• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Todays Weather where you live?

McGyver

Energetic
Ugh... it’s colder than a witch’s ti... titillating... conversation... outside... yeah... that’s what I was going to say... titillating conversation... very cold... don’t get into a conversation with a witch unless it’s very warm that day or you are dressed in layers.

But, yeah... 26°F/-3°C... clear and dry out... the wind is around 15 mph, so the windchill is probably around 13°F / -10°C more or less...
Seems like snow might be on the way in the next few days.

Well, it’s almost February, so no big surprise... as much as I dislike the hassle of snow, there being unusually warm temperatures and no snow is kinda disturbing.

Semi-weather related... my sad little weather station seems to have finally died... it actually was a nice little unit once upon a time, with a little remote wind sensor and precipitation gauge, but wind sensor died early on and the batteries in the rain gauge leaked/erupted, but that was all unnecessary stuff, as the remote temperature sensor and indoor unit was the nicest part... for me humidity is a big issue, because a lot of stuff I work with is sensitive to humidity as much as temperature and this unit had a nice feature that fairly decently predicted humidity levels for a day or two ahead...
But of course the stupid batteries leaked... and catastrophically too... the board inside seemed to have corroded damaging most of the circuits and components, so it’s not even an issue of cleaning off the contacts and housing interior, the whole thing is ruined.
I‘d say it’s sorta my fault because at this point I know better than to leave a battery in something once it seems to have died... just in case it has leaked.
But the real fault is the damn garbage batteries and specifically the “orange metal topped” brand, which I keep banning from this house, but I keep finding in stuff.
I now buy mostly the store brand from the big club stores as the reliability (life span and probability of leakage) is about the same to slightly better than the bunny batteries and way, way better than that copper crap one.

“The brand more professionals choose“ my butt... unless it’s because they can afford to throw out damaged equipment like used Kleenex... My assessment is 80% or more of the leaked batteries I’ve encountered are from that one brand.
and since friends and family often come to me to fix things with batteries that leaked, I get to see a lot of those batteries doing what they do best...
I’ve even had a brand new two month old package with multiple batteries leak inside, as well as an unused months-old 9 volt that actually exploded on a shelf... not pooped or burst... blew up.
Believe it or not, it’s a thing... a shorted out 9 volt can explode like a firecracker and ones with one piece plastic housings can short out if the little cells inside leak, filling the inside up and making a short which starts the battery cooking.

Okay, I should stop... I started out about my weather station croaking and now I’m channeling Ralph Nader.

Which isn’t bad, as I’m quite pro-consumer rights and safety, but this is a weather thread after all.

Cheers.

Last edited:

DanaTA

Distinguished
Got at least four inches yesterday and overnight. Shoveled it today. Snowblower has a gas leak, so I went the manual route, rather than light myself on fire! A tip: spray Pam (cooking pan spray) on the shovel...it keeps the snow from sticking to the shovel and building up and weighing it down.

Dana

McGyver

Energetic
Got at least four inches yesterday and overnight. Shoveled it today. Snowblower has a gas leak, so I went the manual route, rather than light myself on fire! A tip: spray Pam (cooking pan spray) on the shovel...it keeps the snow from sticking to the shovel and building up and weighing it down.

Dana
Ugh... I’ve been doing it the wrong way... I’ve been shoveling with my frying pan (but using Pam) and frying stuff with my snow shovel... But honestly, the thin aluminum does distribute the heat evenly and it makes it easier to flip large hunks of meat for even browning and crispness.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh I picked up a bunch of things at the supermarket this afternoon, so I should be good.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It's 25°F here right now, and the forecast is predicting 14"-18" of snow between 7:00pm tonight and some time early Tuesday morning.

YIKES!! o_O

You're warmer than we are! We were -2F overnight Saturday, and today it "warmed up" to all of 15 degrees this afternoon. LOL.

And hubby forgot to leave the taps open a bit when he left the house this morning to go to church, so when he got back, of course he had a bear-fit because the kitchen pipes froze and he had to go after the pipes with a heat gun.

We're supposedly getting snow sometime Monday into Tuesday, but well. In this town, I'll believe it when I see it. 98% of the time they tell us we're getting snow or rain, and we get nothing at all because it all just blows overhead and goes past us (we're at the bottom of a valley, so.)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well I just checked Weather.com and now they're saying 3"-5". I can live with that for sure. That's about what we had the last time, and with all the buildings around here having snowblowers, it wasn't too hard to get around the neighborhood last time, so shouldn't be too hard this time either.

I can see it snowing out there, but it's a light weight snow, just steadily coming down. It's supposed to get windier later, so definitely going to feel colder. ~Brrrrrr~

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
We have now since 1 week rain. 24/7 . While there is still a lot of snow there, the rain makes it even more worst. A muddy mess.
Not cold, between 5 and 8°. But very uncomfortable .
Hope will get a bit better soon. Even when it will snow again, anything better than this wet mess.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
If the rain come tonight it may ends here at 10-15 inches of snow. If not then maybe 18-24 " until tomorrow morning.
I barely can see anything outside since the wind blowing off all the fluffy snow from the roofs what have also positive side.
For the streets sadly my winter boots are too short to pass through and tomorrow people gonna have a hard time to free out their cars when it is over . I grow up in North of Europe where winter was heavy and long ( not more today)

I was always wondering why people here always buying a lot of toilet paper before any kind of storm , that is the last thing necessary to survive

McGyver

Energetic
Fun times...
So far the totals snow accumulation for my area was supposed to be 12.5 inches (31.75 cm or 317.5 millimeters or 317,500 micrometers), but the last time I measured the accumulation in a protected area, it was a little over 16 inches (406,400,000 nanometers or 40.64 cm or 00.0004064 Kilometers)... (Sorry if the metric equivalents are too diverse, I’m not sure which ones people are more familiar with, so I included extras)...
The winds are fun too...
50 mph gusts (80.4672 kph or 22.352 mps or 00.098643578510000019173511445225 parsecs per hour)...(to be honest, the parsecs one is a guess, but I’m like feeling it’s probably accurate, that and the other choice was Liters Per Hobbit)....(a “Hobbit” as in the welsh unit of measurement equal to two and a half bushels or 4 imperial peckers... or is that pecks... I’m going with peckers which sounds better and I’m guessing is probably around ten to fifteen centimeters which is the standard length of an imperial woodpecker fully stretched out...)
Fully disclosure... I’ve been drinking a little bit.
I spent several hours cleaning the snow in my driveway and patio and in front of my workshop and now my arms are really tired...
Actually they are not bothering me so much now...
Probably the several White Russias I drank when I came inside...
In my defense I seem to be out of other more appropriate alcoholic beverages like rum and tequila, and something with Kahlua and vodka seemed acceptable...
Apparently someone, probably a mouse or something, drank all my other boozes and I’m down to the boozes I don’t usually drink...
All the recipes they had online and on the bar napkin I drew my designs for a quantum temporal parallax transgrofnegator on all had recipe amounts that seemed way to small for a real drink... so I converted those measurements to my own and here we are...
Also... what does frostbite look like?
Anyway... it’s really cold and windy and I got totally soaked to the bone and pretty much gave up cleaning when my snowblower ran out of petrol or ”gas“ as the Europeans call it... no wait... Europeans call it something metric... kilovapors or something... it’s Americans and Canadiacans that say ”gas”... or is that about farts...
Running out of gas isn’t a big deal because I still have 30 or 40 gallons (0.113562 - 0.151416 cupid meters or 100 Kilocherubs) of petroleum stored away in case I need to burn something...
I mean run my generator or chainsaw or something...
Full disclosure... I was using a metric measuring cup instead of one of those drink glasses with the measurements on it... those always seem so small... 250 ml is equal to like a half ounce right?
Well, too late anyway...
If a toe falls off it’ll grow back... right?
Anyway...
Very cold... damp and I’m pretty sure there are Yetis in my yard... Canadiacan Yetis...
This is why we need to build a wall between Americania and Canadia... you have all these Canadiacan yetis come down here knocking on your door offering to shovel your driveway for probably money or something... sure they look like the neighbor’s kids, but that’s how the scam works... and your neighbor’s kids are weird looking anyway and the yetis know that...
You gotta think like a yeti... that’s how you outsmart them...
That and growl at them when they ask you if you are feeling okay...
Then they run of cry to their house across the street...
Oh...
Hmm...
Whatever... it’s not like everyone who lives around here wouldn’t expect me to growl at their kids...
Well...
I should probably go now... various people are poking and prodding me about some dinner thing I’m supposed to do...
Heres a picture from earlier today to prove I’m actually not hallucinating the snow...
A47AC1E7-34D3-4C00-84AA-7256B35E9B36.jpeg

That was taken outside...
I don’t know if I clarified that it was snowing outside or not... That’s usually where it snows...
But I don’t know if you are like me and are subject to weird phenomena occurring frequently enough that stuff like that might need to be clarified.
To be honest, most of what I wrote up there l’ve already forgotten and I’m just assuming it was about snow or possibly obscure welsh measurements involving peckers...
I dunno...
Well...
Good night?
Sounds good...

-Hugs and doughnuts, your bestest friend and fellow earth person, Vic

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I was always wondering why people here always buying a lot of toilet paper before any kind of storm , that is the last thing necessary to survive
Human are strange creatures and sometimes they are so irrational that you even can not analyze their behavior.
My husband was telling to me a story yesterday evening.
One of his working colleagues was telling to him that his father , who work in a Mr Bricolage store had his hardest day ever since.
People was fighting each other for Paint. Wall paint, any kind of paint. They even had to call the police.
The reason, since Sunday every store over 20.000m² is closed. Even when the store staff tell the people that they stay open, because less than 20.000m², they don't listen and keep throwing punches at each other.LOL
Go figure it out.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
DSC_0416.JPG

This morning pics, they said couple of hours of more snow this afternoon expected. My husband was only one that showed up for work today (walking) the rest of the crew is trapped somewhere on the way in the snow. Winter Wonderland, so quiet outside like after a rapture or something lol zero noises.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
@MEC4D
This is a lot of snow. For now , we are almost snow free. But it did not stop to rain. The forest path I used to walk with the dog, I was till the ankle in wet mud/water. So ugly. Not possible to make a walk currently.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
@MEC4D
This is a lot of snow. For now , we are almost snow free. But it did not stop to rain. The forest path I used to walk with the dog, I was till the ankle in wet mud/water. So ugly. Not possible to make a walk currently.
Right now only trucks can pass on the smaller streets, a lot of normal size cars got stuck yesterday, my husband is back home right now, nobody make it to the job side.

McGyver

Energetic
Human are strange creatures and sometimes they are so irrational that you even can not analyze their behavior.
My husband was telling to me a story yesterday evening.
One of his working colleagues was telling to him that his father , who work in a Mr Bricolage store had his hardest day ever since.
People was fighting each other for Paint. Wall paint, any kind of paint. They even had to call the police.
The reason, since Sunday every store over 20.000m² is closed. Even when the store staff tell the people that they stay open, because less than 20.000m², they don't listen and keep throwing punches at each other.LOL
Go figure it out.
You think that’s stupid, last year before a winter storm that never materialized, people cleaned out the bagged ice machine at my local super market...
I get that maybe they were worried the power would go out... but it’s a “w-i-n-t-e-r“ storm... one of the features of which is that thing called “cold”... so if you are sitting there with no power, it’s probably gonna get cold anyway... in fact, you are probably just making it worse...
Also, people cleaned out all the ice cream, all the popular frozen vegetables and frozen pre-made dinners... so I think there was a theme...
People are strange... very strange.
Humanity’s theme song should be “People Are Strange” by the Doors.

Mr. Bricolage... I thought they were bought out by Kingfisher or someone?
Their motto “Faite-le-vous-même”... sounds so much better than Home Depot’s “Get It Done”...
At least “Do it yourself“ is more open ended... it can be apathetic- “I don’t care... do it yourself...“ or surly “Oh, just do it yourself!”, or just a kind suggestion “ok.. do it yourself“...
Home Depot’s motto is like a threat... “Get It Done... or else...“

When the pandemic started here they shut down the some of the ”big box” stores... But, Home Depot and Lowe’s (the U.S. versions of Mr. Bricolage) stayed open though...
I have to go to there ever few days because I’m always making things, so that was lucky for me...
Unfortunately, bored people decided that was a great place to hang out and see friends and take their dogs for an outing (don’t get me started on dogs in big warehouse stores... I love dogs, but they don’t belong in those stores, its too dangerous for them)...
So because of that, they ended up limiting the number of people inside the store (which is a good alternative to closing it) and technically they were supposed to kick out lingering people just wasting time, but I doubt they ever did that.
Fun times were had by all who now had to roast in the sun on long lines...
Thats not a thing at this point anymore... but it fits in with my often used saying “Stupid people always have to ruin everything for everyone“.

People... ugh.

Miss B

CV-BEE
People are strange... very strange.
Humanity’s theme song should be “People Are Strange” by the Doors.
I happen to be a huge Doors fan, so as soon as I read your first line, the lyrics to the song started running around in my head. :rofl:

McGyver

Energetic
I happen to be a huge Doors fan, so as soon as I read your first line, the lyrics to the song started running around in my head. :rofl:
They won’t go away either... this is your life now...
That happens to me too... like when I mentioned “People are strange”... now it’s stuck in my head, and probably will be until tomorrow or longer.