• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Our fireworks are on November 5, Guy Fawkes Day, and New Years Eve. Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter Parliament with honest intentions. We, NZ, are not part of the US but for some reason there are 4th of July sales on all over the place. I do not celebrate as that was my wedding day and we know how THAT turned out.

Ice on the decks here yesterday, a real shock to my system.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Not me, Miss B, it had all melted before I ventured forth. My neighbours were up at sparrowfart and took some photos, me? I stayed in bed like a sensible person ;)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
So ... our building is still without power today, and most likely tomorrow too. It's questionable whether we will be open Monday.

I spent all morning on the phone with a coworker because ... while the web version of the Case Management application isn't working because it's on the web server which is at the Broad Street location, which is flooded and without power, the desktop version is on the server located at another location. But ... because we have to use Active Directory to log into all our applications, and ... the Active Directory server is at the Broad Street location ... well. You get it. No one can log into the Case Management application.

Except ... there is a copy of the Active Directory server running at the remote locations. So, all we needed to do was to change one line of code in my application to use that version of Active Directory and republish.

Except ... my laptop was at work, and the master copy of the code is on the Subversion server ... which is located at the Broad Street location, and the code on my coworker's laptop was over half a year out of date.

So, we conferenced in our boss, and learned the building is allowing us into the building twice a day to retrieve things, accompanied by security. Of course, with the power off, that means climbing 23 flights of stairs up and back down. Even though, the building has generators, which one would think would be running at least one of the elevators. So ... one of our techs was sent to retrieve my laptop and return it to my coworker. We then made the code change, and I walked him through publishing a new version.

But, oh my gosh, that was like four hours or so of being on the phone. Four hours of vacation time!

Hornet3d

Wise
So ... our building is still without power today, and most likely tomorrow too. It's questionable whether we will be open Monday.

I spent all morning on the phone with a coworker because ... while the web version of the Case Management application isn't working because it's on the web server which is at the Broad Street location, which is flooded and without power, the desktop version is on the server located at another location. But ... because we have to use Active Directory to log into all our applications, and ... the Active Directory server is at the Broad Street location ... well. You get it. No one can log into the Case Management application.

Except ... there is a copy of the Active Directory server running at the remote locations. So, all we needed to do was to change one line of code in my application to use that version of Active Directory and republish.

Except ... my laptop was at work, and the master copy of the code is on the Subversion server ... which is located at the Broad Street location, and the code on my coworker's laptop was over half a year out of date.

So, we conferenced in our boss, and learned the building is allowing us into the building twice a day to retrieve things, accompanied by security. Of course, with the power off, that means climbing 23 flights of stairs up and back down. Even though, the building has generators, which one would think would be running at least one of the elevators. So ... one of our techs was sent to retrieve my laptop and return it to my coworker. We then made the code change, and I walked him through publishing a new version.

But, oh my gosh, that was like four hours or so of being on the phone. Four hours of vacation time!

I love it when a plan comes together ;).

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE

YIKES! I know we had a problem years ago, and I had left early with most everyone else, but my express bus, when it finally showed up, was filled, and then some. That was strange enough, since the stop where I usually get it, is the first stop on it's route home, so seeing it filled really put me off.

That said, I saw one of the security guards of our building walking by the bus stop where I was standing, and asked him if he could get me back up to my office on the 18th floor, and he said yes, because the emergency "service" elevator was still working. I had to call someone I knew was still upstairs (some decided to wait it out), and have her meet me at the service elevator on my floor, which just happened to be diagonally across from my office. Needless to say, I was glad she was already there when we got upstairs. I eventually got home, but it was hours later.

I don't recall now what the situation was, but it must've been bad if the surface transportation (buses) was just about non-existent.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Good that you got the problem solved Satira frustrating though to lose 4 hours of vacation time.

Last edited:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Today's update on work ...

Contractors have wired up and safely connected several generators along Broad Street which have the capability of back feeding and powering the entire building.
Labor and Industry (L&I) officials are scheduled at the building mid-morning Monday to examine the property and life safety systems.

But ... so sad. The building will still be closed to the tenants Monday. They hope to reopen Tuesday, but no guarantees.

Terre

Renowned
Well, at least they seem to be doing things the right way for recovering from something like that flooding. Hopefully Tuesday will see things return to normal.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Well, we're sorta back. Power is provided by a line of generators parked in front of the building. So all our lovely planters perfect for sitting on are fenced off.