• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Man Of Steel Build Thread

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Is the gold toned down, or does it just look that way because he's turned slightly to his left, so the sun isn't shining directly on his chest?

Either way, I'm liking it. ;)

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I took a closer look at the suit and decided to take that out of there. I may still redo the piping. It's not quite right. More on that later. I am going to start on the boots.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Is the gold toned down, or does it just look that way because he's turned slightly to his left, so the sun isn't shining directly on his chest?

Either way, I'm liking it. ;)
I believe he was talking about all the gold I had inlaid in the piping before. I took all of that out. The gold that is left has been toned down. I used the PhysicalSurface shader, and set the metallic to .4

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ahhhh, yes, I now see you did remove a lot of it, and I'm liking that better.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I am playing with one of the boots right now. Render coming...

I am still going to redo that piping...

quietrob

Extraordinary
You might make both versions. Dress Armor, just like we had Army Whites back in the day. One with gold and one with the subdued piping.

It does look better with the subdued piping. The colors pop and shine and look just as good or better than the suit in the MOS movie. Nolan muted the colors. It's much better with the colors unmuted.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
You might make both versions. Dress Armor, just like we had Army Whites back in the day. One with gold and one with the subdued piping.

It does look better with the subdued piping. The colors pop and shine and look just as good or better than the suit in the MOS movie. Nolan muted the colors. It's much better with the colors unmuted.
There are YouTube videos and all sorts of images on the web of people 'colorizing' the movie and images of him in the suit because they didn't like the subdued colors.

Speaking of which:

boot.png

A render with both boots on the suit is in progress...

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I really need to redo the piping. Especially now. Most of you will look at this render and think, "looks nice"; but there is that one person who will look at it and go "Dude, the stripe that runs down the leg is backward. It should go from the front to the back of the knee, not back to the front". And he's right. So I will just redo it all since I am not happy with it anyhow...

MOS Full suit.png

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I tweaked the boots. I am going to start on the piping now. I can't look at the suit because the errors are screaming at me.

But I'll let you look at one more render...

MOS.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hmmmm, except, it matches the width of the buckle, unless you're willing to make that narrower as well.

Just a thought.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I am going to leave it like this. I could probably tweak this thing for days and never be happy with it.

MOS remodel2.png

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Thanks. First thing I want to do it render it in a couple different lightning situations to see how it's going to look. Then I will start rigging it. I can only work for an hour or so at a time right now. My poor old laptop overheats and quits working on me. I really need to see if I can get a new one very soon.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Anyone familiar with rigging and in possession of M4 give me a PM. The rigging is killing me. I have the same issues with V4. I don't know what it is about those figures that is so hard for me.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
If they had take the time to make sure her mapping was more accurate, she'd make a great doll for 2nd skin outfits. While I was offline and taking a break from this suit, I got bored and decided to play around with 2nd skinning. Since the G2 (not DAZ, Poser) figures have an all in one map for the body and not a torso, arms and legs in separate pieces, they are the easiest to use. But there are some issues with the mapping, as you can see if you look hard enough. I think it was another reason they gave up trying to update her. This is Sydney G2, by the way.
Syd Spider Girl.jpg

I had done some web shooters for her, but they were a one or two minute quickie that didn't look right. You can see under her arms where the maps don't line up right. There are other issues on her back. Too bad, she can be really cute if you put some work into her.