• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My favorite is Fuji. I use a 16 slice apple slicer/corer which makes quick work of slicing the apple. Unless it's too big! The HoneyCrisp is twice the cost of the Fuji, but it wasn't noticeably sweeter or crunchier than the Fuji. I keep trying oranges, but the oranges we bought when I was young seemed better tasting, and for sure were easier to peel!

I absolutely love Bartlett pears, but can't eat pears anymore. Apparently, I react to pears now, and my lips swell up :( My doctor thought it could be the pesticides, but it happens even with organic pears. So ... they are off my list of foods.

Cantaloupe suffers from the same problem as oranges. I remember Honeydew as being a rather sweet melon. But I've tried it repeatedly over the last several years, and it's pretty flavorless now. The best melon I've found now is the Sugar Kiss Melon. That is one sweet melon!

I've tried roasting vegetables, but I'm not crazy about using the oven. What I'll do sometimes is put about half a bag of baby carrots in the skillet with fake chicken patties and cook them together. That really brings out the sweetness in carrots. I'll also sometimes slice Cauliflower and cook it in a skillet. That's also delicious.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Cantaloupes vary from year to year. Seems they are either tasty and sweet that year or they are not. I try one at the beginning of the summer to see how they will be.

DanaTA

Distinguished
My favorite is Fuji. I use a 16 slice apple slicer/corer which makes quick work of slicing the apple. Unless it's too big! The HoneyCrisp is twice the cost of the Fuji, but it wasn't noticeably sweeter or crunchier than the Fuji. I keep trying oranges, but the oranges we bought when I was young seemed better tasting, and for sure were easier to peel!

I absolutely love Bartlett pears, but can't eat pears anymore. Apparently, I react to pears now, and my lips swell up :( My doctor thought it could be the pesticides, but it happens even with organic pears. So ... they are off my list of foods.

Cantaloupe suffers from the same problem as oranges. I remember Honeydew as being a rather sweet melon. But I've tried it repeatedly over the last several years, and it's pretty flavorless now. The best melon I've found now is the Sugar Kiss Melon. That is one sweet melon!

I've tried roasting vegetables, but I'm not crazy about using the oven. What I'll do sometimes is put about half a bag of baby carrots in the skillet with fake chicken patties and cook them together. That really brings out the sweetness in carrots. I'll also sometimes slice Cauliflower and cook it in a skillet. That's also delicious.

I find the HoneyCrisp sweeter than the Fuji. Most of the time, HoneyCrisp are too big for the slicer/corer. Have you tried Taylor's Gold pears? Sweeeet and juicy! Larger than Bartlett or Bosc pears. Not as hard, either. They come from New Zealand and are a mid-winter fruit here in the States, at least in my area. But I can't always find them. I like tangerines. They are a type, rather than a species. Clementines, I think. I really like minneolas. Easier to peel than an orange, and I just love the taste. Sometimes I get a batch that maybe was picked too soon and they're not sweet enough. Most of the time they're really tasty.

I think a lot of the time they pick fruits and melons too early, in order to get them to market quickly. It's too bad, they ruin them doing this.

I found out last year that bananas that we eat today are not the same we ate when we were young. The more popular banana species endured a disease that wiped them out. I thought there was something different about them when I returned to eating them recently. I thought it was just my perceptions. So many things tasted better when I was young.

Dana

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I'm a Granny Smith girl but mine don't come from a shop, they're from my son's orchard. Every year he designates a 'Mum's Tree' and I get all the apples off it, big, beautiful and ripe. Granny Smiths take a lot longer to ripen than most apples and seldom get into the shops that way. You ain't tasted anything like a fresh ripe Granny off a home orchard tree...they can be six inches across. Several months to go and I'm already salivating...

Terre

Renowned
I find the HoneyCrisp sweeter than the Fuji. Most of the time, HoneyCrisp are too big for the slicer/corer. Have you tried Taylor's Gold pears? Sweeeet and juicy! Larger than Bartlett or Bosc pears. Not as hard, either. They come from New Zealand and are a mid-winter fruit here in the States, at least in my area. But I can't always find them. I like tangerines. They are a type, rather than a species. Clementines, I think. I really like minneolas. Easier to peel than an orange, and I just love the taste. Sometimes I get a batch that maybe was picked too soon and they're not sweet enough. Most of the time they're really tasty.

I think a lot of the time they pick fruits and melons too early, in order to get them to market quickly. It's too bad, they ruin them doing this.

I found out last year that bananas that we eat today are not the same we ate when we were young. The more popular banana species endured a disease that wiped them out. I thought there was something different about them when I returned to eating them recently. I thought it was just my perceptions. So many things tasted better when I was young.

Dana
That's where the song "Yes, we have no bananas" came from. The species people were used to going extinct. Meanwhile the current one is getting killed off by a fungus. Several groups are trying to develop a new breed that will work for American tastes while being able to survive a ship voyage before the Cavendish is gone. The problem is that each type of banana is like seedless oranges. They are all genetically identical. Bananas primary reproduction is vegetative. only one in something like 1000 seeds is viable.
As for apples and such, most are picked earlier than they used to be to survive shipping long distances better. This affects the taste.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I'm sure some of you have seen the news about coffee. The best tasting beans are diseased and they fear that they will go extinct. Then only some beans that are not as good will be left. I can almost hear the lament of billions of coffee lovers. I've only just recently even begun to develop a taste for it. And still not that much. I like the iced version of the caramel coffee at IHOP, and I liked one that Diane had when were on vacation at a small restaurant called Peaches in No. Conway, NH. And I like the Starbucks Frappucino Mocha in the bottles. More than I thought I ever would. I guess I might be too late to the party.

Dana

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I like my coffee and I do like really good coffee but can't afford it so I am ok with the not so good as long as it doesn't taste like bilge water

Lorraine

Coffee is the only reason I get out of bed sometimes...if I had one of those bedside coffee makers I probably never would. I hope I'm a thing of the past before my beloved beverage is taken from me :(

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Won't be as bad for me on dry land but could still make for an interesting few days, I'm just glad its now not this time next month or we would be under canvas lol

Lorraine

There was a gathering of boat folk around the forecast in the marina office window. The general consensus of opinion was 'sucks to be us!' We'll know for sure on Friday where it's going to track. I'll be ready with easy to prepare food, water and towels for Africa and everything battened down and tied up, the outboard off the dinghy and petrol in the generator. Then I'll go to bed.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Sounds like a good plan Lorraine, I'll be doing the landcrab version of that myself. Lucky other than dropping Isaac to his dad friday and picking him up sunday I don't need to go anywhere

Lorraine

The calm before the wet. Today is GLORIOUS! I've my washing festooned every which way and it makes me happy to see it all drying so quickly. I've dedicated today to boatwork even though I'm busting to get on the computer...one must suffer for one's art and boy!, does boatwork make me suffer! I'll see you on the flip side with a tidier boat :inverted: