• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Man Of Steel Build Thread

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I decided to stop taking up space in the other thread and start this one here. Since I am not creating this suit for Dusk (yet), I wanted to post in the meadow so I wouldn't violate any usage terms. I hope this is alright...

So anyway, I am going to put my latest image in here, even though it's already in that other thread, and then work from there.

I decided to take the plunge into ZBrush once again and I am downloading a 45 day trial version. I hope to get some use out of it before I go back to work, since once I do I will lose internet access and therefore not be able to use the trial version since it clearly states that I have to be connected to use it. Wish me luck.

physicalsurface2.png

I am fairly pleased with this render, but I am going to try Bonnie's suggestion and model the emblem as a separate piece. I had done that with the MOS suit I made for Tyler, but it didn't look quite right. Blender's Shrinkwrap utility is pretty good, but not a perfect solution for the emblem. It takes a lot of work to fix it once it is on the suit, as the utility takes no account of topology or make any attempt to keep the geometry in place when it shrinks the mesh down. It works great for body suits. I used it on this suit for M4. But not for the emblem. I am hoping I can get a handle on ZBrush's utilities and make it work.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Once I get the emblem done and in place, I'll continue with the torso piping. I've downloaded several reference images to make sure I get it right. Past attempts were passable, but not exactly like the suit, and I want this perfect.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I am going to attempt to do some Firefly materials and see where that gets me. Actually, if seachnasaigh is successful with what he is doing, it should be both Firefly and Superfly compatible...

Rokket

Dances with Bees
How come you don't notice something until you wasted 2 hours of your life doing a render? The piping wasn't making contact with the suit around the bottom. I've fixed that. More later.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
but I am going to try Bonnie's suggestion and model the emblem as a separate piece.

There's a couple of ways in ZBrush to do that. Matchmaker brush is one as I mentioned. The other way is to use Matchmaker with the new 3D Text and Booleans. You could import an STL of the emblem into the 3D Text, then Boolean subtract it into the emblem backplate It's a bit longer than just using Matchmaker alone, but would give you a very nice low poly object. Then, use Matchmaker to blend the plate to the chest.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
But cousin, mine is a cheat. I used the PhysicalSurface shader node and bumped up the metal node. I can only use it in Superfly. At least yours can be used in both. I'll copy it and see if I can get it to match what I did...

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Yes, I know, I used ZBrush daily but not heard of that brush! ;)
Ah, I am assuming it's something new myself. I just downloaded the demo, and I am hoping to pick up on it fairly fast. The UI is a bit confusing, as far as how to customize it to get rid of all the clutter. Once I get that, the rest should fall into place.

Bonnie posted a video in "I Just Wanted To Post An Image Thread" that explains how it works. It's basically like Blender's Shrinkwrap utility, only it works a little better in that it doesn't distort the mesh you are trying to match.

Last edited:

Rokket

Dances with Bees
physicalsurface.png

Well, the torso is finished. But I do have to do some adjustments AGAIN, to the center piping. It's still sticking out from the suit...
I don't know, maybe it was the lighting, but the belt and buckle look washed out. I need to take a hard look at that too.

Progress made, but still some stuff to fix. I think I'll give my eyes a rest and play with ZBrush some more. I really need to learn how to use it in the time I have. Maybe I can get the piping to fit better if I can get that Match Maker to work...

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
But cousin, mine is a cheat. I used the PhysicalSurface shader node and bumped up the metal node. I can only use it in Superfly. At least yours can be used in both. I'll copy it and see if I can get it to match what I did...

When you get more into the ZBrush trial, you will be able to make that suit surface on the geometry with the Noisemaker plugin. Then you can make a Normal map and use it in any renderer. Dead easy to do.