• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A question or more on P11

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Another question:why does the Simon or James face always appear at the bottom of the surfaces tab in the material room?
It'w there instead of whatever face is for the model so one really can't see the texture correct there.
2016-11-16_165806.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That is odd, as I don't see that. You shouldn't see any character's head there, just the texture of the character's head. IOW, the UV map of the head with the textures/shaders you're using applied.

Then again, I have the Pro version, but even so, I've never seen anything like that with earlier non-Pro versions of Poser I've owned.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohh, hmmmm, not sure why that would happen. You might want to post a query on the SM Official Poser Forum. Folks there are quite knowledgeable.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I thought it might not be installed correctly on the desktop but it does the same on the laptop.
and there I let it install to the default directories.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
That's now the default in P11, but Netherworks had a replacement for it on RDNA when P11 first came out. He replaced it with a ball. Perhaps someone can find the link or Joe can post it here.........

Miss B

CV-BEE
Interesting as I never saw that when I first got PP11.

I thought it might just be a tweak that needed to be done, but since I didn't have to do it, I couldn't think of what it could possibly be.

tonyvilters

Inspired
FireFly will get the older square texture lay-out.
SuperFly will show the head.

FireFly render engine with FireFly mat setup is sure to have the texture.
SuperFly render engine with SuperFly material setup is sure to have the head.

Not sure any more if it is render engine selection or material setup that triggers the change.
Best regards, Tony

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhhh, now I wonder if that's what I did. Joe's post looks familiar, but I really don't remember seeing a figure's head in the Advanced Material Room when I first got PP11 the end of last year. Hmmmmm . . . then again, this old brain ain't what it used to be. :p

OK, I just checked, and I thanked him on 12/5/15 for that post, and I just checked, and I DID do exactly what he suggested with his download. Geeze, getting old s*cks!!

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
OK, I just checked, and I thanked him on 12/5/15 for that post, and I just checked, and I DID do exactly what he suggested with his download. Geeze, getting old s*cks!!

Funny thing, when I was digging this up, I half thought you had pointed it out to me on this forum and sent me to the RDNA forum when I was having a similar issue. Of course that could just be a false memory.

I will say I do feel like at some point the material room preview object did change. Maybe it was just a change from 2014 to 11, but I feel like I was originally looking for a way to change it, because I'd 'ended up' with the head.

Or maybe I just saw other people have the sphere in screenshots I was trying to learn from and wanted it to. In any case, it's a much better solution.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Funny thing, when I was digging this up, I half thought you had pointed it out to me on this forum and sent me to the RDNA forum when I was having a similar issue. Of course that could just be a false memory.

I will say I do feel like at some point the material room preview object did change. Maybe it was just a change from 2014 to 11, but I feel like I was originally looking for a way to change it, because I'd 'ended up' with the head.

Or maybe I just saw other people have the sphere in screenshots I was trying to learn from and wanted it to. In any case, it's a much better solution.

Actually, I changed mine way back when that thread first came out. But, one of the SRs to P11 changed it back, and I lost the instructions to fix it.

Darryl

Adventurous
Off with the head! I don't know who's bright idea that was but can't wait to change it. Could we not use one of those materials widgets as well?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh it's very possible I did GG, but that could've been before our old forum/site got hacked, and all the posts went with it. I wouldn't be surprised if you're remembering correctly.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I wish I could remember correctly, but today the Xanax is making my brain fuzzy.
Which might turn out funny if i put Dusk's head in Dawn wile trying to work...lol!

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Blender nicely gives you a choice of preview items: sphere, plane, Suzanne the monkey head, cube, and hair strands. IMHO, at least three of choices like that would be helpful. Like sphere, hair (because that's so specific), complex mesh.

Sorry in advance for the lateness and length of this reply. I spent too long messing with it. I realize the thread moved on, but I still wanted to respond. Feel free to ignore it.

Soon after I've got a good skin shader for FF, I switched to Octane. When I got a good skin shader for Octane, Cycles/Superfly came in. For those from DS there is also 3Delight and Iray. None of these rendering engines understand each other's materials, except for FF and SF. In spite of me being an Octane aficionado, I find myself using more SF nowadays exactly because it understands Poser materials directly. More recently I have realized that my custom FF/SF skin shaders don't work in Octane because it doesn't support Math nodes (only "multiply" is not enough).

That's when I came to know the Physical Surface that works in both FF and SF, and tremendously simplifies skin shaders, plastic, metals and glass materials. My only gripe is that it didn't exist in P10, so it's P11 only, meaning I cannot use it in store products. The scary part of all this is that if one wants to "fully" support both Poser and DS, we would have to create materials for 4 different rendering engines, where at least there is some common ground between FF and SF, but even then with limitations because of backwards compatibility. To make it better, Iray MDL nodes were undocumented last time I checked.

From all these renderers, it appears that Cycles is the one being more actively developed, while Octane seems to be the slowest to change from the bunch because they apparently have only one programmer. But even then, I saw people discussing version numbers in the Cycles developer conference video, where features added in Poser don't synchronize with the ones introduced in Cycles itself, so version numbers have no meaning when it comes to features.

It's great to have options, and many of us always wanted to have higher quality alternative rendering solutions for Poser/DS, but as things stand now, it's complicated.

Oh, I definitely think that it all depends on your interests, strengths, weaknesses, and goals.

I've been able to quickly create the kind of skin you get from the PhysicalSurface node in most SSS supporting renderers. Mitsuba, for instance, took me about 15 minutes to make that kind of skin. It's just SSS and blurred reflection. What usually makes good skin hard to do well is the multiple layers, varying relationship between subdermal and dermal scattering depending on areas and individual skin type, lack of internal flesh in areas like the nose and ears, and (in older people) the gathers of just plain skin, away from the flesh. Most serious skin shaders have multiple layers of scattering and back scattering to consider. And most of those don't handle anything but pale, pink skin well. They don't really take into account the role of melanin in making the skin more reflective and less permeable (but not opaque) to light. But the PhysicalSurface node only supports one layer of scattering.

If all you're talking about is SSS and reflection, wax, plastic, marble, and skin are all pretty much the same. Which is cool for many, if not most, people, just not me. And either as a PhysicalSurface, Firefly, or Cycles material, not at all hard for me to make. For the latter two, you need one node for the SSS, one for the reflection, and one for the Fresnel. That's it. It's finding the sweet spot for the settings that's the trick.

There's lots of reasons you might want to take your materials beyond the PhysicalSurface node in both Firefly and Cycles. Needing to use refraction, for instance. Or just wanting to understand how to put together a material in general. All Blender material tutorials I've looked at go a bit beyond what the PhysicalSurface node can do in terms of features (like issues with Fresnel and roughness). But sure, if all you're trying to do is make something that works, and it does, then use it. It especially seems useful for Firefly. I can't find a way to get colored transparency in Firefly without the PhysicalSurface.

In my experience, the tricky part of materials comes from particulars of the renderer. For instance, Cycles already has a Glass node. Problem is that it has weaknesses. If you're fine with those weaknesses, go to. But if you don't want dark artifacts in your glass in Superfly, you're going to have to learn how to get around its Fresnel refraction problems. And Firefly, well, Firefly doesn't have caustics. So its refraction is either overly shadowed or not shadowed at all. Glass, gems, and water take tons of tricks to handle without problems I find glaring. And that's not even addressing the fact that Blender's "Full GI" settings for Cycles gives you 128 Transmission bounces which render just fine, where I've never been able to go beyond 5 or so in Firefly without massive slow-down. And I've seen some serious problems with plain vases and such just below 16 bounces. Iray, on the other hand, has no problem _at_ all with refracting materials and renders them like a dream, even with dispersion. But I'd rather do skin reflections in Cycles or Firefly than Iray. There's pretty much no good solution for proper blurred and Fresnel controlled skin reflections in Iray.

Beyond an initial learning period, I don't find making initial, renderer-specific shaders that time consuming. Plastic and metal are pretty easy, as is the fake, non-refracting glass the PhysicalSurface node supports. About 80% of my work has always been compensating for a renderer's weaknesses, with the other 20% being the time spent getting to know the range of responses of different settings _really_ well through repeated testing (which is less of my time because it's mostly a one-time thing). For instance, most of my time learning Iray was trying to get rid of the awful edge artifact blurred reflections have. I assumed it was me, and that I was doing something wrong. I managed to isolate the issue (that's how I know it's the blurred reflection setting), and learned that there's nothing I can do other than not use that setting much and rely on bump and normal maps for softer reflections. I'm messing now in Blender/Cycles so I can get a handle on how normal maps work (they need to plug into a lot of stuff to work properly) and find a good work around for that Fresnel refraction problem.

I'm pretty clear on the physics shaders mimic. But that's me. I know most people aren't that into the material physics/optics side of things, and don't have any need to be. My advice is for those who either want the power to make their own robust or complex materials now or think they will in the future. Or just want to be able to make skin in the next awesome new renderer that comes out.

I enjoy making materials in good renderers. Except for having to deal with the DS interface (so not my thing), multiple PostgreSQL instances taking up processor power and memory for no benefit, and lack of a PFE equivalent, I don't find it hard to support shading in Iray. I'm pretty happy with Cycles, and I was happy with BI. Luxrender frustrates me a little in that it shares Iray's weakness with living SSS materials, but I'm more put off by its render times (and my inexplicably terrible experiences exporting scenes with Reality). I generally find material work more of a pleasure than anything. I usually enjoy Firefly, too, though I wish it could do more than it does. The FF GI blotch problem has never stopped _immensely_ frustrating me, and the lack of caustics makes a lot of stuff impossible to do accurately. By far most of my fakes and crazy material work has been trying to compensate for Firefly's lack of caustics. My tiaras were a joy to experiment with in Iray. Firefly, much less so. That said, I can't handle DS/3Delight at all.

In my experience, assuming equal shading feature support, the difference in procedural textures and layering methods are the most frustrating aspects of translation. That's killer for me. I don't think I can make my satin/velvet/lace layered material in Iray, for instance. I think _someone_ could very easily, but I don't think I'll be that person. It will be a big enough deal just to get to a velvet and a satin I'm satisfied with, because so much of both of my FF satin and velvet is procedural texturing and color math. Universal shaders would be _so_ cool, but what I'd _really_ love is consistent procedural texture implementations.

Cycles is being actively developed, but there's only so much that will be meaningful to the content community at this point. They're not touching on caustics or the Fresnel problems. That same video only mentioned about three things that will matter to most of the Poser community. One is the "Disney" node that will combine all aspects of shading into one node. I'm rather skeptical about that working well because I've seen lots of versions of this in the Blender community. Blender's node system allows you to make custom nodes with custom inputs and outputs (like Poser's compound nodes). So you can already make a node like that yourself, and many have. They've all been so complicated and unwieldy that most people still use particular materials. But you could duplicate them in Poser right now, if you wanted to. Maybe the built-in uber/disney node will be better, but considering the community is so involved in development, there's not usually a huge quality difference between what you find as random add-ons and what gets added as features. In fact, the former often become the latter. The second is the metal node. Again, I'm waiting to see how that stacks up to what's already out there in terms of custom metal nodes. Third is displacement, which is already in Cycles. I figure we'll have to see how Poser handles that.

So you've got two advancements you can find on your own right now very easily (look up Blender UberSurface, IIRC, and Cycles PBR) and bring into Poser today, and one advancement that Poser will almost definitely announce. Other than that, maybe I'm totally wrong, but I don't think the content community is going to use new motion blur features or any of the planned camera features.

I would love to see more of Octane. It's obviously an amazing renderer, and I've seen such great work done with it. If it weren't so expensive, with at least two licenses to keep up on, I'd have gotten it a long time ago. I noticed that even in its beta and maybe even alpha phase, Octane always seemed to have a very balanced focus. And everyone says it renders _so_ fast.

I agree things are complicated now. I think my vote would have been to implement the Cycles nodes in the background of the Poser nodes, add the Cycles nodes that didn't have Firefly equivalents to the general node list with an asterix or something, and internally address the switch between Superfly and Firefly and the input multiply vs. input override issue. Three root nodes and an unnecessarily difficult selection path to get to Cycles nodes is far from ideal. I think the PhysicalSurface node kind of helps, but I also think it hides lots of basic properties, and makes others, like anisotropic reflections and refraction, impossible to implement correctly. There's no good way to transition from understanding it to understanding either Firefly nodes or Superfly ones. In their tutorial video, Smith Micro said it was essentially a modern version of the Simple tab in the Material Room, and I think that's accurate. I think it would have helped people if the tool to make it easier to make materials in both renderers also made it easier to understand how to build materials in general.

It's funny your experience is so different than mine, although I image I know why, and I think I have found one more reason to maybe start moving away from google as my search engine. I suspect that since I spend so much of my time on sites related to Unity3D, my search results are 'tilted' towards things that reference gaming. And blender is definitely used massively in the indie game sphere, precisely because small studios don't have to worry about buying a license for everyone on their team.

You've obviously spent a lot of time looking at the various PBR renders, so thanks for all the info.

I think a lot of it comes down to how you use Poser. I was afraid of the Material Room until Poser 11 came out. Actually I was still afraid, but I loved what Superfly could do, but I had too many things that looked completely wrong if I just tried to use the Firefly materials. So I started to learn how to adjust them to work in Superfly, and the Physical Surface Node was so much easier for that.

But when I find some time, learning cycles is definitely on my list. Heck, I really need to sit down and learn how to do more than two things in Blender period.

Oh, I think I've miscommunicated. I wasn't saying there aren't lots of people in the indie game sphere that use Blender. I know there are. I was saying that most of the Blender community isn't indie game producers. Cycles was explicitly designed by Brecht for video and film as well as stills. Rendered animation seems to be the main focus when it comes to Cycles development. You go to BlenderArtists, the main Blender forum, and in, say, the general WIP forum, game content is in the minority (below 10% I'd say from the first page). But you see a lot about movies, sculpts, and stills. When I looked up the issue of caustics, I saw a whole bunch of people argue against them as unnecessary on the basis of them being too slow for film and therefore unnecessary. Games never came up. There's a whole section at BA for games, and the BGE is where a lot of simulations started, but the two big professional communities most (but far from all) Blender developers and users seem to focus on are the Zbrush/sculpting community and the animation community (with something of a bias towards Maya). The most popular resources for material rendering knowledge, BlenderGuru and BlenderCookie, have (in my experience) focused on stills and short animations. One of the best free material resources I've come across (not all physically accurate, but all good as a start), Chocofur, seems to be focused on stills.

I totally and completely agree with you about it being about how you use Poser (or any other 3D software). And I know I'm not the norm. That said, I've worked a _lot_ with materials, in a lot of different renderers, to the point that I'm very comfortable translating basic shading principles to new renderers. I figure the roadblocks and best practices I've encountered on my path might be useful to someone out there who, for whatever reason, wants to have similar skills.

I think most choices are about knowing the pros and cons, but for some reason most material stuff seems to become a discussion of right and wrong. I've spent way too long making wild shaders to compensate for Firefly's weaknesses, and seen too many _incredible_ but totally fanciful shaders (my favorite ATM is the crystal turtle) to be a realism/physical accuracy purist. I can make myself crazy in terms of realism, but I that's more of a weakness than a strength.

Let me say kudos! for overcoming your fear of the Material Room. I think fear is the main thing that separates kids from adults in terms of learning. The more comfortable you can be with not knowing what you're doing and making lots of mistakes, the more you can learn. I'm pretty much in a perpetual state of not knowing things I want to learn.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@kobaltkween I am indeed rather lazy when it comes to skin shader. I am happy with single layer SSS, and in most of my scenes, the effects aren't even visible because of the lighting I use. The effects are too subtle for most people to even know it's there. That's why I am Ok with the physical surface simplified node. SSS is even more complicated to set up in Octane, because there is no simple way to put it. Conversely, SSS has no impact whatsoever in rendering time, and neither does raytracing over transparency that tends to kill other renderers. If there is some, I could never see it. But what I like the most about Octane is the instant update of any changes I do on the scenes. This is especially appreciated when editing lights and materials. The Octane render refreshes almost instantly, so what you see is what you get. The same appears to happen with Cycles in Blender, but not in Poser because I think it needs to reload the entire scene and all the textures before it can refresh the render, and that takes time. Octane doesn't reload the scene, but instead it just refreshes the vertexes, which is way faster.

Once we get used (spoiled) with the speed in Octane, it's hard to compare it to anything else, but there is a caveat. The materials are rather poor, with no math nodes, and that handicaps my work with materials. It also doesn't understand Poser materials much beyond texture maps. I tend to rebuild my Octane materials from scratch every time, though it allows saving presets in its own format, or back to the Poser library. Like in Poser, I barely use SSS unless the lighting will make it worthwhile. Otherwise we can barely notice it's there in normal lighting conditions, even when I bother to configure it to use 2 layers. It's only noticeable in special lighting conditions - apparently not the lighting I use.