• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Terre

Renowned
Does the breeze help?
Still mild for this time of year here. All the truly bad stuff keeps going a little north of us.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
'ello its another stinking hot day here, about 30c but there is a bit of a breeze that makes it a bit cooler. In saying that the computer has been going all day rendering promos so that room is too warm to spend much time in even with the fan on

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Meanwhile, I snuggled under blankets and took a nap after dinner because it's sooo cold here. On a normal cold day, I have the thermostat set to 68F which is comfy enough. But with these cold spells, I've had to turn it up to 72F to be as comfortable. Then if I forget to turn it down before going to sleep, it gets just too hot. I so miss the programmable thermostat we had in our last house. But since these are the under the window wall units that have the thermostat on each unit, they aren't programmable.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, last night it was colder than it's been in a while, with the wind adding to the chill factor. I hadn't needed to wear a sweatshirt, leggings, and 2 blankets to sleep in a while, but last night it was necessary.

I'm hoping it's not going to be that cold tonight.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
That does sound cold, ladies! It's 2am and I'm lying under a sheet with a fan blowing and it's warm, really warm. It would have been over 30C inland today but yes, Terre, the seabreeze kept it cooler on the coast.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, it turns out it wasn't as cold last night as it was the night before, so a comfortable sleep. :)

Keep cool Lorraine. ;)

Terre

Renowned
It's one of the two busiest days of the year for our floral dept. What surprised the boss is that a girl who was hired part time to help out (and has been teaching our new floral person a lot) decided to do things like take 6 packs of bottles of beer, line the outside of the box with candy bars, put some other decorations on them and sell the result for $29.99 and they're being snapped up. He is seriously looking at hiring her full time as soon as the department is making enough to handle the salary expense. With her help he's sure it'll reach that point.
One thing that happens every year is people looking at the price of roses, griping about how high they are, saying they're going to go somewhere else (there are two dedicated floral shops in town) and they are back two hours later because our prices are lower. The florists HAVE to charge more. They don't have an entire super market around them helping pay the bills.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I treated myself for Valentines Day with a "Baked by Melissa" six pack of cupcakes. They sounded really good ... though at about $12 for six, it seemed a wee bit spendy. But then, they are "special" Valentine's Day cupcakes. And ... at one a day, I could have a cupcake a day for almost a week!

Well ... um. Six bites later, all six cupcakes were gone. I kid you not, each cupcake was smaller than a marshmallow. Apparently, Baked by Melissa specializes in bite sized treats. Not a detail that was included on the Fresh Direct product page. I called Fresh Direct and suggested the description on their product page include the information these cupcakes are "bite size."

They seemed to be rather delicious. But seriously? This whole thing of pretending a food is low in calories by packaging products in tiny little packages is just plain ridiculous. They tout these quarter sized little cupcakes as "being under 50 calories! And a few go as low as 38 calories. Yup, you heard me. You’re basically dieting." Sure. And I could eat a teaspoon of sugar and claim to be dieting too because that's even less calories!

These silly little cupcakes should be sold as thimble cakes :p

DanaTA

Distinguished
Every company seems to be doing that. What gets me is the food items, not goodies. Like a can of tomato sauce. What used to be 16 oz. is now 15 oz. What used to be 32 oz. is no 29 oz. And they are doing the same thing with a lot of ingredients. It messes up favorite recipes!

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
You may not be getting enough exercise. I've lost 10lbs. since last summer, though why this year, and not previous years, I have no idea. I work out at a gym every week, so not really sure why it's working more now than before. ~shrugs~

Terre

Renowned
Have you made a small change in your eating habits? Perhaps not quite as hungry as before? A small reduction in calories could add up.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I treated myself for Valentines Day with a "Baked by Melissa" six pack of cupcakes. They sounded really good ... though at about $12 for six, it seemed a wee bit spendy. But then, they are "special" Valentine's Day cupcakes. And ... at one a day, I could have a cupcake a day for almost a week!

Those look so good!

If you want to lose weight eat lots of vegetables. They are really good grilled or broiled with olive oil. Also takes away cravings for sweets.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Fresh fruits, too! An apple can satisfy craving for sweets, and fill you at the same time. My favorite apples are HoneyCrisp. I just discovered them last year. I also like Red Delicious and Fuji apples. doctor says something like three or four servings a day! I just can't! I'd be doing nothing but eating! I slice my apples and cut out the cores. But I' don't peel them...there's nutrients in the peels. The thing about fresh fruits is, I can't eat them while working (or playing) on my computer. Too messy. Unlike a candy bar or cookies or chips. But I've trained myself to walk away and have an apple (or other fruit). Lately I've fallen back on that, but I'm working on getting back to it. It really did help. The holidays did me in.

Dana