• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Todays Weather where you live?

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Sunday night... NIGHT...!??! the winds could come ON SHORE gusting to 20 mph....turn the fire back toward land...and ....me??? I will be glad when this damn wind trend lets up...looks like the high temps and winds may continue to mess the fire around till at least Tuesday now... It's so so scary! I am so thankful with the way I have to live, that I still have power!! (picture the boy in the bubble, sealed inside, because of no immune system). It would be sooo serious if I either had to evacuate or loose power here. :eek:

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Well, it's been a very interesting day. That one inch of predicted snow? Yeah, right now we're sitting under 12 inches of very heavy, very wet snow. Yes, it's beautiful but oh, so dangerous, especially for those of us who are simply not use to weather conditions like this. Most of the roads around here have been deemed impassable by the local sheriff. Thankfully, friends and family have all made it home safely.

The scary part for me was the tree across the street. The snow would bend the branches down just enough to touch the live electrical wire and set the tree on fire. We got a crew with the electric company out and they cut off the branches so that a burning branch didn't fall on the house below it and set it on fire.

It sure is pretty out there, though.

You folks up the east coast, be prepared. It's headed your way and it's cold, wet and heavy snow. And a LOT of it.

Last edited:

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
Thinking of all of you in SoCal- Lynne tucked up in her ' bubble', Ken who must be worried about all the birds losing their homes in the fires... I 've read that fire is an important part of the natural balance for California--- but I hate it!

Here, the roses are about ready for their big Christmas flush, Morning glories still a purple splendor, lantana still getting visited by the last butterflies of summer, cool nights and brilliant sunny days... and the usual Snowbird lament that all we 'natives' are crazy to wear coats in this kind of weather!

Terre

Renowned
"and the usual Snowbird lament that all we 'natives' are crazy to wear coats in this kind of weather!"

On the other hand if they stayed until summer they'd wonder how you can stand the heat. LOL

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yikes, Traci! Glad all your loved ones are safe. Ken & Lyne - hoping for rain and/or a slowing of those crazy winds - thinking about you!

Terre

Renowned
"It sure is pretty out there, though."

Stay warm and safe. I hope that melts off and evaporates quickly. It's bad enough when we get that much snow here (once every few years or so). People simply don't know how to drive in it. I'm one of them but at least I know it.

Mild weather here. Lows of 30F with highs in the low to mid 60s.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Tsuki is mesmerized by the falling snow! First she was upset something was going on outside that she couldn't get to. I wasn't sure at first whether it was the snow or if someone was out on their balcony. But no. It was the snow. Now she's just staring at it.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Tsuki is mesmerized by the falling snow! First she was upset something was going on outside that she couldn't get to. I wasn't sure at first whether it was the snow or if someone was out on their balcony. But no. It was the snow. Now she's just staring at it.

My oldest dog loves it, goes out and plays. The younger one though....she's saying "Nope, can't fool me, this is just white rain. Nope, call me when it quits raining." She despises rain.

Poor little thing, though is very short (basset) so her belly drags in the snow. That has to be cold!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, last night's weather report predicted it would be snowing by early morning, and we'd get anywhere between 3-6 inches, but I first woke up a little bit before 8:00am, and it was doing nothing out there. Then I checked again just before 11:00am, and it was snowing, and from what I could see on my firescape, there was maybe 1/2 inch, so it hadn't been snowing for too long.

Now I just went and checked about 1/2 hour ago, and it's about 1 1/2 inches, but from what I can see of the street (my apartment's at the back corner of the building), there's snow on the grass and foliage in front of the building across the street, and the top of the 2 cars I can see, but nothing on the street or sidewalks, so I'm not sure what kind of buildup of snow we'll have when all is said and done.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, just checked again, and it looks like it's pretty much slowing down to a light dusting, so from what I can see, we got about 2 1/2 inches, which isn't bad. Unfortunately, the weather is currently at the freezing point (32F), and will be below freezing tonight, so even with not much of an accumulation, it's going to be icy tomorrow. ~sigh~

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
OK, just checked again, and it looks like it's pretty much slowing down to a light dusting, so from what I can see, we got about 2 1/2 inches, which isn't bad. Unfortunately, the weather is currently at the freezing point (32F), and will be below freezing tonight, so even with not much of an accumulation, it's going to be icy tomorrow. ~sigh~

For us, yesterday, it did that several times - stopped, then started snowing again with a vengeance. While we still have a good bit of snow outside, temps tonight will drop into the 20s, so all of today's snow melt will become frozen puddles.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, I think this will be my last update of snowfall here, as it's getting too dark to really see what's going on outside. That said, when I looked out the window a little while ago, it was really a very, very light dusting, so I think accumulation has ceased. I then went downstairs to pick up the mail, and from street level it looks like it's stopped snowing. I'm still estimating it was between 2 and 2 1/2 inches of accumulation.

Tomorrow, after a night of below freezing temps, will be the test as to how bad it really is.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
2:45 pm Saturday ....The wind is kicking up HERE at my home, and when it's windy in "my pocket" it's bad. :( SO FAR the air is still clear but "clouds" of smoke are now spread across the sky above. There is that "false sort of dusk" lighting outside. Still no ash is falling here at my house, so that's good I'm thinking.

Listed on website I found:

Good news as the Lilac wildfire is now 20 percent contained and firefighters made significant progress all day Friday and overnight into this morning. The burn area is still 4,100 acres although the number of structures destroyed has jumped to 105 structures, up from 85.

Some 1,500 homes and structures are still threatened.

Residents of Fallbrook, Bonsall, Vista, Oceanside and Camp Pendleton are asked to stay alert. Santa Ana winds are going to start blowing again this afternoon in the area of the Lilac fire and by early Sunday, winds could be up to 40 mph in the burn area.

Santa Ana winds come roaring back At 1:55 p.m. Saturday the Santa Ana winds were surging in East County, gusting to 54 mph at Sill Hill near Descanso, 45 mph in Crestwood, 40 in Portrero and 21 mph in Alpine. The National Weather Service says the winds will snap through the foothills into the afternoon then spread out across the county. The winds are expected to hit the Lilac fire area and blow along the coast from Del Mar to Camp Pendleton. Forecasters say the winds will peak in many areas early Sunday. The relative humidity is below 15 percent across East County, adding to the wildfire danger.

Keep in mind that the red flag alert warning is still in effect until 8 p.m. Sunday.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Still very cold, windy and wet over here. Wish we could send some of it over to help you out, Lyne!

Lucy came in after spending the afternoon at her best friend Ellie's house. It took three minutes worth of removing coats, hats, gloves, scarves, sweaters, boots and socks before a cheery, red-cheeked grin told us we'd found her. I was amazed that she could move with all the stuff she was wearing! :D

Hornet3d

Wise
Snowing here since the early hours, about an inch of snow so far and the temperature is hovering around freezing. The big problem is not the depth though but the fact that the snow is the wet and clingy kind. Large tree branches are bending under the weight and power and phone lines are sagging quite a lot. I am in the south of the UK and reports are saying it is much worse a thirty or forty miles to the north. With this depth of snow there should not be a problem but people here are not used to snow and do not clear their cars properly or know how to drive. I drove for a couple of years in Sweden where it I was much worse but they are equipped to deal with it and the cars have studded tyres. Just been out to pick my wife up and, while the snow scared me, I was far more frightened of the idiots overtaking me roads covered with snow so they had no idea of what was underneath or any chance of stopping in any reasonable distance.

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Been snowing here since before I woke up, and it's set to continue for a few more hours yet (it's near noon now). We're British, so the weather can do no good. It's the most snow we've seen in years - I haven't been able to take the boy for a sleigh ride since he was a little boy being taken to school on a sleigh, much to the envy of his friends. Now - yeah, I could pull a sleigh again... but he's too heavy for me to pull and stay upright I reckon!

No major calamities around here - you can't go up certain roads or down others (safely) but if taken carefully hopefully the most we'll get out of the snow and the 80MPH gusts will be a good old moan. It's nothing like The great Storm of '87 after all!

Cheers,

Cliff