• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I never answer my house phone, and I only ever after my cell phone if I know who is calling. So ... it's been ages since I dealt with a nuisance or scam caller. Choosing to ignore calls was the best thing I ever did. After all, it's my phone, I pay for it, it's my right to ignore it :p

And ... regardless of what we were taught, it's not rude.

Terre

Renowned
It's not rude, no. However I sometimes get calls from work from a cell that I've never gotten a call from before and the way people wander about the country now you can't tell by area code. In addition I have a funny situation. The computer guy we deal with has a cell that T-Mobile says is "unknown". Even he doesn't understand that.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I never answer my house phone, and I only ever after my cell phone if I know who is calling. So ... it's been ages since I dealt with a nuisance or scam caller. Choosing to ignore calls was the best thing I ever did. After all, it's my phone, I pay for it, it's my right to ignore it :p

And ... regardless of what we were taught, it's not rude.
Oh I do as you do, but this gal left a message telling me to call her back right away. Most unsolicited crank calls I get don't leave messages, because they only want to talk to humans.

I just waited a while, called back the number the call came from, and wound up talking to a little old lady that hardly spoke English. When the original gal called back, I picked up the phone ready to cut the call short, and after she went through her speech and asked if I knew what she was talking about, I told her "No, I haven't a "f'ing" clue what you're talking about". All of a sudden there was no one else on the call but me. Never got another call like that.

It's not rude, no. However I sometimes get calls from work from a cell that I've never gotten a call from before and the way people wander about the country now you can't tell by area code. In addition I have a funny situation. The computer guy we deal with has a cell that T-Mobile says is "unknown". Even he doesn't understand that.
Oh I get some of those on occasion, though more often than not, it's "Unavailable", which to me is just as silly, but I heard from a friend of mine that her provider asked her what she wanted to appear in the Caller ID when she called folks, so I think "Unavailable" is when folks chose to not have their name, and sometimes phone number, appear in Caller ID.

I have all my friends and relatives in the phone's Directory, so when they call I know it. I only started getting silly calls on my cellphone this past 1 to 1 1/2 years. Before that I never got crank calls on the cellphone.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yay Lorraine is in the house...it's my first day of holidays and I'm feeling really positive about this three weeks off! :applause::applause::applause:
Pen, I feel your pain with your computer. Shannon has mine AGAIN as now it refuses to turn on. It might be the motherboard or the power supply. I did take it by bus down to the Waikato and it may have not liked that as the bus driver was pretty rough with the luggage. I had the hard drive in my hand luggage so he didn't manage to kill that! I still have a laptop to play on but it's so limited.
Oh no! I always feel lost when I've not got my computer.
I'm thinking of getting one of these set up. My computer guy says he could use my old computer to do it, I haven't decided whether I want to do that or buy one that's been specially made to back up stuff. In the meantime I'm trying to remember to regularly back up stuff on a spare external hard drive.
Network-attached storage - Wikipedia
But some good news. I finally have a new generator! It's an inverter type so if/when my desktop gets back to the boat I can run it straight off it. I will be getting another UPS but. Till I get that it will run through the boat inverter as before. Better to run it straight off and through a UPS as it could shorten the life of the inverter.
Yay! Glad that you have your new generator! Hope it doesn't give you the fumes and noise of the old one.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have a NAS set up in a secluded part of the house just in case I am ever burgled, that way if they nick all my computers I still have all those files that are not easy or impossible to replace.

I rarely answer scam calls and let the answer machine take it but there are occasions when I am expecting a call and I have to answer then I occasionally pick up a scammer. My mother-in-law on the other hand cannot just let the phone ring and must answer so gets two or three scams some weeks. She is not really up on things and getting to the age where I worry just what she might do on the phone.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Hey Pen! Yep, I'm back in the hoose!

I don't get scam calls on my cellphone but I've often answered them when housesitting. My standard, never varied answer is "F$&k OFF!"

Charles West

Adventurous
For the most part I do not answer unknown calls either the 'unknown' marker or a number from other than my own area code. My friends and relatives numbers are programmed in my phone so they ID and I will answer. My phone went off 3 times in a row with a number and area code I was not familiar with... On the third call I cleared my throat and in my best announcer voice I said, "Hello you are on the air, Do you want your number broadcast?" Funny thing no response and a disconnect.

Hornet3d

Wise
For the most part I do not answer unknown calls either the 'unknown' marker or a number from other than my own area code. My friends and relatives numbers are programmed in my phone so they ID and I will answer. My phone went off 3 times in a row with a number and area code I was not familiar with... On the third call I cleared my throat and in my best announcer voice I said, "Hello you are on the air, Do you want your number broadcast?" Funny thing no response and a disconnect.

My wife has the habit of engaging with them for a few minutes and then asking them to hold a second as there is someone at the door. She then puts the phone down by the radio and carries on with her business.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
My husband doesn't answer any numbers he doesn't recognise on his phone. I will but if it sounds at all off I just hang up.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I figure if it's someone I need to talk to, they will leave a message, and I can call them back.

The few times I've answered the phone because I was expecting a call, but didn't recognize the number, or it was blocked, it was a solicitor :rolleyes:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Lol...sounds like me Alphina...I get like that sometimes. Still waking up...I want coffee but cat has decided to sit on my lap.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Morning Terre! I should be getting dressed but sat down for a minute as I wanted to cool down after doing 20 minutes on an exercise bike and the cat has joined me again. I think she likes me being home.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Afternoon (just!) all! Right nippy here and I haven't ventured out from the covers yet. But my body is screaming for coffee so I must! I'm expecting an "are you shopping" call from my friends who lend me their car every Wednesday for me to do that so I have to make a move. So why am I still snuggled?!