• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Todays Weather where you live?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It's not at all uncommon here for a group of people walking together to block the sidewalk. Nor do they to move aside so others can get past them. Instead you have to move out of their way. Same thing happens with groups of women pushing strollers or baby carriages. The most popular ones now are where the wee ones sit side by side instead of one behind the other. Only takes two of those and the sidewalk is blocked.
I agree, and I see a lot of these motorized skateboards. Maaaaan, I'd love to knock one of those fools off so they get the message!!

What also bugs me are the women (and men) who walk down the street texting on their cellphones. I purposely walked into one once, and she looked at me as if I was the one who was wrong. I told her to "watch where you're going next time", turned and grinned as I walked further past her.

I'm not one of those who live by their cellphones. I have a friend like that, and every time I see her, she's grabbing the damn phone out of her purse to see what's what. I do that, too, especially if I'm expecting a specific text message, BUT I move out of the foot traffic, so I'm not in anyone's way. Sheesh, it really gets on my nerves when I see these fools walking as if they own the street. ~shakes head~

I enjoy this weather. I love the rain, and after the heat of the last several days, this is delightful. The air quality is much better today than it has been, which is always a plus when it rains.
I'm the same way. High humidity during a heat wave is uncomfortable, but I get home and take a shower to cool off, and the air is "cleaner".

Unfortunately I find high humidity with low temps worse, because it goes through to my bones. Hard to suppress that no matter how many layers of clothing (or blankets) you have on, so a lot of rain today, and the next couple of days, is probably going to be a bit uncomfortable because we no longer have heat this late in the year.

eclark1894

Visionary
I agree, and I see a lot of these motorized skateboards. Maaaaan, I'd love to knock one of those fools off so they get the message!!

What also bugs me are the women (and men) who walk down the street texting on their cellphones. I purposely walked into one once, and she looked at me as if I was the one who was wrong. I told her to "watch where you're going next time", turned and grinned as I walked further past her.

Well, to be honest, if she did it it would have been an accident, you did it on purpose, so you did cause the collision. It WAS your fault. Now granted, she SHOULD have been watching where she was going, so yeah, I blame her too.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
Unfortunately I find high humidity with low temps worse, because it goes through to my bones. Hard to suppress that no matter how many layers of clothing (or blankets) you have on, so a lot of rain today, and the next couple of days, is probably going to be a bit uncomfortable because we no longer have heat this late in the year.
Tomorrow may be worse as the house cooling off quickly due to the lower temperatures outside in the common days , I run my fireplace all afternoon , the central heating is off already , agree with the humidity, I can't stand it , but have no issues with dry heat .

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh dry heat's fine. I have family in Arizona I used to visit yearly, and I loved being there in the summer, though I never sat in the sun for long periods of time, because you can really get burned no matter how much suntan lotion you used. One bad experience introduced me to aloe vera, which they always had on hand . . . just in case. Now I'm never without it in the house, again . . . just in case.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I don't have a big one , it get collapsed nicely and fit in the closet when not in use, with the bike sadly not possible keeping it in our guest room
I prefer walking outdoor above everything but I hate gyms ..
I have only Yoga equipment for at home , usuel i make every day my power walk with Maiko. 7-10 km each day. Sounds little, but up the mountains sometimes pretty much exhausting. Here the Jura is even more horrible on some areas than the Vosges where we live before.
When we lived in Paris I use to go for to play squash and kick boxing. But stopped after an accident with my ankle .
Gym is not for me. Don't like this places.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I had the urge to mow the lawn, so I had a couple of panadol and sat down till the urge passed... phew..

cold today again... getting down to 2c ( 34f ) at night and peaking around 14c ( 58f ) during the day.... :sun: :flower02:

Miss B

CV-BEE
I go for power walks as well, though I don't have a pet to keep me company. I walk from my house to the High School, which is 12 blocks, and then cross over to the other side of the street, and walk back 12 blocks. In nice weather, and if I don't have to stop for vehicular traffic at the two corners where there's traffic lights, I can make it home in 1/2 hour.

I'm not quite sure what the distance is, as I always thought 20 blocks was a mile, but read somewhere recently, that's only 20 blocks in the City (Manhattan), and the streets around here are longer than that, so maybe a mile and half? One of these days I'll have to try and find out for sure.

The only reason I like the outdoors for walks is, the scenery is so much better than looking at a wall, or the back of someone's head in the front row of treadmills. I do like all the equipment they have, so I can concentrate on different parts of the body. I have a personal trainer, so when we're having one of our workout sessions, I totally ignore everyone else there, and since the start of the Pandemic, it's been half as many people who were there all the years I was working out there before the Pandemic hit. It doesn't get all that crowded anymore.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
@Miss B
I am somehow not a Cross trainer or tread mill fan.
Had a cross trainer when we lived in Paris, but give it away after it was just collecting dust.
Yoga I love a lot. But machines, not my kind of thing.
Squash I used for anti stress. Very efficient. After one hour hitting the ball, you are really stress free.
When we moved in the Vosges, I begin to have fun in the mountain. Love to discover new hidden paths, challenge my self . -Can I climb this part without to collapse?- :cautious:
Running is nothing for me too. Just don't like it. I prefer bicycle. But to be honest, here in the Jura, less . For obvious reason :laugh:.
With Maiko hiking is a challenge enough. He is very strong and I have him mostly on his special harness with a 10 meter lash and also a harness around my hip. Sometimes he pull me pretty much forward. Hope when I know this Mountain bether, I can release him from the lash, but for now it is more safe to keep him with me. We just move here last year Nov. So this Mountains are still new to me. Way higher than the Vosges and less hiking friendly .

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You can use google maps to easily calculate the distance. Locate the start address of your walk on google maps, right click and select Measure Distance. Locate the end of the 12 blocks, and click that spot to set your end point. You can tweak the start and end points. Once you click the end point, you get a popup that gives you the total distance. Double that to get how far you walk. Or, you can click to set a new point across the street, and then click back at your start point to get your total distance.

By me, 11 blocks is 1 mile. None of the blocks are even the same size.

Between where I used to live in Center City and City Hall a mile is 23 to 24 blocks. Again, none of these blocks are the same size. Some are short, others are two to three times as long.

Back home, near where I grew up, 10 blocks is a mile. But half those blocks are square and somewhat same sized, while the other half are long rectangular blocks. Each of the rectangular blocks are aboutish 2-2/3 square blocks.

1622368795588.png

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I go for power walks as well, though I don't have a pet to keep me company. I walk from my house to the High School, which is 12 blocks, and then cross over to the other side of the street, and walk back 12 blocks. In nice weather, and if I don't have to stop for vehicular traffic at the two corners where there's traffic lights, I can make it home in 1/2 hour.

I'm not quite sure what the distance is, as I always thought 20 blocks was a mile, but read somewhere recently, that's only 20 blocks in the City (Manhattan), and the streets around here are longer than that, so maybe a mile and half? One of these days I'll have to try and find out for sure.

The only reason I like the outdoors for walks is, the scenery is so much better than looking at a wall, or the back of someone's head in the front row of treadmills. I do like all the equipment they have, so I can concentrate on different parts of the body. I have a personal trainer, so when we're having one of our workout sessions, I totally ignore everyone else there, and since the start of the Pandemic, it's been half as many people who were there all the years I was working out there before the Pandemic hit. It doesn't get all that crowded anymore.
20 blocks is 1 mile, especially North-South , my last biggest walk outdoor was 240 blocks, so around 12 miles /19.3 km .

@AnimaGemini 7-10km a day is pretty perfect for your heart and more than double if you walk up the heel . 8-9 km is ideal (5-6 miles)

Miss B

CV-BEE
You can use google maps to easily calculate the distance. Locate the start address of your walk on google maps, right click and select Measure Distance. Locate the end of the 12 blocks, and click that spot to set your end point. You can tweak the start and end points. Once you click the end point, you get a popup that gives you the total distance. Double that to get how far you walk. Or, you can click to set a new point across the street, and then click back at your start point to get your total distance.
Thanks, I'm going to check that out. Most of the 12 blocks I walk are the same size, as I used to count the steps from corner to corner when I first started walking this route, and they're pretty much the same 130, +/- a couple of steps.

Now the block from my house to the Blvd. where my supermarket is, is twice as many at 260 steps, so definitely 2 blocks long in this neighborhood. The block from the Blvd. in the other direction, where my gym, and most of the stores are, is the same 260 steps.

OK, off to see how far I walk.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Open Google map and put the start point and end of the walking trip .. it will show you exactly the distance and timing

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, my walk is 1.95 km or 1.21 miles, so roughly 1 and 1/4 miles. That's about what I thought it was, but wasn't sure.

Miss B

CV-BEE
No, that's much more than I would ever consider walking. I do these walks every day I'm not at the gym, as long as Mother Nature is considerate enough not to rain every day, which unfortunately has been happening the past couple of days, and forecast for tomorrow as well.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I make more than 1 mile at home walking back and forth all day according to my fitbit watch, but hey Miss B you do what is best for you and your needs..

My weather showing 72F and sunny for tomorrow , maybe not updated yet. next Sunday we can complain again about the heat lol ! it will get warmer , we going to take the next weekend off to spend some time in the nature as the weather maybe just perfect , my hubby working today and tomorrow anyway :(

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't have one of those watches that gives you all those statistics, though sometimes I wish I did. As far as my walking, my cardiologist said I'm doing fine when I told him about my power walks, and at my age, walking more than 1 to 1 1/2 miles a day would be overexertion. If I were still in my 40s and 50s, maybe I'd walk more, but I'm long past that now.

Besides, that was just the power walk, I do walk a bit every time I go out to run errands, so if I added all that up as well, I'm sure there would be another 1/2 mile.

My weather showing 72F and sunny for tomorrow , maybe not updated yet.
Yes, I just checked, and Monday's weather no longer says rain, and sunny in the afternoon, so that's good. :D

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Glad I could help!

Google Maps Measure Distance is easier than trying to drive a route to get the distance, given that walking routes and driving routes aren't always exactly the same. And, it's far more economical than buying a Fitbit watch or one of the alternatives.

OK, my walk is 1.95 km or 1.21 miles, so roughly 1 and 1/4 miles. That's about what I thought it was, but wasn't sure.

But then, I've never been a watch person. When I started wearing a watch I became too dependent on checking the time. Once I stopped wearing a watch again, I was again able to rely on my natural sense of time.

Fortunately, I don't find a smart phone to be as intrusive. When I'm working from home, I keep my smart phone next to my computer since I get a lot of calls from my teammate. But once my work day is over, it goes on the charging stand, where it's out of sight, out of mind.

Technology has improved our lives in so many ways and has made many tedious chores so much easier. But, sometimes, technology gets in the way more than it helps.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I referring to a walking routes not driving .., measure distance is good but not giving you time
I use my Fitbit statistics when I get to my doctor , he know exactly what is going on as it monitoring everything from BMI to Cardio Fitness and Resting Heart Rate, it is also very helpful to control your exercise level and intensity to not give yourself a heart attack lol, I use it for couple years now, I know exactly when to cut on salt ..so to speak and when to have a break , the best money I ever spent on a watch , and I am not really a watch person , I barely check the time but more my Cardio statistics every morning so I know when to cut on the salt lol