• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Goblin Figure WIP

tate

Eager
Contributing Artist
I loved this figure when I saw him in your other thread. He really is quite gorgeous...I do have a couple of questions though.

1. Looking at the image with the grey and white squares I notice that the arms seem to have a larger check and I was wondering why they are at a different scale to the rest of the body? I noticed the face was also but I know that with faces this is often common to allow for more detailing on the face.

2. My last question is what type of rigging are you using? Is he going to be Poser only? I know that with Creepy Kid Too that you also provided a file with legacy rigging so it could be used in both programs. Knowing how much work that is to do I wouldn't assume that can be kept up with every figure.

If a DS version is available he would be an instant buy...even without I still might pick him up and try to convert him myself. I think I like playing with stuff like that more than rendering these days...

1: The way the UV was pelted made the arms slightly smaller on the UV. I tried to relax it as much as I could but it is still slightly smaller than the legs and torso. It is only slightly but, there is a difference. The face mapping was made bigger to add more detail to the face. The only thing that really bugs me on this UV Map is the darn ears. Everything else is within a reasonable range but, there was a slight stretch on the ears that I can seem to fix and, it drives me crazy. ;)

2: I'm probably going to do what I did with "Creepy Kid" by creating a Poser 9+ version with Poser's weight mapping then, create a basic version to use in DS and older versions of Poser. I am playing with the idea of doing the legacy rig! Still have not decided.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Interesting...what did you uv it in? I thought that they would be the same scale unless you changed the size but I use UV Layout. Stretching is really annoying and one of the reasons I use UV Layout as it has some really good tools for dealing with stretching. It's so frustrating when that happens...
I look forward to seeing what you do with it. I totally understand if you just do the weight mapping in Poser...rigging a figure is a lot of work.

tate

Eager
Contributing Artist
I use "MakeUV" plugin for Lightwave's Modeler. It does a decent job for the most part. Sometimes I have to tweak it a bit in Modo.

tate

Eager
Contributing Artist
UV in Lightwave. Looking at it now I should have made the arms slightly bigger on the UV map. Doh!

uv.jpg

Last edited:

AetherDream

Breathing Life into Characters
Contributing Artist
This is so awesome!!!! I need some figures like this to add into my works. Also nice UV layout there. I love it when modelers make sense with the maps. It makes it easier to texture.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
UV in Lightwave. Looking at it now I should have made the arms slightly bigger on the UV map. Doh!

sorry...I'm just wondering why it needs to be bigger? Are you trying to match the leg size or something? Like AD I like the way it looks currently.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Normally I don't care for "creatures" but this one looks like an interesting addition to the world of fairies... not all are "nice" and pretty!

Question...would you be doing an SSS map for this one? Pretty sure that there isn't any SSS for Creepy Kid, haven't unpacked him yet... and will be trying to apply some one way or another (never could get EZSkin2 to go onto any other figure...maybe when Snarly does a tutorial with PICTURES I can really get it through my thick brain).

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Is he done yet?

Seriously though, I am absolutely impressed with your goblin figure and will definitely snap him up.

tate

Eager
Contributing Artist
Thank you all. :D I'm saying I should have made the arms slightly bigger on the UV map because that would make the scale of the UV on the arms mesh better with the UV on the body. (See attached image) See how zones 1 and 2 are slightly bigger than zones 4 and 5. The details on the final texture will mach up better the closer those zones are to each other. Did that make sense? As I said it is only slightly off but, I need to recognize where I can make improvements as far as my UV mapping is concerned. I know I'm knit picking here but, I can't get better if I don't pay attention to the small details.

uv.jpg

frogimus

Adventurous
Makes sense to me. And that attention to detail will pay off for you later. Can't wait for this fella. Later on, he might be a good target for some lady parts and elderly morphs.

tate

Eager
Contributing Artist
Normally I don't care for "creatures" but this one looks like an interesting addition to the world of fairies... not all are "nice" and pretty!

Question...would you be doing an SSS map for this one? Pretty sure that there isn't any SSS for Creepy Kid, haven't unpacked him yet... and will be trying to apply some one way or another (never could get EZSkin2 to go onto any other figure...maybe when Snarly does a tutorial with PICTURES I can really get it through my thick brain).

Creepy has SSS and so will The Goblin. :D

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
WOW!! and now really excited about using "Creepy"... :geek:

The more I think about it...the more I'm enthused about using your figures...because they are like "the other side of the story".... there are cute/sweet/light figures and now with yours there are the scary/dark (was going to say ugly, but they are SO beautifully done, of such obviously high quality, the term would be beautifully ugly! :) )

I use art to express my life, my feelings and now my stories can be more .... !

Last edited:

tate

Eager
Contributing Artist
WOW!! and now really excited about using "Creepy"... :geek:

The more I think about it...the more I'm enthused about using your figures...because they are like "the other side of the story".... there are cute/sweet/light figures and now with yours there are the scary/dark (was going to say ugly, but they are SO beautifully done, of such obviously high quality, the term would be beautifully ugly! :) )

I use art to express my life, my feelings and now my stories can be more .... !

Thank you. I just try to create figures that are fun. :D
Here is Creepy with his SSS. It is his default Poser 9 shader. It can be found in his materials as well.

ck2.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Tate, I'd love to see you do some of your scuplting magic on some Baby Luna morphs. Then, clothing for Luna could be used on the figures, no need to worry about additional vendor support.