• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Hornet3d

Wise
We have ducted cooling and heating. It's a good thing we also have solar panels to help with the cost of running it.
32 doesn't sound too bad but I'm guessing the humidity is the killer. I prefer dry heat any day.

@Hornet3d bush fires are never a good thing and I imagine a fire on the moor is similar.

Cooling: open a window
Heating: close the curtains and plug in the heater. :)
I like a dry heat too I also prefire a dry cold. And guess what we get here? Yep that's right, cold and wet or warm and damp :confused:
I would say fires on the moor could be worse if you are dealing with peatland, as that means the ground it's self burns and it can go underground

I am not sure how different moor fires are to bush fires but what does seem similar is they cover vast areas, move quickly and are hard to put out. It was thought that the fire was out a few days ago but it has been raging for a while now. Military have now been called in to help the fires teams and so far about 100 families have had to move out of their homes for safety.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
@Hornet3d i grew up on peatland and over summer every one got very paranoid. There was only one during my childhood and a small one at that but I got to see first hand how the fire could go underground with out a trace and come up some where else. It's rather scary

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Howdy all!

Was that the Hauraki Plains, Dreamer? I remember one bad drought year as a kid, going over the Kaimais and looking back all you could see was smoke for miles in the distance. Twas a very bad year indeed.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Howdy all!

Was that the Hauraki Plains, Dreamer? I remember one bad drought year as a kid, going over the Kaimais and looking back all you could see was smoke for miles in the distance. Twas a very bad year indeed.
Yeah more or less, we weren't quite out on the plains but close enough. I heard all the stories of the big peat fires from when my mum was a kid and older stories too from the local farmers.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I am not sure how different moor fires are to bush fires but what does seem similar is they cover vast areas, move quickly and are hard to put out. It was thought that the fire was out a few days ago but it has been raging for a while now. Military have now been called in to help the fires teams and so far about 100 families have had to move out of their homes for safety.

I hope that they get it out soon...

Are you up north near Lancashire? My mum was born in Bury and grew up on the coast at Weston Super Mare. Hope i spelled that right.

Charles West

Adventurous
We have ducted cooling and heating. It's a good thing we also have solar panels to help with the cost of running it.
32 doesn't sound too bad but I'm guessing the humidity is the killer. I prefer dry heat any day.

@Hornet3d bush fires are never a good thing and I imagine a fire on the moor is similar.

It is Arkansas ... Dry heat I have rarely seen. The furthest distance any of the residences in my life is 5 miles and Summer is normally hot and muggy. At times I call it drinkable air. I have seen fog roll in at night on the streetlight near the house one direction and expected to see it at least one other direction like the drain that runs behind the house. Clear lights down that way... I felt like the fog was teasing me.

Hornet3d

Wise
I hope that they get it out soon...

Are you up north near Lancashire? My mum was born in Bury and grew up on the coast at Weston Super Mare. Hope i spelled that right.

No we are based in the south but seeing horrific pictures from a location that is only an hour or so drive away is unsettling. They are still trying to put it out and hoping like bad there is not change in the wind that will push both the fire and the smoke back towards the residential areas.

Hornet3d

Wise
Ouch. I hope they get it out soon. Do they have air tankers to drop water from above?

I am not sure on tankers, I have seen the helicopters with the buckets slung underneath but that is the closest I have seen so far. I think the problem might be that this is a fairly rare occurrence for us in the UK, particularly on this scale so we may not be prepared for it.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
We call those monsoon buckets. We have bush fires up here, not like the Aussie ones but sufficient that there are helicopters with monsoon buckets available. A couple of years ago one of these helicopters crashed into the sea when refilling and the pilot was killed. The fire was arson so the locals were ready to lynch whoever it was. Sadly, he/she was never caught.

Hornet3d

Wise
We call those monsoon buckets. We have bush fires up here, not like the Aussie ones but sufficient that there are helicopters with monsoon buckets available. A couple of years ago one of these helicopters crashed into the sea when refilling and the pilot was killed. The fire was arson so the locals were ready to lynch whoever it was. Sadly, he/she was never caught.

Never knew that, thanks you learn something new every day. Not seen over here very often so I guess they are not well known.

Hornet3d

Wise
The first moor fire is said to be under control but another fire has started on another moor in the same part of the country. It is a problem with the ground being so dry but as is usual for the UK we have had about 10 days of sunshine and they are already imposing hose pipe bans, asking people to just have short showers and advising that there could be water shortages. They might have more public support if their pipe networks did not leak massive amounts of water every day and they have done for years.