• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It was cold here today as well, but not at all windy, and that's always a good thing. Tomorrow, however's going to be wet with definite rain, and the "possibility" of snow. Those north of us will definitely see some snow, but I don't know if we'll see the rain change to snow later in the day. ~brrrrrr~

Terre

Renowned
Windy is what we had. Gusts of up to over 60 mph. I've had some sinus problems all day due to blowing dust. At least I wasn't out in it so it's not that bad. Funny thing is Weather Underground said that air quality was good. I guess if it isn't pollen or smoke they think stuff getting blown around that is small enough to breath doesn't matter.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, we had rain this morning, but by the time I left the gym, I think it was hailing. It was too loud oh my umbrella to just be small snow flakes.

Now it looks like it's back to just rain, as everything's dripping wet, but nothing's white, so no snow . . . well at least not yet. We may see some later tonight.

DanaTA

Distinguished
It just started snowing here. Supposed to turn to rain later tonight, and continue until Tuesday morning. Yay. :confused: It may be mixed with some ice at times, and then it will turn back to snow or a mix before it heads out to sea. Yay again.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, according to the weather report last night, they said most of the snow would be north and west of us, though the system edge could get close, and the temps were cold today, so we may see some snow tonight.

We're also supposed to have a lot of rain until tomorrow night/Tuesday morning.

Terre

Renowned
It just started snowing here. Supposed to turn to rain later tonight, and continue until Tuesday morning. Yay. :confused: It may be mixed with some ice at times, and then it will turn back to snow or a mix before it heads out to sea. Yay again.

Dana
Eep! Diane made it home safely I hope?

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
First frost this morning, well frost....for Dutch standards everything remotely going below zero gets everyone excited.
I just predict the first skates will be taken out and prepared just incase, the lower the temperature outside, the more heated people get and start debating about "de Elfstedentocht" and if that will be "on" this year.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, it mostly rained today, and when it did change to snow, it was mostly wet snow and wasn't accumulating. That changed later in the day, but from what I can see, it's only sticking to greenery, mostly grass and plants around the buildings in this neighborhood. I can't see any of the trees, but I'm sure there's some sticking up in the branches as well.

I just heard on the news the worst of it is further upstate, not far from where Seliah lives, so I'm hoping she and her family are holding up OK.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
We got about 2.5 ft of snow where I am. No snow at all yesterday, but today it's been snowing basically all day again. We're used to dealing with winter weather here, it's just unusual for us to get a lot of snow anymore. It's been years since we had more than a dusting on the ground AND had it STAY there. Generally if we DO get more than a dusting, it's melted within a day or two, not snowing again three days later. LOL

We're all good though. This area has the infrastructure and plows to deal with it, and we have space to remove it to. The city generally ignores my street entirely, so it's not unusual to find everyone literally standing in the middle of the street with shovels or privately owned snow-blowers because the city will wait until it's all melted THEN post "emergency no parking" signs. Which if you're caught parking with those signs up, they will tow you at your own expense... it's just a money grab here on our street. They take the signs down after 24 hours and don't even bother running a plow through.

So yeah. We're used to it. Not a big deal around here. :)

Terre

Renowned
That much snow would paralyze this town. I think we got something like 18 inches out of Goliath. That was bad enough.

How is Lorraine doing?
Has anyone seen Mytho?

Miss B

CV-BEE
That much snow would paralyze this town.
I can remember the first time we had a huge snowstorm, because we had to get folks from Buffalo, which is up in the northwest corner of NY, to come down here, in the southeast corner of the state, to help us clean it up. They did give us ideas as to what type of equipment was needed to clear the streets, and how to stay ahead of large snowstorms, but before that we were really at Mother Nature's mercy. Strange for such a large city, but we were totally unprepared for it. Since then we've been in much better shape, and luckily we haven't had any large snowstorms in a long time. Now I hope I haven't jinxed us. ~shakes head~

DanaTA

Distinguished
Yeah, NY doesn't seem to get the big ones like that very often. And it's a big city, with a lot of tall buildings. All that concrete gathers heat during the day and radiates it at night. So the temperatures are usually milder than outside the city limits. It's the same for Boston. Even though they're north of os, I notice they're temperatures are often warmer, sometimes much more so.

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
I guess maybe being in the water helps keep the temperatures up a bit, too. Another thing that Boston has going for it. It's right on the coast and is often warmer due to that.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, and the heat generated from our subways helps heat up streets as well, though those are usually main thoroughfares, not side streets like where I am, though I'm only 1 very long block off the main street in this neighborhood.