• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do
It's not actually using the UCH that's giving me issues. It's getting what I see in my head to translate to Poser. I'm not a very good artist and never claimed to be... LOL

Eh, well. I did make some progress. I don't think I'm going to get the final pose and angles I wanted. Here's a quick sneak peek. I rendered this with a friends method of rending 2D-ish images (it's not my method to share, so I won't go into details). My friend's flattened method hides a couple of flaws for the moment. I had to use two copies of the suit. One for the head, and one for the body. They didn't meet up cleanly, so I hid the result with a scarf. Scarves are cute on toons, though... LOL The fit on the "hood" part is really kind of a disaster on the sides-back (that's why I probably won't get the final pose and angle I wanted). Who knows, maybe if I get the actual idea hashed out, it'll come out ok... I won't have much PC time for a couple of days again.

Attachments

• UCH-Dragon-Suit-Lolli--TS.jpg
    UCH-Dragon-Suit-Lolli--TS.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 289

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The fit on the "hood" part is really kind of a disaster on the sides-back (that's why I probably won't get the final pose and angle I wanted). Who knows, maybe if I get the actual idea hashed out, it'll come out ok... I won't have much PC time for a couple of days again.

So cute!! For things that won't fit, the Morphing Tool (if you are in Poser) is your friend. :)

So cute!! For things that won't fit, the Morphing Tool (if you are in Poser) is your friend. :)

Thanks.

True. I finally learned how to use the morph tool with Poser Pro 2014 and Sixus 1's tutorial. It's one of my favorite Poser tools now. For poke-through mostly, but I can't imagine doing without it now. I've pulled off some insane things in Poser since I learned how to use it. I actually *did* use it for this, but i just couldn't undo all the rough areas with it (my hands aren't very nimble these days and my eye-sight is really bad).

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I finally learned how to use the morph tool with Poser Pro 2014 and Sixus 1's tutorial. It's one of my favorite Poser tools now. For poke-through mostly, but I can't imagine doing without it now. I've pulled off some insane things in Poser since I learned how to use it. I actually *did* use it for this, but i just couldn't undo all the rough areas with it (my hands aren't very nimble these days and my eye-sight is really bad).

For the record, I have created all of my Body Type-1, 2 and 3 using only the Morphing Tool. When rigging, I also create all of my JCMs and general morphs with it. "Toon Hikari" and "CatsEyes" for Dawn were also created entirely with the Morphing Tool and magnets. There is a lot we can do with magnets, which is yet another Poser feature people rarely touch. For the record, Vicky4's JCMs were made entirely with magnets, and she was the most popular figure in ages - I think she still is. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's one thing I rarely think about, unless I'm using Joe's Hair Conversion System on some of V4's hair so Dawn can use them.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That's one thing I rarely think about, unless I'm using Joe's Hair Conversion System on some of V4's hair so Dawn can use them.

I just parent the hair (prop or conforming) to the head, no matter what figure it is for, and then reposition and resize it to fit using translation and scaling dials. Has always worked for me, and requires no special tools. The disadvantage of this method is that longer conforming hair no longer stays together with the torso, but then I just add a magnet to adjust it in a non-destructive way. The advantage is that I can use any hair with any figure without conversions. There are pros and cons, but I find it very practical, and it also works in DS.

I can't use a magnet to bend things to my will in Poser. Despite many tries (with several sorts of tutorials) and lots--and lots--of swearing like a sailor (and possibly some angry tears). I asked Sixus1's Les about a magnet tutorial at one point after I tried the morph tool one. Normally, I'm not a big fan of video tuts, but their morphing tool one broke through some block in my brain and I grasped it. That being said, I don't do morphs with the morphing tool in Poser. When I've tried to morph figures' faces, they turned out looking like Klingons with birth defects... :oops:

Ooh, crud. Gotta go. Thunderstorm closing in.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I was going to make a magnets tutorial, but I think Chuck Taylor (Nerd3D) has beat me to it. ;p

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I actually don't know, and I am not 100% sure it was Nerd3D - I just remember somebody did it before me. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
If I made a magnets tutorial, it would be rather short. I can explain everything in a few minutes, but then there is the part with painting weight maps, and that could be make it a bit longer. Besides that, magnets are pretty simple once you get the basic concepts, which are all well explained in the Poser PDF manual. I have learned everything I know from there.

Ok... I messed the camera position up on this yesterday and can't seem to get it back quite where I wanted it, but... And the DOF isn't giving me quite the effect wanted, either. But here is "Please Don't Let Them See Me..." I seem to channel The Littles a lot, for some reason. Body and clothes belong to ChibiBel and hair belongs to Star. Scene is Richabri's Home Library. Rendered in Poser Pro 2014 with DOF.

Attachments

• UCH-Chibi-Princess-Don't-Let-Them-See-Me--TS.jpg
    UCH-Chibi-Princess-Don't-Let-Them-See-Me--TS.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 246

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Ken, where is the pigtail hair with ribbons from on the UCH page promo?

I dig those prop hairs from random Japanese sites that offer MQO models for Metasequoia. The meshes quality are not particularly good, and often require remodeling. Most come triangulated (to be used in MMD) and need to be remodeled into quads, which is quite a tricky thing when it comes to Anime hair. Many programs, like 3DSMAX, have options to quadrify meshes, but they tend to remove the wrong edges and destroy the model. I used to have a large collection of meticulously remodeled hair props in my runtime, but I had a hard drive crash back in 2013 and lost EVERYTHING - the entire Poser runtime. I have slowly started to build it back, but so far I only managed to gather a dozen pieces. I am making backups on an external drive now. :)

The promo with 4 Nearme figures, however, use hair from Nearme herself. Some ship with her, and some I have purchased directly from eFrontier in Japan.

Ok... I messed the camera position up on this yesterday and can't seem to get it back quite where I wanted it, but... And the DOF isn't giving me quite the effect wanted, either. But here is "Please Don't Let Them See Me..." I seem to channel The Littles a lot, for some reason. Body and clothes belong to ChibiBel and hair belongs to Star. Scene is Richabri's Home Library. Rendered in Poser Pro 2014 with DOF.

Aww, that's so pretty! CbibiBel was one of the figures I have used in the promos. The cool thing is that we can use ANY figure that has the right wardrobe. ^___^