• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Then it's a good thing your coworker called. I wouldn't want to drive all the way to work just to see that! ~points up~

Hornet3d

Wise
Early holiday today! A 48 inch water main broke in the wee hours of the morning at an intersection next to where I work. Because of the flooding, there is no power in my building. This is the next intersection over from the break, and the street I cross from the parking garage to where I work.

Needless to say, we're closed today, and until further notice. Fortunately, a coworker called me to tell me we're closed. While my boss did send out a text, I so rarely get texts that I wouldn't have checked, and I wouldn't have known until I hit the street closures.

View attachment 39124

Thank God it happened while you were at home.

Terre

Renowned
Yipe! Glad things worked out so you didn't get stuck there Satira.
I can understand the street closures but am not used to a situation like that cutting power to buildings. Underground lines?

Charles West

Adventurous
Yikes. I am like Terre and guessing that power is underground or that they are cutting power because of basements flooding. Hopefully they will have it fixed soon.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Wow! Never seen a flood like that from a broken pipe before...it islucky you werent there when it happened!

We are having a heat wave in the UK at the moment although I know there a plenty of places hotter. I have a mobile air con unit that keeps one room cool where I can go and chill out and the only place the dog can settle without panting all day.
My sister's over there at the moment...she was saying it was 24, when my sister in law comes down from Cairns she complains that its cold if its less than 30...:rofl: personally i find 24 just right not too hot and not too cold.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I can't even picture the size of a 48 inch water main ... that's like ... 4 feet wide?
Power outages would have been caused by the electrical equipment in flooded basement. Low water pressure caused other locations to lose their AC.

It's going to take days, if not longer, to repair this.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I can well imagine it's going to be a mess to clean up, though with tomorrow a big holiday, most folks in that area won't be there anyway.

Terre

Renowned
I can't even picture the size of a 48 inch water main ... that's like ... 4 feet wide?
Power outages would have been caused by the electrical equipment in flooded basement. Low water pressure caused other locations to lose their AC.

It's going to take days, if not longer, to repair this.
That makes sense.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Wow. Today has been a day for flooding!

We had a massive storm come in this afternoon that stayed for hours. The rain was so heavy, I couldn't even see across the street! Thunder and lightning is scary enough, but then the building fire alarm went off. Unfortunately, Tsuki bolted for the top of the cupboards as soon as the alarm sounded, so I wasn't able to grab her and put her in her carrier. It took the poor baby three attempts before she was able to make it onto the counter. Which shows just how terrified she is when the alarm goes off.

Maintenance is no longer allowed to turn off the alarms once they establish there isn't a fire but have to wait for the fire department to arrive. That's always been the law, but it wasn't enforced until that devastating fire in NYC. Consequently, it was something like 45 minutes before the alarm was turned off.

And ... the cause of the fire alarm? The rain caused a minor water flood in the office.

Just too much water today!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry. When we have alarms go off at work it can be tricky when you have a child with a sensitivity to sound. If we know there is going to be a practice session we talk about it with the child so they know to expect it. Can't do that with cats though...

Miss B

CV-BEE
We don't have Fire Alarms here in this building, but I heard a lot of banging a little while ago, and called my neighbor down the hall, who's on the co-op's board of directors, and she said the Fire Department was here. One of the older ladies who lives 3 floors down, fell asleep while smoking a cigarette. She's in the hospital now, and hopefully will pull threw, but supposedly her apartment's totaled.

If she does make it, I don't know where she's going to live, because she's a long-time resident who never bought her apartment when the building converted to co-op back in '87. The owner of the building is going to have a massive task of getting it fit to live in again, that's for sure.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
In addition to each apartment having a fire alarm, each of which are loud enough to be heard by a lost ship at sea, there are alarms in the hallway, one which is right outside my door as I'm at the end of the hallway. Each of the hallway alarms are also loud enough to be heard by a lost ship at sea. They are only bearable once you pass through two sets of doors to the stairs.

For sure ... I will so not miss these alarms when I finally move!

Hornet3d

Wise
Wow! Never seen a flood like that from a broken pipe before...it islucky you werent there when it happened!

My sister's over there at the moment...she was saying it was 24, when my sister in law comes down from Cairns she complains that its cold if its less than 30...:rofl: personally i find 24 just right not too hot and not too cold.

I varies across the country in the south we have gone up to 28 and in the East around London they have been 30. It is not just the temperature though it is very close which means you are sweating as soon as you try and do anything, even housework. I guess it depends a lot on what you are used to.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Here in the United States, the Fourth of July is our Independence Day. Which is when we celebrate the colonies adopting the Declaration of Independence, the document declaring our independence from the British Empire, and that we were a new nation, which would become the United States of America.

Later today, Tsuki and I will watch several area fireworks from our apartment. While we can't see all the fireworks, we see enough. The best fireworks display I ever saw was when we watched from the top floor of sister-in-law's office building in Portland, Oregon. It wasn't that far from the waterfront, so we were "up close and personal." It's way awesome to be at eye level with fireworks.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I have to agree. Here in NY, they close down the highways that skirt the shorelines of the East River, and across 2 of the bridges, and folks go early, find a spot, and watch the fireworks up close and personal, or at least that's how it used to be for a lot of years. I'll only be able to see the really high blooms of the fireworks, as there are mostly apartment buildings in this area, and though not taller than mine (I'm on the top floor), I'm still too far away for a straight on view.

Hornet3d

Wise
Here in the United States, the Fourth of July is our Independence Day. Which is when we celebrate the colonies adopting the Declaration of Independence, the document declaring our independence from the British Empire, and that we were a new nation, which would become the United States of America.

Later today, Tsuki and I will watch several area fireworks from our apartment. While we can't see all the fireworks, we see enough. The best fireworks display I ever saw was when we watched from the top floor of sister-in-law's office building in Portland, Oregon. It wasn't that far from the waterfront, so we were "up close and personal." It's way awesome to be at eye level with fireworks.

I have to agree. Here in NY, they close down the highways that skirt the shorelines of the East River, and across 2 of the bridges, and folks go early, find a spot, and watch the fireworks up close and personal, or at least that's how it used to be for a lot of years. I'll only be able to see the really high blooms of the fireworks, as there are mostly apartment buildings in this area, and though not taller than mine (I'm on the top floor), I'm still too far away for a straight on view.

I hope you both enjoy some spectacular displays and have a great night. The best displays I ever saw was the world championship of fireworks (never knew there was such an event) in Sweden 20 odd years ago. I was able to stand on the balcony of the hotel overlooking Stockholm, what a night.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
We'd always go to Autzen Stadium, home of the University of Oregon Ducks, but by the end of the evening you had a crick in your neck from having to look up as the fireworks exploded overhead. Being on eye level with most of fireworks as they exploded was a whole 'nother experience. It was simply amazing to see them explode from what seemed like only feet away ... as if we were in the heart of the exploding firework.

The only thing better would have been a balcony that high. But, a dark, unfinished floor is second best :wink:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I varies across the country in the south we have gone up to 28 and in the East around London they have been 30. It is not just the temperature though it is very close which means you are sweating as soon as you try and do anything, even housework. I guess it depends a lot on what you are used to.
very true... we don't consider it hot unless it's over 30. But to be considered a heatwave here its generally above 40. I still remember the year my candles melted in the heat when we had 4-5 days over 42 in a row. Thank god that we have air conditioning now back then we didnt.