• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Wolf's Den... Outside of 3D

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The things I get up to outside of 3D.. I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating I suppose - my brain just never really stops or turns off. I have to have music playing just to be able to sleep, actually. I basically never stop. I have a hard time just forcing myself to sit down long enough to eat, and am very prone to eating on my feet. It drives my much calmer, much more sedentary Bear absolutely crazy sometimes, I admit.

So, these are some of the things I do to keep my brain busy enough that I can function, and to keep my hands busy when I need to try and stay in one place for more than thirty seconds. The images are all inserted as thumbnails since there's so many photos here. I didn't want to overload the post...

The first two - a blanket that I made for my Bear as a Father's Day gift. He is always cold, he's just not built for anything under 70 degrees. He sleeps with this thing on him even in the middle of the summer!

And the black item was a case I made for his bible - also a gift, though that time it was his birthday. He's a staunch Orthodox Christian, and well... he spent months grumbling that he couldn't find a carry case with the Orthodox cross on it. So... I made him one. The main case was six pieces, the cross was four pieces, then the button.

14.jpg 16.jpg
49.jpg 52.jpg

And because I'm fed up with the constant buying of paper towels in the kitchen... this is one of a set of eight kitchen towels. I cannot use a sewing machine, and I'm sure my seams and needlework would probably annoy a seamstress no end, but it works for me. I do everything by hand, and while it's not very pretty, I've never had any of my seams split or come apart!

33.jpg 35.jpg
37.jpg 36.jpg

And then this was a blanket I made while I was still carrying my daughter. I made it specifically as a baby blanket. She's going to be 18 this November, so the blanket is a few months older than she is. And she still has it, and still sleeps with it. She won't go anywhere without it. After all these years, the only damage to it is a missing ribbon (there used to be a white ribbon run through the edge), and a couple spots where some of the edge stitches have ripped out.

I don't know how she's managed to do it, but each spot where there's damage, she's managed to do it in such a way that it knotted itself off and is not continuing to unravel. Not too bad for an almost-20 year old blanket, I'd say. ;)

60.jpg 64.jpg

I do not knit. There's only two things I can do with knitting needles : drop stitches and stab people. LOL.
I do all the yarn work with a crochet hook... yes, there is a difference! :roflmao:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
These are just a couple examples of jewelry. The first one is a coyote claw necklace that my daughter begged me to make. She now refuses to wear it, but has it hanging on her wall instead. She's still afraid of it breaking or getting lost, I think. She won't let anyone touch it on the wall, but I've only seen her actually wear it once or twice. LOL

1.jpg

This second item was a necklace and earrings set... glass beads, pewter key charms... they are kind of heavy for wearing, but the set did manage to sell at the market. I did not make the earring wires or the black chord, though I did all the other work. There's wire wrapping involved in connecting the beads together and with the jump rings, etc. I actually wasn't sure if this set would sell because of the weight of the earrings. But it was one of the first things that sold off the table that year.

2.jpg

And this was a scarf I made for our next door neighbor's wife. She's a NZ national, and finds the upstate NY winters a tad too chilly for her tastes. She asked me if I would make her one of these... I basically handed her my yarn bag and told her to pick two colors, and these are the colors she chose. She's taken to using it even during the mid-Autumn and early Spring. I guess she finds out spring and autumn a bit chilly, too. :D

66.jpg

And this was a single wrist cuff/warmer that I made, again at request. My girl, as I've mentioned before, has high-functioning Autism. She has what used to be called Asperger's Syndrome. Which.. basically means that she looks and sounds completely normal to most people, unless they know what Autism is and how it manifests at various points of the spectrum.

Anyway - she has some sensory issues. Lots of nibbling/chewing, she's a very heavy chewer... and she has this thing where she always has to have something on her left wrist. ONLY her left, apparently. I lost count of the number of rubberbands and twist ties and other things that I had to take from her because they were just too tight for her skin and were threatening to cut off the circulation.

So we compromised on this. She got to pick the yarn and colors that she liked the look and feel of... and I made this for her to wear. Which... she did, and still does. I couldn't even get it away from her long enough to run it through the wash, LOL... nowadays I can just growl at her to wash it with her own stuff, and she will. But it's definitely showing it's age; it's no longer white like this, and the inside of it is completely flat from all the wearing. But it keeps her from wrapping the wrong things around her wrist, and gives her something to fidget with when she needs to as well.

45.jpg

And... this is just a trivet/hot pad for putting hot pots onto. Yes, it is actually thick enough to do the job. I've never had a pot burn through to the table on it yet...

53.jpg

Come to think of it, I honestly can't remember the last time we've actually bought trivets, pot holders, dish towels, or wash cloths... I usually just make what we need. Same goes for laundry soap, too. It's been at least three years since we've bought any commercial laundry soap... I make my own. Quite a few items fall under that category for us, I guess. No one ever accused us of being normal! :p

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And, as I mentioned before over in the product thread, I've been working on a bunch of yarn crafts for the pipeline protesters out in North Dakota, as well. At the moment, that's about the only things I am doing in regards to the crochet and yarn crafts. Pretty much everything I make right now is getting boxed up and mailed out to Standing Rock.

My girl surprised me as well on this; she jumped right on board with it as soon as she found out they were planning to stay camped out on-site through the winter. Regardless of what anyone thinks or doesn't think about the issue on hand, I know what the winters get to be like out there, and they do have elders and children in addition to the folks standing on the front lines. Frostbite and hypothermia will be a real concern. So we've just been making all sorts of winter stuff, as much and as quickly as we can. This is why my 3D has slowed down a bit lately. I am still working on the 3D stuff, but the bulk of my energy is going into this at the moment... and pretty much anything I happen to earn through 3D is also getting donated to them for legal fees and material supplies as well.

These were the contents of the first box...

79.jpg 83.jpg
82.jpg 89.jpg 91.jpg
90.jpg 93.jpg

And these are part of what's going into the second box. We're still filling up the second one, but it's getting there. This box will probably get mailed out in a couple of days. My heart-sister has also donated two triangular shawls that she made, so I'll be mailing those out along with anything we make ourselves.

The scrunchies are just sort of a "fun" thing to include. As I mentioned, they do have kids out there also. They've got enough on the site at this point that they've actually set up a school at the camps, and well... I was experimenting with the hair ties, and liked how they came out... so we're tossing them in as just something fun for the girls or women who like them. They were really easy and quick to make.. only about 15 minutes a piece; I just worked the yarn over the black hair rubber bands.

106.jpg 100.jpg 103.jpg 108.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
WOW you've definitely been busy. I like everything I see here, and what a novel idea with those scrunchies. I never would've thought about crocheting something like that. Then again, it's been years since my hair's been long enough to use one.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah, I can't stop. LOL. Doesn't matter what it is, or what time of year, I've always got something going. Drives my Bear absolutely crazy!

The scrunchies I think will see use. Long hair is common out there. My own hair goes to my hips, and so does my daughter's. But mine is thick enough that I make MUCH thicker scrunchies for myself. Here's one that I made months ago for my own use :

101-b.jpg

Anything smaller than this, and my hair will break it. As in the yarn will rip apart in the process of being stretched around my hair. :laugh: I used a much thicker yarn on this one, as well. The scrunchies in the last post were done with thinner, more decorative (glittery) yarn. I wouldn't be caught dead in glitter, though... I prefer earth tones. ;)

Miss B

CV-BEE
My hair was thicker before menopause, but not so thick it would break a scrunchie. Now-a-days, something like yours would probably fall off no matter how many times I wound it around my hair, if it were long enough. Middle of my back was about as long as it's ever been. The past few years I've cut it the beginning of summer so I didn't have all the hair on my neck and back, as it always made me too hot when outdoors. I let it grow out through the winter, and it doesn't seem to get much past my shoulders, but that's OK. It's easier to manage shorter. ;)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Mine is easier to manage when longer. My little 1/4 percentage of Italian blood is just enough to make the curls impossible to control at anything shorter than the middle of my back. I actually depend on the weight at this long length to help pull the curls out... and I often end up straightening it with a straightening iron. If I don't do that, well... think Merida from that Disney movie... Brave, I think it was? The orange mop of frizzy curls? Yeah, that's me, except in black unless I go nuts to try and tame it. Or if I'm foolish enough to put a brush through it while it's dry! POOF! :rofl:

Miss B

CV-BEE
:rofl: For me it was quite the opposite. I had to perm my long hair to give it any semblance of order. It was always so thick, dry, dull and frizzy. I have to say, that's one good thing about menopause . . . it tamed my hair. :lol:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Cool Seliah...I used to do a lot of sewing, knitting, crocheting and quiltmaking now I knit occasionally and do some sewing mainly adjusting stuff these days. I really should get more down as I have a sewing room full of materials that needs to be used. I used to teach needle turn applique at a local patchwork shop before training as a teacher.

I fully understand what you mean about a busy brain...

Miss B

CV-BEE
I haven't done any sewing or craft work in years. I wasn't the sewer my mother was, but I made a few things over the years.

Mostly I did knitting, crocheting, macrame and needlepoint, but once the CTS got really acute, I gave up most of those.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Cool Seliah...I used to do a lot of sewing, knitting, crocheting and quiltmaking now I knit occasionally and do some sewing mainly adjusting stuff these days.

I have to say, quilting is definitely not something I was ever taught, or could get a handle on. It's a gorgeous art form, but wow, I do not have the patience for it. LOL :D

I haven't done any sewing or craft work in years. I wasn't the sewer my mother was, but I made a few things over the years.

Mostly I did knitting, crocheting, macrame and needlepoint, but once the CTS got really acute, I gave up most of those.

I've never done a lot with sewing really. I've only started trying to self-teach the last couple of years because my Bear, quite frankly, can't fit into a stock shirt OR pants off the shelf. If the shirt fits his shoulders or chest, he's swimming in the rest of the garment. And if the pants fit his inseam, waist, and hips.. then they are too narrow for his thighs. The joys of being a carpenter. ROFL So he basically needs custom made stuff... which is expensive to pay someone to do... so the next best thing is... learn how to do it myself. :p

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And this was last night. Copilot decided that it was time for me to take a break on this shawl, I guess. I went to refill my coffee, came back and found this.

Copilot is 13 years old, almost 14. He's an old man kitty. I didn't have the heart to make him move. I worked on other stuff instead for a while. :roflmao:

Copilot 01.jpg Copilot 02.jpg Copilot 03.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol...often the case Miss B. I learnt to sew when I was little making clothes for all my dolls. My first attempt at making clothing for people was when we got given some old clothes to use for dress ups and my friend and I cut them up to change them into what we wanted. I think I was 11 at the time.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm still working on the yarn crafts/crochet, in between 3D and other real-life stuff. If I'm sitting down, I've got a crochet hook in my hand. I can't quite settle enough to actually sit still or relax. This is a normal phase for me, it's just that this time around the effect is a little bit stronger than normal. I'm not bipolar/manic depressive or anything like that, but I am a very acute ADHD, un-medicated, so sometimes I just get too antsy to do much other than go with it. That's where having so many different types of crafts to keep my hands busy comes in helpful. It keeps me sane. LOL

Anyway... a few more things. These all went out in the recent box that we shipped off to camp, along with some stuff that I was remiss in getting photographs of.

109.jpg 110.jpg 111.jpg 113.jpg
112.jpg 114.jpg
115.jpg 116.jpg

The two shawls, and the purple hat are actually my heart-sister's work. She had made the shawls for herself, but ended up not wearing them much, and offered to donate them to my last box that was sent out to camp. The purple hat and scarf set she made to donate in a single afternoon while she was over here for a mommy break to get away from the kids. LOL So those three items are actually her work and not mine.

The rest are all mine, though I still think of everything, mittens and gloves are the most fiddly to make just because of the thumbs and fingers. :) The blue/white scarf actually has a lot of stretch room in it - it will stretch to almost twice that width if needed. The brown scarf I used two skeins of yarn at the same time to make my own variegated color, and it's actually a lot warmer than it looks. My poor Bear has gotten used to being used as a window mannequin so that i can check men's sizes... LOL. One of these days I"ll note down the measurements or something, but it's too much fun to make him stand still and put things on him that he would normally not be caught dead in, I have to admit.

The last two pictures - the scarf and the blue hat - I did those with a different kind of yarnn. The scarf is actually just a single skein of yarn (it used the ENTIRE skein), and the hat is about half the skein of yarn. It's a more fluffy homespun style of yarn, but it works up fast and is pretty warm.

Alrighty. I'm heading back off again. Schedule says it's 3D time, so I have to stop playing with the yarn now. :)