• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sounds like it may have grown around the track.

Glad you had a good Christmas...I prefer less crowded situations myself.

Talking of fully recovered my middle son took all day yesterday to recover from overindulging(23)...didn't get much sympathy from Mum though. I suppose we've all been there at some point in our lives though...

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
What's the difference between a tram and a train?

I'm thinking trams may be like the San Francisco streetcars? Well yeah. Looks like it.

Streetcar, Cable Car: What's the difference?

I know now everything I ever wanted to know (and more) about Street Cars, Trolleys/Trams, and Cable Cars. Apparently, SEPTA here in Philadelphia is going to replace all their Trolley Cars with "Modern, articulating trolleys" ... similar to the ones in Portland, Oregon.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
We had streetcars in NY when I was a kid, but they've been gone for at least 50 years or more, or at least not that I've seen since then.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Trains have a engine to pull the carriages/wagons and are all we have in Northland. No passenger trains either, just infrequent buses.

I sure prefer less crowded myself, Pen, just me and Shannon was lovely for the three days.

Just been out to the boat...all is well but man, was it a hottie! You would prob think it was a cool day, Pen but we are sweltering in the unaccustomed heat. The tourists will be loving it!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sounds like you've been enjoying it which is the main thing. I've just realised how spoilt we are. We have trains, buses and trams in the inner suburbs. I'm not sure if anywhere else in Australia has trams. I think they did but I'm not sure if they still do...

Lorraine

The transport was one of the biggest buzzes I got when I came over to Melbourne...being able to go anywhere practically any time was soooo cool. I'm also enamoured even of Auckland's transport...the jafa's moan about it and I say "you HAVE public transport, you have NOTHING to complain about, try living in Northland without a car, you'll have something to complain about then!"

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Near where I work they just got a train station...it's one of the newer growth areas and the traffic is just horrendous going in the other direction. I'm lucky that I'm going to the suburb not away from it in the mornings.

Lorraine

Yep, no decent public transport sure does bring reliance on the car...if it wasn't for my friends, I would have to hitch-hike everywhere. That's one of the reasons I do as much dogsitting as I do, so I can pay them back for all that not having to hitch.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I don't know how I would cope without a car...especially for getting to and from work. I'd have to go into the city and then back out again which would take an hour each way minimum.

Lorraine

It's hard to live here without a car...in fact, if my friends weren't as helpful, I'd say it was impossible. I used to have a car but it was stolen, taken to Moerewa and set on fire...I didn't bother to replace it for a long time. Then I got another, after six months I gave it away as the sitting on the side of the road was doing it no good and there was always going to be the possiblity of it getting stolen. Shannon has been making noises about getting me another one which he says he will make look so crappy no-one would ever want to steal it. He is really good with cars, knows where to source parts and would do all the work on it. We'll see.

Last edited:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Me too! Even though Philadelphia does have subway, trolleys, trains, and buses. And a tendency to go out on strike in the middle of a workday every couple of years. After the last time, I said I would never give money willingly to SEPTA again. Subways here are terribly dirty and stink year round. Even worse in the summer. The trains are supposed to be better cared for, but it's one thing for SEPTA to go on strike when you live a mile from work as I used to, and quite another for them to go out o strike when you live 7 miles away.

When I lived a mile from work, I had the choice of subway, bus, or walking. The subways ran more frequently ... and a wee bit faster than the bus. While I enjoyed walking home after work, I didn't enjoy walking to work. Here it's the bus or the train, and while the train is faster than the bus, it's still SEPTA.

It probably would be different if I'd grown up using public transportation. But when you're used to the independence of being able to drive anywhere, anytime, it's hard to adjust to being dependent on someone else's schedule. Especially, when that schedule isn't always dependable.

Of course, then we have the antisocial, live in a cave bit.

If I didn't drive to work, my car would sit unused for months, which as Lorraine said isn't all that good for a car.

I don't know how I would cope without a car...especially for getting to and from work. I'd have to go into the city and then back out again which would take an hour each way minimum.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Understand totally Lorraine and Satira! Lorraine, don't you have a wonderful son! He fixes your computer and also worries about how you're getting to places. Sounds like a real treasure!

Lorraine

Oh Pen, he is an absolute darling. We are both geeks, love the same sort of movies and books, love boats, he loads up his games and takes me on explorations...the next will be WOW, he is paying for a month's access just so he can show me around. He is the only person I can spend lots of time with and be really happy about it. Had such a lovely three days with him, we watched so many films!

Satira, I really feel for you. The Auckland transport I was rapsodising about is really clean, very reliable and on time, as long as there hasn't been an accident or particularly bad traffic which of course would affect cars as well.

I must away to bed...I said I would cover for a friend in her office for two days and it's tomorrow and Wednesday. I am now wishing I'd said no as it's two days out of my computing and I'm on a roll at the mo. But it will pay for the elusive UPS that Sans Souci and the computer have been waiting for so I shall keep that in mind all day. Night all :inverted:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh absolutely!

Though, I snarl more when I have to leave my cave. I really do not like going out into the world. Which I did yesterday to see two cats that were brought into the Ardmore Pet Valu for me to see. Both cats hate other cats and are living in a foster home with 18 total cats (and half a dozen dogs), so they aren't at all happy about that. Beautiful cats. But one is 18 months, the other 3 years, and while I wasn't at all put out by their annoyed behavior (after all, I'd be rather prickly too if I had been transported 20+ miles in carriers and was expected to meet someone in a busy pet store ... and even worse, if two of my enemies were sitting in cages right in front of me where I couldn't swat them away.

But ... it was a beautiful day, even though it was cloudy and overcast. I don't mind days like that at all. I'm a Oregonian (even if I've been on the wrong coast over 20 years now) We thrive on rainy or cloudy and overcast days. Well, at least those of us who were raised west of the Cascades. Oregon east of the Cascades is a different matter all together since that's high desert.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
He sounds absolutely lovely Lorraine...enjoy your days in the office maybe you can sneak in some time on the computer if things are quiet.

Satira, I thought buying a cat here was bad. We have to go through breeders these days. Very few pet shops carry kittens or cats unless they are also registered as breeders. I finally found Vesper by asking at a pet shop. One of the girls who worked there was registered as a breeder and looking after kittens that had been left with the local vet for one reason or another. I was really lucky though to get exactly what I was looking for.

Lorraine

Yay! Got a txt at 8am that my services were not required today...woop woop! Got to go in tomorrow but. So more playtime :) And two hours extra sleep ;)

Lorraine

Two long days later: one 7 hour day in a hot office where I answered the phone six times (why oh why did they not shut down tween Christmas and New Year o_O ) and one day bussing to Auckland. Now having a lay down, with a cool breeze coming in the window, the sound of traffic and a box of chokkies. The chokkies are disappearing rather fast.

A Happy New Year to one and all, six hours and counting till 2016 :inverted: