour and half for a 1000x1300 iray render using one cat close up and depending on the lighting and other elements in the image.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Whoa, Laurie - I wouldn't say "better" but also gorgeous!!

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
lol, I forgot where those files need to be installed? any help??

where do you install this freebie,thanks

First, welcome to HiveWire, timnaas & wendi!

You first need the LAMH full product OR the free player, both at DAZ.

You can place the presets anywhere on your computer. Remember where they are

Install the LAMH Player or program.

In DAZ Studio:

Go to Window -> Panes (Tabs)-> Look At My Hair. That will add that tab and pane to DS for you.
Then, go to Create -> Attach Look At My Hair Preset.
Find where you placed the presets and choose one.

Then, you can change settings in the LAMH Tab

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Whoa, Laurie - I wouldn't say "better" but also gorgeous!!

Thanks Alisa!

But LOL I haven't figured out how to get that pretty shine on the fur that Jepe got. I am so dumb with lighting in DS. I am playing with the long fur on one of my Tuxedo kitties now and trying to get some shine on espec. the black part of the fur.