• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A question or more on P11

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It's come in handy on more than one occasion, though not because of Poser crashing. I sometimes forget that one last save before closing Poser, and it prompts me when I open Poser again. Very useful feature. ;)

BTW, it places the auto-saves into a folder with the same name as the file name you created when you first saved your scene. So, for example, if your scene is saved as Dawn1.pz3 the auto-save folder will be named Dawn1.pz3-autosave.

Miss B

CV-BEE
They're very similar. There's only a few "refinement" morphs in Dawn Special Edition. Try both, and see which one you like better. I usually use DawnSE, unless I want a slightly different look, and then I'll load up Dawn Special Edition.

What those differences are to 3rd party character morphs, I'm not sure. Don't think I've tried Dawn Special Edition with any of my characters sets for Dawn, but since a lot of them were made for Dawn SR2, and they work fine with DawnSE, I can't imagine any of them not working as expected with Dawn Special Edition.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Right. Dawn Special Edition comes with the base Dawn Figure (DawnSE), as well as a preset character (Special Edition Character). Since the Special Edition Character uses the SpecialEditionFace1 (as well as some body changes like narrow shoulders and slimmer hips), other characters will look slightly (or more) different than if you use the base DawnSE.

I'm not sure I've ever really started with the preset character, though I have mixed SE Face2 and 3 with some of my characters. I especially like the SE Face2 as it gives a Fae look to my characters.

Soo ... if you want to start with a look different than the default Dawn, load the Special Edition Character. If you want to start with a blank slate (so to speak), load DawnSE.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'll have to remember that about SE Face2, as I don't think I've looked at the extra Face morphs since we first got the SE update for Dawn.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I agree, Miss B, I only looked at them about a week ago in DS, haven't even looked in Poser yet. Thank you both for the advice. I wasn't seeing much difference, but now I know what to look for!

So, my next question. How do I keep her combat boots on? I have them both parented at the hip in Poser. But, when I pose her, they stay behind. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Combat boots should be conformed, not parented.

You can drag and drop them on Dawn to autoconform, or you can load and then conform to Dawn

With the boot selected, click Figure
Conform To...
Select Dawn

upload_2017-5-28_2-12-18.png

upload_2017-5-28_2-12-29.png

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks Ken. I thought you could do that too. But I always drag and drop. Fewer keystrokes/mouse clicks.

I'm sooo lazy!!! I want a computer that melds with my mind so I don't have to type, mouse, or talk. One day we shall be one with our computers!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks Ken. I thought you could do that too. But I always drag and drop. Fewer keystrokes/mouse clicks.
I'm sooo lazy!!! I want a computer that melds with my mind so I don't have to type, mouse, or talk. One day we shall be one with our computers!

A computer with a "Make Art" button! :D

Miss B

CV-BEE
You can also right-click the boot and select "Conform To--> Dawn".
Ohhh, I've never tried that. Thanks for the tip. :)

Hmmmm, not sure I'd want to be one with a computer, as I wouldn't want the computer taking over. ;)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist

A computer with a "Make Art" button! :D

So you know, it's funny because I've spent a lot of time thinking about this. To some degree it would be amazing if a computer could pull the image out of my mind and put it on the screen. But actually here's the thing, if a computer could do that, I think you would still see a big difference in artists because I think the pictures in our brains are not as complete as we thing they are.

So for instance picture this: Wonder Woman (cause you know, in the zeitgeist at the moment, all Wonder Woman awesome) kneeling on the edge of the cliff looking out dramatically.

So there's the image in my brain. If a computer made that image though, I think probably most of the background would just be a grey haze. I mean as I start thinking about it, I realize that there should be a full moon in the sky behind her. But still you need to know where to place that moon so it adds to the image and doesn't distract. Now is the cliff she's on jagged and rocky, or is there vegetation on it. Actually I think in my brains first image it was a jagged rocky cliff, but it might be cool if there was a loan tree with it's branches stretching over her. Or maybe not, now I'm not so sure that's the right image.

Regardless, is she way at the bottom right of the image? She started out that way, but I'm realizing that's not great composition. She should probably be a little higher up so you can realize she's way up high looking down on the world. . . .

And why the hell is she on a cliff anyway? I mean where is she? I still think of Wonder Woman having around mostly near Washington DC because of the old TV show, but where is she, and what is she doing in this image. I have no idea. I've realize now that I've taken a character, put her in kind of a generic dramatic superhero looking out over the city pose (but didn't put her in a city) and I really don't know what the point of this image is other than Wonder Woman is cool.

Back to the Make Art drawing board.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Brings me back to Phil Cook's Toolbox for Poser, where there was a "Make Art" button that built a whole scene with a mouse click! :p

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Haha he has a great sense of humor, as it seems. The button is really there, and it's called "Make Art". :D

Miss B

CV-BEE
That's funny. I have a number of goodies I've gotten from Phil, but that tool set isn't one of them. I'm going to have to check it out. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It's funny indeed. The plugin is called "Poser ToolBox", and I bought it for [I think] Poser 7, but it still works in Poser 11, though I haven't tried everything. Here's the funny button (image below). Starting from the main script menu, it's under the "Geometry Tools". That's for those who claim that Poser doesn't have a "Make Art" button. LOL

MakeArtButton.jpg