The Goblin Figure WIP

Discussion in 'Show Me The Honey' started by tate, Mar 25, 2016.

1. tate

tate Eager Contributing Artist

1: The way the UV was pelted made the arms slightly smaller on the UV. I tried to relax it as much as I could but it is still slightly smaller than the legs and torso. It is only slightly but, there is a difference. The face mapping was made bigger to add more detail to the face. The only thing that really bugs me on this UV Map is the darn ears. Everything else is within a reasonable range but, there was a slight stretch on the ears that I can seem to fix and, it drives me crazy. ;)

2: I'm probably going to do what I did with "Creepy Kid" by creating a Poser 9+ version with Poser's weight mapping then, create a basic version to use in DS and older versions of Poser. I am playing with the idea of doing the legacy rig! Still have not decided.

2. Pendraia

Pendraia Seasoned Contributing Artist

Interesting...what did you uv it in? I thought that they would be the same scale unless you changed the size but I use UV Layout. Stretching is really annoying and one of the reasons I use UV Layout as it has some really good tools for dealing with stretching. It's so frustrating when that happens...
    I look forward to seeing what you do with it. I totally understand if you just do the weight mapping in Poser...rigging a figure is a lot of work.

3. tate

I use "MakeUV" plugin for Lightwave's Modeler. It does a decent job for the most part. Sometimes I have to tweak it a bit in Modo.

Pendraia likes this.
  4. tate

UV in Lightwave. Looking at it now I should have made the arms slightly bigger on the UV map. Doh!

uv.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Dakorillon (IMArts) likes this.
  5. AetherDream

AetherDream Breathing Life into Characters Contributing Artist

This is so awesome!!!! I need some figures like this to add into my works. Also nice UV layout there. I love it when modelers make sense with the maps. It makes it easier to texture.

tate likes this.
  6. Pendraia

Pendraia Seasoned Contributing Artist

sorry...I'm just wondering why it needs to be bigger? Are you trying to match the leg size or something? Like AD I like the way it looks currently.

7. Lyne

Lyne Dances with Bees HW Honey Bear

Normally I don't care for "creatures" but this one looks like an interesting addition to the world of fairies... not all are "nice" and pretty!

Question...would you be doing an SSS map for this one? Pretty sure that there isn't any SSS for Creepy Kid, haven't unpacked him yet... and will be trying to apply some one way or another (never could get EZSkin2 to go onto any other figure...maybe when Snarly does a tutorial with PICTURES I can really get it through my thick brain).

tate likes this.
  8. Satira Capriccio

Satira Capriccio Distinguished CV-BEE Contributing Artist

Is he done yet?

Seriously though, I am absolutely impressed with your goblin figure and will definitely snap him up.

tate likes this.
  9. 3wComics

3wComics Brilliant Contributing Artist

He's actually got a handsome face.

tate likes this.
  10. tate

Thank you all. :D I'm saying I should have made the arms slightly bigger on the UV map because that would make the scale of the UV on the arms mesh better with the UV on the body. (See attached image) See how zones 1 and 2 are slightly bigger than zones 4 and 5. The details on the final texture will mach up better the closer those zones are to each other. Did that make sense? As I said it is only slightly off but, I need to recognize where I can make improvements as far as my UV mapping is concerned. I know I'm knit picking here but, I can't get better if I don't pay attention to the small details.

uv.jpg

Pendraia likes this.
  11. frogimus

frogimus Adventurous

Makes sense to me. And that attention to detail will pay off for you later. Can't wait for this fella. Later on, he might be a good target for some lady parts and elderly morphs.

12. tate

He is lurking in the shadow.... ;)

Untitled.jpg

Carey, Dan30, Banditcameraman and 3 others like this.
  13. tate

Creepy has SSS and so will The Goblin. :D

14. tate

Another test render. I still need to rig the legs and add morphs so, I can get more expression out of him.

44.jpg

15. Satira Capriccio

Satira Capriccio Distinguished CV-BEE Contributing Artist

Gosh. I really, really love him.

I'm not sure if I've been clear enough about that ;)

tate and frogimus like this.
  16. Lyne

Lyne Dances with Bees HW Honey Bear

WOW!! and now really excited about using "Creepy"... :geek:

The more I think about it...the more I'm enthused about using your figures...because they are like "the other side of the story".... there are cute/sweet/light figures and now with yours there are the scary/dark (was going to say ugly, but they are SO beautifully done, of such obviously high quality, the term would be beautifully ugly! :) )

I use art to express my life, my feelings and now my stories can be more .... !

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    Dakorillon (IMArts) and tate like this.
  17. RAMWolff

RAMWolff Wolff Playing with Beez! Contributing Artist

What a gorgeous figure! WOW....

tate likes this.
  18. tate

Thank you. I just try to create figures that are fun. :D
    Here is Creepy with his SSS. It is his default Poser 9 shader. It can be found in his materials as well.

ck2.jpg

19. frogimus

frogimus Adventurous

Maybe Goblin and CK are the misunderstood innocents and the suburban princesses are the dark, evil ones .

That would make an interesting webcomic.

Lorraine, Pendraia and tate like this.
  20. Glitterati3D

Glitterati3D Dances with Bees

Tate, I'd love to see you do some of your scuplting magic on some Baby Luna morphs. Then, clothing for Luna could be used on the figures, no need to worry about additional vendor support.