1. We are upgrading to a 2.0 version of our forum as this 1.5 version is no longer supported. Please look at your bookmarks if you have them and note them in a text document as the import process for bookmarks may not work correctly. We will have bookmarks in the 2.0 version so you will be able to recreate whatever may be lost in the upgrade. Everything else appears to have come across fine in our initial tests. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

This Ain't Rocket Science...WIP thread

Discussion in 'Show Me The Honey' started by David, Mar 22, 2016.

1. David

David Adventurous Contributing Artist

Here are some views of the new handlebar design. I like this one better.

ScreenHunter_318 Mar. 16 00.14.jpg ScreenHunter_319 Mar. 16 00.15.jpg ScreenHunter_320 Mar. 16 00.15.jpg

And one for scale. I think I got it right. If you spot anything wrong, please let me know.

ScreenHunter_317 Mar. 16 00.13.jpg

2. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Ohhh, I have to agree David. I'm liking the new handlebar design much better.

3. 3wComics

3wComics Brilliant Contributing Artist

New handlebars are much better, I agree. Scale--hmm, to me it looks maybe a tad small, but I think it's a matter of opinion. If you wanted to give the impression that it's a powerful bike, might want to make it a little bigger? Otherwise it looks like a cool little scooter. :)

4. David

No pictures to show yet, but it looks like uvmapping is going to work out just fine. That was a major problem with the first design, so I'm a happy camper. )

Dakorillon (IMArts) likes this.
  5. David

Still no pictures, but I am really pleased with how the uvmapping worked out. I need to get mat zones laid out and move on to rigging. I've never rigged a figure before that wasn't for a person, so this will be another one of those learning experiences I wish I'd quit having. :)

Rae134 likes this.
  6. David

Finally figured out how to rig a motorcycle. :) Then I found out I had a small problem with the model that I need to address, so I need to take a couple of steps back. :( No worries, though. Shouldn't be long now.

Rae134 likes this.
  7. David

OK, I've got a question for the bikers here. I've finished (I hope) rigging the motorcycle. I need to know if I've got an OK angle for the bike when the kickstand is down. Here are some pics.

kickstand test 1.jpg kickstand test 2.jpg kickstand test 3.jpg

Everything else seems OK to me. The wheels turn, the handlebars turn the front wheel, etc. As you can see, I've still got some texturing to do. :)

Dakorillon (IMArts) and Pendraia like this.
  8. Rae134

Rae134 Renowned CV-BEE Contributing Artist

looks doable, but I'd personally like to see a little more lean on the bike (this looks like it would tip over too easy if it was bumped)

Dakorillon (IMArts) likes this.
  9. David

Thanks. I wasn't sure. Easy fix. :)

Rae134 likes this.
  10. David

Well, the kickstand is taken care of. I think I've gotten the rigging right (at least everything appears to work as it should). Here's a capture from 3dCoat. It's really just a rough texture test, but I just had to see what it would look like with some half way decent materials.

ScreenHunter_323 Mar. 30 01.02.jpg

3dCoat doesn't seem to like all the material zones I put on this thing (there are a lot). They really seem to bog 3dCoat down. I may end up doing the painting in photoshop and just use 3dCoat for the normal and spec maps. We'll see.

11. Miss B

That's looking pretty good David. :)

David likes this.
  12. David

I have actually been working on the motorcycle...really. I use 3dCoat for a lot of the texturing of my models. The version I was using kept crashing on me. I updated to the newest version and all is well. :). I managed to get a first texture set for the motorcycle which I've christened 'Sport Moto'. I have no clue why. It just sounded like it should be called that. I did find a few issues that I need to correct. I need to change some of the material zones I'd set up already. I also need to give the control panel (you can't see it in the render below, sorry, but it's not worth seeing right now) some more attention.

Anyway, here's a 3dCoat render of the finished first texture set for Sport Moto. If this one works out in Poser, then creating a few more should be fairly simple (knock on wood).

ScreenHunter_328 Apr. 05 01.25.jpg

13. Miss B

Ohhhhh that's so cooooool. :)

14. Hornet3d

Hornet3d Distinguished

Very different model but very nice. The texture looks good, I hope it works out in Poser.

Dakorillon (IMArts) and David like this.
  15. David

Here's a Poser Superfly render with the new texture set. There is one issue at the back of the engine housing where it looks like the model and the texture map don't match up. Not sure what happened there. Besides that the set looks pretty good (to me). I may add a couple of small tweaks but nothing major. I'm not real happy with the control panel. After I figure out what happened at the back of the engine, I plan to create five texture sets in all along with a few basic poses for the motorcycle and Dawn.

ScreenHunter_328 Apr. 06 01.20.jpg

16. Miss B

It renders very nicely in Poser. I can't wait to see what other textures you come up with. :)

David likes this.
  17. David

OK. Here's what I've come up with for texture sets for the motorcycle. These are rendered in Superfly. I still need to tweak the materials for use in Firefly.

Dream.jpg Red Heart.jpg SciFi Midnight.jpg Tech.jpg White Knight.jpg

18. Miss B

Ohhhh, loving the red one David. ;)

David likes this.
  19. quietrob

quietrob Extraordinary

Dakorillon (IMArts) and David like this.
  20. David

These are the Firefly materials.

Dream.jpg Red Heart.jpg SciFi Midnight.jpg Tech.jpg White Knight.jpg

They aren't exact matches, but they're as close as I can get.

Bonnie2001, Me195, Miss B and 4 others like this.