• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A question or more on P11

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I"m trying to load an object into Poser 11 so that I can then make a prop and texture maps.
I imported a Wavefront obj.
I made sure it could find the displacement, etc
It says it's there, when I go to the materials tab, I see the materials
But, I don't see the object.

So, I repeated the step, but this time imported at 10000%, thinking maybe it was too small, followed all the rest of the steps
And it says that I now have 2 in the scene, and there is still nothing visible.

I looked high and low and all around, and nothing shows?!
So, what am I doing wrong?

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
upload_2017-1-30_15-55-41.png

This is what I got

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Dakorillon (IMArts) said:
I looked high and low and all around, and nothing shows?!
So, what am I doing wrong?

It's most likely a scaling problem. Poser uses a tiny scale, and most other programs can't even export to such small sizes. If you don't model under scale, you will never know in what size Poser will load your OBJs in. The reason the object becomes invisible is because of the camera settings for hither and yon. In other words, the clipping distances. Most likely it has nothing to do with the materials.

One useful thing to try when you don't know your object's scale is to load the Poser cube primitive into your scene and scale it until it's the same size as a Poser figure. Then export it as OBJ and load it into your 3D modeling application. You can then use the cube as a reference for Poser scale. Alternatively, just model your objects in real world scale, which is always recommended.

Another thing you can do is to use the OBJ importing options in Poser, where the top option is to make your imported object the same size as a Poser figure. The default is "100% of original size", but you can change it to "100% of standard figure". If you type in 50 in the box with the 2nd option selected, you can make your object half the size of a standard Poser figure.

Hope it helps. :)

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Okay, another confusion, probably not as important as invisible props!
I've heard people say that Poser 11 doesn't have Superfly.
But when you are applying materials and such there is Superfly stuff. And I have the option to render with Superfly and Firefly, it seems like.

So, is that not really the case and they just look different? Or, did I misunderstand people?
How do I know for sure? So that I'm not doing something and thinking I'm doing one thing, but I'm actually doing something else.

Thanks

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
And back on importing and such. I've imported another Prop, following the steps above, and then stretched the y axis to make it long enough, as well as the over all scale to make it big enough, but I now have uncoolness happening in that the material is stretching? Is there a way to import with the changes I need, so that it doesn't do odd things to the materials?
upload_2017-1-30_18-20-16.png

The white line and the dark lines should be lining up...I think.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Okay, another confusion, probably not as important as invisible props!
I've heard people say that Poser 11 doesn't have Superfly.
But when you are applying materials and such there is Superfly stuff. And I have the option to render with Superfly and Firefly, it seems like.

So, is that not really the case and they just look different? Or, did I misunderstand people?
How do I know for sure? So that I'm not doing something and thinking I'm doing one thing, but I'm actually doing something else.

Thanks

Yes, you have the option to render with Superfly OR Firefly.

As for your 2nd question on the materials, if you scale, it's going to distort the materials. Even if you scale it in the modeler it will do the same.

You should load the horse into your modeler WITH the pole and scale appropriately then add some edge loops to prevent texture distortion.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I didn't model the prop, I'm just texturing it and saving the presets, so I have little to no clue what I'm doing or how to do that.

From DS I know you send it by bridge to Hexagon. From Poser?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I didn't model the prop, I'm just texturing it and saving the presets, so I have little to no clue what I'm doing or how to do that.

From DS I know you send it by bridge to Hexagon. From Poser?

Open the object file in the modeler. No "bridge" necessary.

However, if that's not your model, then I suspect you can't use it commercially - unless you have permission from the copyright owner.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yes, he made it for me (I commissioned it) and I have his permissions, he just want credit in the ReadMe. So, good to go there. So, I load the cr2 of Harry and somehow the cr2 of the pole. Scale the pole, then how do I add edge loops? Not great with Hexagon, either. I didn't have to adjust the other pole that I did, so I didn't run into this problem. Sorry for asking so many questions.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Yes, he made it for me (I commissioned it) and I have his permissions, he just want credit in the ReadMe. So, good to go there. So, I load the cr2 of Harry and somehow the cr2 of the pole. Scale the pole, then how do I add edge loops? Not great with Hexagon, either. I didn't have to adjust the other pole that I did, so I didn't run into this problem. Sorry for asking so many questions.

No need to apologize, we can't learn if we don't ask.

OK, in Hexagon...

Load the Pole

Load Harry

Select the Pole on the scene tab in Hex

Select an edge loop where you need to scale, preferably faces because they scale better.

Turn on soft selection

Then on the Vertex Modeling tab in Hexagon, choose Fast Extrude and extrude the faces you have selected to the right dimension.

FastExtrude.jpg

Now you should have a big gap in the edges where you extruded. That's where you want to add edge loops.

Select 1 edge of that large gap, then strike the K key (ring)

Now, with the ring selected, on the Vertex Modeling tab, click on Connect.

Connect.jpg

Repeat selecting edge, K, connect until you have enough edge loops added to make the pole uniformly spaced.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Oh, and one more thing..........

Delete the Harry object from the scene in Hexagon before you export your pole.

You are only putting the Harry object in Hexagon to make sure you have the proper scaling.

eclark1894

Visionary
Hey Dakorillon, just so you know, yes Poser 11 has Superfly and Firefly, but what most people don't realize is that it actually has a third renderer... Cycles. Superfly is actually a hybrid of Cycles and Firefly, so some of the Cycles nodes have been changed around, but if you have something that was made in Blender and textured for Cycles, Poser can render that too.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Hey Dakorillon, just so you know, yes Poser 11 has Superfly and Firefly, but what most people don't realize is that it actually has a third renderer... Cycles. Superfly is actually a hybrid of Cycles and Firefly, so some of the Cycles nodes have been changed around, but if you have something that was made in Blender and textured for Cycles, Poser can render that too.
Thank you, that is cool to hear, I have heard of Cycles and that that is what blender uses. Right now, if it isn't a default setting......yeah, it's probably not happening! lol But, it's nice to know that it's something that I can learn about in the future! I have LuxRender for Blender (never used it) and the Reality Plug-in for DS, (Have used it once!) so, more things to stretch my brain. I appreciate the head's up!

So, why do people keep saying that they have to get Poser 11 Pro to access Superfly? I know I've heard that said several times in different places....

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thank you, that is cool to hear, I have heard of Cycles and that that is what blender uses. Right now, if it isn't a default setting......yeah, it's probably not happening! lol But, it's nice to know that it's something that I can learn about in the future! I have LuxRender for Blender (never used it) and the Reality Plug-in for DS, (Have used it once!) so, more things to stretch my brain. I appreciate the head's up!

So, why do people keep saying that they have to get Poser 11 Pro to access Superfly? I know I've heard that said several times in different places....

Because you can only access Superfly through Poser 11. Superfly is an "adapted to Poser" version of the Cycles render engine.