• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
We've had several days of windy, showery weather, the boat rocking and rolling, the dinghy bump bumping, the chimney soughing, bits and bobs squeaking and tapping. Sans Souci is alive and letting me know it ;)

DanaTA

Distinguished
Nice today (Friday) but tomorrow we go back into the low 30s (F). And some snow in mid-week forecast. Sigh.

Dana

Terre

Renowned
@DanaTA : This thread is similar to the Complaint thread over at Daz but when possible Lorraine prefers happy thoughts. As a result we discuss pretty much anything in here. :)

Lorraine

Not that I read, Dana. I reserve the right to whinge about the weather whenever and wherever I go...not that it does me any good cos Ma Nature gives not one toss. I still do it but ;)

When I started this thread some years ago I wanted somewhere people could yarn without being 'off topic'. I only asked that religion and politics be left at the anchorage entrance and we be nice to each other. Otherwise go for it!

Lorraine

@Lorraine, it's a good thing you don't get sea sick.

I have a cast iron tum, Terre, just sometimes when Souc is pitching and tossing it can be a bit problematic moving around her and it's safer to stay in bed. This bit of jumbly weather hasn't been that bad, just somewhat noisy and coolish for this time of year. As we were all sweltering in a heatwave last week no one is really that sorry.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Well, I was talking about the weather in more than one thread, and thought I may have gotten off track and bothered someone.

Complaint: After I watched the news and weather last night, I went back to my computer...which was asleep. I pressed a key...nothing. Again, more frantically...nothing. I pressed the restart button...nothing. I pressed the main boot button...nothing. I unplugged the power cable, then plugged back in. Nothing. The UPS is working, other devices powered by it are working. No computer. I suspect the power supply gave up. It wasn't that long ago that I put that in. Well, the shop put it in. I'm on the laptop now. Nothing I can do but read forums. All my development tools are on the desktop computer. Can't seem to get a break. Well, I did install MS SSMS on the laptop, so I can run some of my daily queries on my site's database. but Visual studio is on the desktop computer. So are DS and Poser and Photoshop CS2 and all my development tools. and my financial data (MS Money). and MS Office 2007, including Outlook, which I use for my regular email. I can access my account at the Xfinity website, and I use a webmail app to access my own domain email. But I'll be going crazy otherwise. I have to bring my computer to the shop tomorrow and get it looked at. I thought I'd be all set for a while after the last bit of trouble just late last year. :(

Dana

Lorraine

Oh no, Dana! That sucks big time. It spent several months last year sans desktop after a continuous series of failures, it was awful. I hope yours is quickly fixed and you're back in business soon.

I'm going out to dinner tonight! The Sailing Week committee is having a debrief at the chairperson's and then we're off to the Duke of Marlborough in Russell for the evening. They do seriously scrummo food there, and I'm planning on having ALL the courses :)

DanaTA

Distinguished
The worst is when you lose the C: drive. Then you have to reinstall everything! Takes forever! And when they reinstall Windows, after putting in a new hard drive, or SSD, all the drive letters are scrambled. I have several hard drives and two SSDs. And there are some programs I lost. for example, so cool utilities that I got via bitsdujour.com. Often you have to install within the promotion period. And there is some old software that won't even install, sometimes. But I really think this is just the power supply. So, with a new one installed, everything should be fine.

If I had the money, I'd get a new motherboard and CPU, at least 16G of RAM, a new high end nVidia card, to handle iray and dForce better. But right now, that's just dreaming.

Dana

Lorraine

After morning, Terre!

Dana, my son put together a nice rig for me last year, second hand parts but from a good supplier. An i7, 16g RAM in a brand new case that fits into a Pelican case for trips ashore. It still has a low spec video card but he informs me that's changing soon...exciting! I also want to put an SSD in it as c drive to make to even more travel friendly. I'm definitely buying it its own seat on the bus next time...even with the drive removed a trip south managed to kill the motherboard which took out a ram stick...bus driver was a 'chuck it the back' type.

Lorraine

Howdo folks! A gloriously sunny day here in Opua means me sitting in front of the computer instead of off outside enjoying it :) Sooooo much power pouring into my batteries and through the inverter into my desktop...I'm giddy with yahoo!

Plumbing expenses over the last couple of months has meant me not taking advantage of the big sales here at the Hive sadly, though I did grab a few small things for Luna last month. Our exchange rate makes me want to curl in a corner and weep sometimes...and the sales have been so good for us exchange rate challenged folk. I'm looking hard at Songbird's duck pond right now, would love to get that, and the fantasy treehouse, and Lisa's Heart of the Matter and its addons. I wish I didn't need to eat :cry:

DanaTA

Distinguished
I feel for you, Lorraine. I still don't have the dog or the house cat or kitten. All wishlisted, with some other things.

Dana

Lorraine

Warm as here, Terre, another blue sky and afternoon sea breeze day, ports and doors wide open and the fan blasting.