• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Todays Weather where you live?

Hornet3d

Wise
Well it has been raining since we got up and now it is that persistent drizzle that gets you very wet in every nook and cranny. Not that it is a big problem for us today as we had nothing planned. Bigger problem for the dog as he hates water and rain and refuses to go out in the rain and believe me, when a 25Kg Lurcher puts his paws down you are not going very far. I remember last year when I took him for a walk it poured with rain before we got to the end of the street, he just stopped and refused to move until I started heading back to the house at which point he trotted by my side with the air of a every contented dog.

Terre

Renowned
We had a good amount of rain. The street in front of the house is still flooded enough that only the middle third is above water and will be for hours yet. There will be several streets that have been blocked due to much worse flooding but I don't need to go anywhere so I'm fine.

Hornet3d

Wise
We had a good amount of rain. The street in front of the house is still flooded enough that only the middle third is above water and will be for hours yet. There will be several streets that have been blocked due to much worse flooding but I don't need to go anywhere so I'm fine.

Some years ago we returned from two weeks away to find the lower floor of our house flooded due to a leak from a water pipe inside the house (guess who forgot to turn off the water). I our case it was clean water but I still remember the devastation, heartbreak and aggravation it caused and it was many months before we were back anywhere near close to normal. This was nothing compared with floods that I have seen in news reports recently and my heart really goes out to anyone who has has had their house flooded or indeed have lost their home.

theschell

Brilliant
Well it has been raining since we got up and now it is that persistent drizzle that gets you very wet in every nook and cranny. Not that it is a big problem for us today as we had nothing planned. Bigger problem for the dog as he hates water and rain and refuses to go out in the rain and believe me, when a 25Kg Lurcher puts his paws down you are not going very far. I remember last year when I took him for a walk it poured with rain before we got to the end of the street, he just stopped and refused to move until I started heading back to the house at which point he trotted by my side with the air of a every contented dog.

And here I thought my dog was the only one like that... He'd rather act miserable and unloved, while he clenches his little puppy butt rather than go out when it's raining. I have a theory that mine believes bum-eating squirrels come out of the ground when it rains and he's afraid they'll attack him if he goes when it's wet out... lmao!

Terre

Renowned
I do too. There's been some really bad flooding not too many hundred miles south east of here. Houston Texas is the closest spot.
Some years ago we returned from two weeks away to find the lower floor of our house flooded due to a leak from a water pipe inside the house (guess who forgot to turn off the water). I our case it was clean water but I still remember the devastation, heartbreak and aggravation it caused and it was many months before we were back anywhere near close to normal. This was nothing compared with floods that I have seen in news reports recently and my heart really goes out to anyone who has has had their house flooded or indeed have lost their home.
We haven't had quite enough rain at any one time in the 30 years I've been in this town to actually cause what you're thinking of. We DID come one rain short of that about 25 years ago. The weather people warned the town that the ground was completely saturated and it WOULD flood it the rains didn't stop. Fortunately they did.
The problem here is nowhere for the water to drain so normal weather causes the streets to fill up with water which takes several hours to drain away.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Stay safe Stezza and Terre...

Lovely, bright and sunny morning here.

And here I thought my dog was the only one like that... He'd rather act miserable and unloved, while he clenches his little puppy butt rather than go out when it's raining. I have a theory that mine believes bum-eating squirrels come out of the ground when it rains and he's afraid they'll attack him if he goes when it's wet out... lmao!
Both our dogs hate going outside when it's raining but both are around 14-15 years old.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
This is sooo cool. Perhaps the US should do the same thing :wink:

English town enlists beavers to prevent floods
Sometimes dam-building rodents make the best neighbors.

In 2012, the center of Lydbrook, a village skirting the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, England, was deluged with several feet of water. The flash flooding, unleashed by torrential rainfall across the region, sparked a mandatory evacuation and left badly damaged homes and businesses in its wake.

This wasn’t the first time this bucolic burg has been devastated by rapidly rising waters. Nestled between the River Wye and one of its tributaries, the flood-prone Greathough Brook, Lydbrook and surrounding parishes in the Wye Valley have long been vulnerable to inundation. In 2015, villagers collectively breathed a sigh of relief when it was announced that a section of an aging culvert meant to tame the flow of water through the village would be replaced as part of a flood defense overhaul costing 290,000 pounds (nearly $400,000).

Now, two years later, the Forestry Commission has decided to bring in the big guns to further prevent flooding: beavers.

Terre

Renowned
More rain. At least I won't have to drive around the parts of town where they have to block the roads when we get rain. I will be right next to one such place tomorrow though. The way east from the intersection the store is beside is one of the roads that becomes a river with any heavy rain as all the water flows that way on it's way out of town. There are culverts on the east edge of town to help get rid of the water but they are about a half mile from the store. When they did a lot of work on the streets last year a lot of them were re-done with raised centers to help channel water and yet leave a dryer area for traffic to travel on. I guess they are now seeing if that theory helped.

theschell

Brilliant
Stay safe Stezza and Terre...

Lovely, bright and sunny morning here.

Both our dogs hate going outside when it's raining but both are around 14-15 years old.

My pup is 10 this fall... but he's been like this since he was just a puppy, he absolutely hates getting wet, which is funny because he's a mixed Black Lab/Shepherd and has the webbed toes and double layered coat from the lab that mark him as a water breed. My 4-legged work partner was like that too, hated getting wet, but once he was in the water you couldn't get him back out... not so with my current pup! Lol

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol...our dogs have been the same. I still remember when we took them to the beach and one chased seagulls and got in the water he ran in the over direction so quickly...

theschell

Brilliant
On the other hand, I had one dog... a mixed Shepherd/Coyote (a wild coyote had gotten at a farmers dog at some point) that I'd wound up adopting after she was abandoned at a leash-free park by her owners when she was about 10 or 11 months old. Smart as a whip and loved the water, couldn't keep her out of it. The vet confirmed that she was a coyote mix, but marked her officially as a Shepherd/Husky cross as she was very sweet tempered and well behaved and he didn't want to have to put her down despite wild animal mixes being illegal here without a special license...

I remember one night I was walking her in a local park that had a duck pond. She sneaked over to the edge of the pond on her belly and then slipped real quiet into the water. She had on one of those waterproof collar lights so I could keep track of her at night off her leash, and I remember the silly pup wading along the bottom of the pond with only the tip of her nose out of the water... only way I could see where she was, was because of the glow of that light just below the surface. She got to about 3 feet from the ducks in the pond, then launched from the bottom like a Polaris missile! Luckily the ducks all got away, but I'm fairly certain most of them had heart attacks in the process... lol!

theschell

Brilliant
I swear she thought she was a submarine!

She was a great dog... smart as heck, took to obedience training in a snap and knew whistle, hand signal and voice commands and responded to them without hesitation! Sadly I had to give her up, I was moving and in between jobs at the time, and the apartment I was moving to was too small for us... it wouldn't have been fair to the pup to have kept her in a small place with no parks near by to take her to. I had a buddy that lived in a nice place with lots of private yard space and he adopted her from me... It was about 4 years or so after that when I got my current pup, once I had a place big enough for a dog to have room and space to play. :)

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I can remember back when I was in High School (many decades ago), and one of my best friends had to give up her Collie because he had gotten too big for apartment living. It nearly broke her heart, but luckily her folks found a very nice family with a fair amount of acreage that he could play in.

theschell

Brilliant
I'm in a nice apartment that's quite large now on a dead-end and with a large park at the turn-around end of the street. The building I'm in is a 3 story building with 7 units (2 on each floor and 1 in the basement) that run the full length and half the width of the building. We have a shared back-yard, but the landlord doesn't mind if I have the pup out off-leash as long as I'm out there with him, and with the park up the street and a forest hiking trail near by, there are lots of places for me to take him...

Terre

Renowned
TWC says projected high of 62 today with a 100% chance of rain, mostly in the morning. It's been thundering now and then all night and the map shows us in the middle of a batch of clouds so that sounds reasonable.

Terre

Renowned
I'm in a nice apartment that's quite large now on a dead-end and with a large park at the turn-around end of the street. The building I'm in is a 3 story building with 7 units (2 on each floor and 1 in the basement) that run the full length and half the width of the building. We have a shared back-yard, but the landlord doesn't mind if I have the pup out off-leash as long as I'm out there with him, and with the park up the street and a forest hiking trail near by, there are lots of places for me to take him...
Glad you found a place you can have a furry companion.
As far as the other pup, I had a friend years ago with a male Chow-coyote mix. He was quite a nice dog as well. Part of the reason for regs against wild animal mixes is that domestic dogs and wild canids actually have some psychological differences and with a mix you never know ahead of time what aspects of each will be present in the personality of the mix. You and my friend both got dogs on the "good" end of the behavior spectrum. At the other end are animals that are really only useful as fence dogs. One danger with wolves (and wolf mixes) is that in order to remain in charge you must remain strong. If you show a sign of physical weakness due to simple age it is quite likely the pet will try to oust you as Alpha and never be someone you can trust again no matter how well behaved they were up to that point. I don't know if the same applies to coyotes or not.