• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Todays Weather where you live?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's what we're getting here in the City as well, because there's no wind this time, so it's falling straight down and accumulating on everything. :(

DanaTA

Distinguished
Yup, no wind. Looks like we've gotten at least 5" so far. It was supposed to be 3" to 5" on Friday night's forcast...but last night, it changed in our area to 6" to 9". Looks like we're on target for that, since it will keep going until this evening sometime.

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
Now I’m picturing a Kingfisher with one of those huge ornate boxing championship belts... or those big belts Elvis would wear... The Elvis image works because it’s easy to picture them with the sideburns.

Fun useless triva about the Belted Kingfisher...

Apparently, in Greek mythology there was a husband and wife (Alcyone and Ceyx) who went around saying in jest they were Zeus and Hera...
Zeus being the fun loving guy that he was, who could always appreciate a good joke, killed Ceyx with a thunderbolt while he was at sea.
Alcyone upon hearing of his demise, threw herself into the sea and drowned, because apparently no one in Ancient Greece ever knew how to swim unless it was important to the plot of a story... Fortunately the other gods were like “Jeez, Z... take a friggin’ chill pill“ so out of sympathy they turned the two into seabirds (Kingfishers) and granted them 14 days of good weather each year when they could nest and raise their young... the term “Halcyon Days” a moniker for “Good Old Days” comes from the name of the mythical Halcyons (Alcyons/kingfishers).
To this day, some kingfishers (such as the Belted Kingfisher “Megaceryle alcyon”) still bear ”Alcyone” in their scientific name.

And thanks to my years of nonsense, nobody (and rightfully so) probably believes any of that... in fact both me and DanaTA made up “Kingfishers” who don’t actually exist except for pair of Bostonian pigeons who go by that name because they often drink the Indian beer, “Kingfisher brand“ in front of a tandoori restaurant in Cambridge... and technically they don’t really count because they’ll drink Taj Mahal lager too.
Belted Kingfisher

And the scientific name is actually correct!

You brought to mind a famous Star Trek episode, in which Harry Mudd had robots under his control. Kirk beat them with a single statement: Everything Harry Mudd says is a lie! Then Harry said, "I'm lying!" Tilt!

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
That's definitely an interesting bird, and so colorful. I like the way the feathers on his head stand straight up, almost like a crown, which probably helped give him the name Kingfisher.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Cicadas are still singing their tune downunder as we head into our last month of summer

and a family of Griswald grasshoppers are holidaying in the laundry.

temps daily hovering around 22° - 30° celcius. 75 to 90f

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
All day long too. It was so dismal.

People simply never learn. It's not been warm enough for the snow to completely melt, and when it does, it leave water on the surfaces, which then freeze.

So, last night I hear a sound like something got disconnected off a truck and was being dragged down the block. I finally went and looked out the window, and it had been a car that hit something and spun around until it was pointed into the side of the street. Within 10 minutes, a cop appeared, followed over the next half hour by another dozen cops, an ambulance, and several tow trucks.

There is a reason you are extra careful when there is water on the roads and the temperatures are hovering around or below freezing. Because even if the temperature is above freezing, the street surface is NOT.

AND all you folks driving so carelessly in Philadelphia?!? You cannot see black ice!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I had to go out into the world Saturday to pick up two prescriptions for a lingering cough after being sick for two weeks over New Years. I found a nearby CVS that has drive thru service, so went there. The guy at the window was wearing a mask. But ... it was only covering his mouth. Not his nose.

Then while I was waiting in the apartment lobby for my packages, a guy walked into the building and onto the elevator, and he wasn't even wearing a mask!

This is why I'm more than happy to stay isolated and secluded away from all humans.

McGyver

Energetic
While I was cleaning the front of my house, car after car came down the road with no lights on... my favorite are the white or silver cars... pretty much invisible until they crash into someone.
And literally every pickup or SUV speeding... you can hear from the sound of the tires that they are at the threshold of their traction.
I guess people don’t really read the fine print in the commercials... “this isn’t real, don’t try this you idiot”
Megh... people are dumb.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I had to go out into the world Saturday to pick up two prescriptions for a lingering cough after being sick for two weeks over New Years. I found a nearby CVS that has drive thru service, so went there. The guy at the window was wearing a mask. But ... it was only covering his mouth. Not his nose.
Oh, I see that here a lot and wonder why those "individuals" haven't caught COVID-19 yet. ~shakes head~
Then while I was waiting in the apartment lobby for my packages, a guy walked into the building and onto the elevator, and he wasn't even wearing a mask!
We have signs all over the building, including in the front door windows stating, face coverings must be worn at all times, especially residents when they are out of their apartments.

We just got a new intercom system in the building that has video options, so if someone rings for me, I can see who it is, and if they're not wearing the face mask properly, or at all, they're not getting in the building. Our doorman has instructions as well in that regard.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
We had Saturday a Sand coming from the desert with rain. The sky was yellow red. Creepy. After it pass, the cars all look like they was coming from the rally Paris Dakar .
When I go out with Maiko, I was covered with red dust. My coat , hair, red dusty mess. Maiko had to take a bath because his fur was so dirty from this rain that you could see a thin film on his fur covered in red mud. (He he ignores me since this bath) .
Today we have temp 3°. Went down from 14°. Rain, fortunately no dessert sand today.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
We have signs all over the building too and in each elevator.

Most apartment buildings here don't have doormen at the door controlling entrance to the building. They may have a lobby attendant, as we do, but they are sitting behind a desk some feet away from the doors. Lobby attendants tend to function as receptionists rather than a doormen.

So, if a resident wants to go maskless, not much is done about it other than to remind them they are required to wear a mask. There really aren't any teeth to any of the mask "mandates."

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
We have the mandates and the signs. We have fines to go with them. We have no security or doorman. I live in the projects. That means unless you call a cop nothing matters. It's a free for all. Calling the cops for a mask complaint is a waste of both your time and that of the cops. Maskless fool won't be there when they arrive so they don't bother.

On the other hand I know there were calls for folk having Stupor Bowl parties. No interchanges between households allowed here. Have a party. Get busted. Found-in $750. Organizer $10k up to a mill with jail time. The fact it's 4 million degrees below zero with a wind chill on top really didn't slow anyone down.

McGyver

Energetic
Stupidity is immune to the forces of nature, particularly weather... in fact certain weather conditions embolden it.

McGyver

Energetic
At this point, the mask hanging down thing doesn’t even register with me most of the time... I see it so often it’s just a given people are wearing them wrong...
Early on I kinda just developed this attitude that everyone not in my immediate family was contaminated with radioactive zombie dust...
I created a fine filter, HEPA grade, reusable rigid face mask with replaceable filters and a comfortable, tight face seal that I and my family use outdoors and hopefully that will be sufficient until we can get vaccinated... even then, I’m not going to let my guard down.
Still, it’s amazing how pig-headed people can be...
I’ve seen quite a few near altercations between employees at stores and maskless customers... mostly that was in the spring and early summer, when to say the least, the tensions were pretty high...
I’ve even seen at least two people put a plastic bag over their head as a mask because they showed up without one... long after masks were available... in both cases I was on my way out of the store and really wanted to know how that turned out... but “not my circus, not my monkeys“ as the saying goes.

And the conversations... I think part of my life long insanity is related to the fact that I have weird hearing... I hear every sound and voice around me for quite a distance at once... being on a line with bored people is hell to me because I’m exposed to their loony conversations and phone calls and personal soliloquies... you know those movies where someone is a psychic and they are overwhelmed by everyone’s thoughts at once?... it’s kinda like that.
In my opinion, all movies and books get that scene wrong... especially when the person suddenly finds they have the ability to hear people’s thoughts for the first time...
In real life it would be like “Nooo... it’s soooo loud... so many voices... God... these f**king people are stupid... so much...dumb... Why?... How?... seriously, you... edible furniture?... A square earth?... you are ALL stupid!!”
But that’s assuming the stuff inside is slightly dumber than their words... actually I‘d wager a few bucks that plenty of people’s thoughts would just be circus music or those tunes ice cream trucks play on a loop...
But the conversations about Covid and the dumb misinformation and theories and beliefs I’ve overheard is staggering... Actually better than stuff I could make up... funnier too if it weren’t so tragically dangerous.

It’s madness and the madness is maddening.

McGyver

Energetic
This mornin’s view of the snow that fell...
D86ADC7A-5509-47E1-84CE-2B6D451C8961.jpeg

Miss B

CV-BEE
We have signs all over the building too and in each elevator.
Yes, we have signs right next to each elevator door on each floor as well.

So, if a resident wants to go maskless, not much is done about it other than to remind them they are required to wear a mask.
Yes, well I went to the supermarket one day, and didn't realize I had forgotten to put my mask on. It was sitting on my desk next to my keys, but I didn't grab it when I grabbed the keys. Did my doorman, who's been in this building for 15 years, and knows everyone who lives here, say anything? Nope, and I didn't realize it until I was half way to the store.

Luckily the store manager saw me just after I walked into the store holding my wool scarf up over my face, and he got me a mask. He just happens to have a box handy in case any of his workers forget, or damage, their masks.

Boy did I give our doorman an earful when I got back. My neighbor (and friend) down the hall was in the lobby when I returned, and also questioned him as to why he didn't say anything. He said it didn't register with him that I wasn't wearing one. He must've had a blind moment. ~shakes head~

There really aren't any teeth to any of the mask "mandates."
I agree, but what could they possibly do? Even though our local precinct is within walking distance, by the time a local police officer got here to give someone a fine, they'd be gone.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh yes. Very early on in March, I developed the attitude that everyone other than Tsuki and me were contaminated. Sadly, I'm stuck with purchased masks that aren't near enough protective for me. I'd say I can't believe the US hasn't implemented mask standards as other countries have done, but well ... the US powers that be (USTPTB) were fixated with pretending the coronavirus was just a harmless bug.

Sadly, I too suffer from that same weird hearing, which has gotten worse as I've aged because it's become even more overwhelming that it's impossible for me to make out what someone next to me is saying. That's part of the reason I am so willing to isolate (permanently) and so relieved to be able to work from home.

Let's not even talk about when people are excited or angry or just plain emotionally loud. It's bad enough to be overwhelmed by all those loony conversations, but when my own emotions start getting out of whack because of the loud emotions of those around me, it's just too much.

I so need a soundproof pod. It's too bad my company hadn't gone for soundproof pods instead of short two sided partitions smooshed together. What's the point of partitions when they neither shelter you from noise and distraction ... or nasty viral bugs swarming through the air.

The Hushwork pod would have been so cool! And you can even get a greenery wall that attaches to the outside and is covered with planting cubbies.

1612813616011.png

At this point, the mask hanging down thing doesn’t even register with me most of the time... I see it so often it’s just a given people are wearing them wrong...
Early on I kinda just developed this attitude that everyone not in my immediate family was contaminated with radioactive zombie dust...
I created a fine filter, HEPA grade, reusable rigid face mask with replaceable filters and a comfortable, tight face seal that I and my family use outdoors and hopefully that will be sufficient until we can get vaccinated... even then, I’m not going to let my guard down.
Still, it’s amazing how pig-headed people can be...
I’ve seen quite a few near altercations between employees at stores and maskless customers... mostly that was in the spring and early summer, when to say the least, the tensions were pretty high...
I’ve even seen at least two people put a plastic bag over their head as a mask because they showed up without one... long after masks were available... in both cases I was on my way out of the store and really wanted to know how that turned out... but “not my circus, not my monkeys“ as the saying goes.

And the conversations... I think part of my life long insanity is related to the fact that I have weird hearing... I hear every sound and voice around me for quite a distance at once... being on a line with bored people is hell to me because I’m exposed to their loony conversations and phone calls and personal soliloquies... you know those movies where someone is a psychic and they are overwhelmed by everyone’s thoughts at once?... it’s kinda like that.
In my opinion, all movies and books get that scene wrong... especially when the person suddenly finds they have the ability to hear people’s thoughts for the first time...
In real life it would be like “Nooo... it’s soooo loud... so many voices... God... these f**king people are stupid... so much...dumb... Why?... How?... seriously, you... edible furniture?... A square earth?... you are ALL stupid!!”
But that’s assuming the stuff inside is slightly dumber than their words... actually I‘d wager a few bucks that plenty of people’s thoughts would just be circus music or those tunes ice cream trucks play on a loop...
But the conversations about Covid and the dumb misinformation and theories and beliefs I’ve overheard is staggering... Actually better than stuff I could make up... funnier too if it weren’t so tragically dangerous.

It’s madness and the madness is maddening.

McGyver

Energetic
Oh yes. Very early on in March, I developed the attitude that everyone other than Tsuki and me were contaminated. Sadly, I'm stuck with purchased masks that aren't near enough protective for me. I'd say I can't believe the US hasn't implemented mask standards as other countries have done, but well ... the US powers that be (USTPTB) were fixated with pretending the coronavirus was just a harmless bug.

Sadly, I too suffer from that same weird hearing, which has gotten worse as I've aged because it's become even more overwhelming that it's impossible for me to make out what someone next to me is saying. That's part of the reason I am so willing to isolate (permanently) and so relieved to be able to work from home.

Let's not even talk about when people are excited or angry or just plain emotionally loud. It's bad enough to be overwhelmed by all those loony conversations, but when my own emotions start getting out of whack because of the loud emotions of those around me, it's just too much.

I so need a soundproof pod. It's too bad my company hadn't gone for soundproof pods instead of short two sided partitions smooshed together. What's the point of partitions when they neither shelter you from noise and distraction ... or nasty viral bugs swarming through the air.

The Hushwork pod would have been so cool! And you can even get a greenery wall that attaches to the outside and is covered with planting cubbies.

View attachment 67263
I still can hear people next to me separately... Including every other conversation as separate... my stupid brain has to identify and track each voice, identify the conversations and follow it... so there will be several conversations I’m aware of and tracking as someone is talking to me... there is a practical limit though, I’m not really sure how many people at once, it depends on how many other ambient sounds are present... sounds aren’t as bad on the brain... like three or four conversations in a moderately noisy situation is okay... Cheesecake Factory at dinner time can be hell... combined with the din and clatter of the restaurant the human conversation just tire me out.
I sympathize for dogs and cats... humans are noisy creatures.
A while back I was talking to a friend‘s kid who was interested in psychology about an article I’d read about certain forms of autism... a few minutes before I’d been talking about my hearing with someone else and the two conversations got me wondering if perhaps one of the puzzle pieces for certain form of autism may be hearing related... I can imagine that having the same kind of hearing we have, with some key wiring being off could create huge processing issues.
Hell, it took me years to figure out other people don’t hear stuff the way I do... I still don’t know if this is normal and everyone else is selectively deaf, or it’s a condition...
But unwillingly being privy to other’s conversations really makes you think most human beings are flat out nuts.